Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 07:08 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,736,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
It does? How?

Arafat basically handed off power to Abbas, and Arafats organization (Fatah? or something like that) has a huge infleunce to this day; the cult of personality was never broke with Arafat's death. This is no different than how NK hands off power. If Arafat did not groom anyone to hand power to, and if his organization was not influential, the PLO's fate would have been left in the hands of who ever obtained power.
Then HAMAS or the PFLP would quickly jump in. The names are different, but the same effect occurs.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:30 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'd say it wasn't false advertising:

“budget travel to destinations your mother would rather you stayed away from”.
North Korea Travel and Tourism | Young Pioneer Tours
The first line of their FAQ:
Quote:
How safe is it?
Extremely safe! Despite what you may hear, North Korea is probably one of the safest places on Earth to visit. Tourism is very welcomed in North Korea, thus tourists are cherished and well taken care of. We have never felt suspicious or threatened at any time. In fact, North Korean’s are super friendly and accommodating, if you let them into your world. Even during tense political moments tourism to the DPRK is never affected.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:17 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,374,374 times
Travel to N Korea "is extremely safe," says tour operator...

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/1...ea-travel.html

Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Ay, how this thread has grown. I'll just leave this here then go back and read through the thread. A solid article regarding the latest on Otto. If you click it, I'd suggest using an adblock browser for your own comfort.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:32 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
They SAID he ripped a poster off the wall. That doesn't mean he did. Suppose he did though. Do you think prison and being put into a coma is a reasonable punishment?

It's my understanding that he was on a side tour, promoted by the tour company as safe.

Let's stop blaming the victim.
Going to North Korea in the first place is essentially the problem here.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:57 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,469,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
I'd say it wasn't false advertising:

“budget travel to destinations your mother would rather you stayed away from”.
North Korea Travel and Tourism | Young Pioneer Tours
Hmm, this makes me think of his statement at his 'hearing': something on the order of "Please, think of my parents..., I'm the oldest son. They need me. Blah blah blah". Maybe he should have thought of them...?

Last edited by tangelag; 06-17-2017 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: OMG, I wrote 'should of' Yikes!

Old 06-17-2017, 10:50 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Methinks Otto and/or his parents didn't read this before dire warning before giving their tourist dollars to North Korea:
Quote:
The DPRK funnels revenue from a variety of sources to its nuclear and weapons programs, which it prioritizes above everything else, often at the expense of the well-being of its own people. It is entirely possible that money spent by tourists in the DPRK goes to fund these programs. We would urge all travelers, before travelling to the DPRK, to consider what they might be supporting. Source: https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html
So it's likely that Otto directly, single-handedly contributed about $1,000 to North Korea's missile program. Not to mention every other tourist who visits is also contributing to a possible WWIII. Ugh, this information makes me feel ill.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:20 PM

424 posts, read 236,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Blaming the victim? He went despite the knowledge what NK does and potentially can do. That is like someone jumping into the water with a bunch of sharks and getting bit, but then saying "do not blame the victim."

There are numerous other countries to go to in the world, and this idiot picked NK of all places to go; a country that is ruled by a psychopath with absolute power, and with little regard for civilized norms the rest of the world, in general, has. Even worse, NK as a very adversarial with the US, and has detained and imprisoned US citizens with little "real" reason, some of which are still detained to this day.

The next on the list of idiot spots to go are places like Somalia, Libya, and Afghanistan, and that is just because the government is rather weak, if even existing in parts of the country.
Wait, so are you recommending that I call off my trip to Syria this summer?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's a good analogy.

His parents blame the tour company, they blame the US for not trying to rescue him, they blame everyone but Otto and themselves. They have to be asking themselves where they went wrong as parents, though. Of course, they'll never say that publicly, but they have to be questioning themselves. I teach my children that if you want to travel, be careful where you go, and go to learn about other cultures. Don't go to get selfies for social media or steal things or mock the customs of another country. Be respectful of their culture and their laws. It's weird how so many Americans think they have some kind of immunity when they travel other places. It springs from arrogance and entitlement.
When I was in college and grad school (in the late 2000s and early 2010s), I backpacked through Europe and Asia. My parents basically put the fear of god into me and I was very careful and mindful of my surroundings.

But many of the people I met along the way were quite the opposite. This did not only include Americans, mind you, but Brits, Aussies, and Scots as well. They acted like they could just do whatever they wanted, which can go very wrong especially in the third world countries.

I was especially baffled with some of the women that I met. A few were routinely becoming heavily intoxicated and going home with strange men. Very risky. That's how situations like the Natalee Holloway case happen.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Let's stop blaming the victim.
If I, a white man, were to walk in the middle of the projects with a one hundred dollar bill hanging out of my zipper, yelling the n-word and I get robbed and murdered, would you consider me to be a victim?

This is a similar situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events