Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 10:26 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
My god! this young man is 21 and should know better! What part of no can not be comprehended? Why do people continue to think that everyone in the world thinks as they do, they don't. Americans have been warned about travel to this country for decades what's the surprise? Your fed up with people being so critical, I'm tired of complacency and not holding people accountable for their actions. Yes he made a mistake and has paid a high price but I just read a story about a man who was in prison here for 15 years for snatching a ladies purse, he only got out because someone else confessed to the crime.

What's the difference?
Why does there have to be a difference? That's outrageous too. Feeling compassion for Otto doesn't mean we don't care about any other person who suffers injustice. Why would you think you can only feel compassion for one person at a time? I don't really understand what you're arguing.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:30 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,349 times
Yes, not everybody thinks the same! And because of that there are those who are adventurous and like to travel to countries that not everybody travels to.

I bet you didn't read any of the links I posted that would give an idea of why people (who think differently from you) would travel to places you won't go to. It's not just Americans going to these places either.

So, are you going to tell Otto's parents how you feel? Do you think they should turn their back on him because he should have known better than to travel to North Korea?

Old 06-15-2017, 10:33 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
I guess there's no real surprise here...

"An American college student who was imprisoned in North Korea and returned to his home state of Ohio in a coma suffered a “severe neurological injury”, according to a hospital spokeswoman."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-severe-injury

Old 06-15-2017, 10:39 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
I did a little searching online and found some articles written from people who visited North Korea. Now, I know I am not going to travel their, but I wanted to see what motivated someone to visit. There are those people who like traveling to different countries that are unlike where they live. Some want to visit as many countries as they can. So for people to think it is ridiculous and stupid to visit North Korea, you will see what people think that traveled there. I certainly think from what I read that you can go with a tour group and be safe if you follow the rules that they give you. Again, not everybody wants to visit North Korea. But, I wanted to understand why someone would want to go to North Korea.

What It's Like To Travel To North Korea - Wandering Earl

North Korea – Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy's goal is to see all 196 nations on this earth.
It's similar to how people felt when travel restrictions to Cuba were opened, or when the Iron Curtain fell 20 years ago. Here's this place that we've heard such terrible things about, and some people are curious.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:07 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why does there have to be a difference? That's outrageous too. Feeling compassion for Otto doesn't mean we don't care about any other person who suffers injustice. Why would you think you can only feel compassion for one person at a time? I don't really understand what you're arguing.
I certainly feel compassion for someone who served 15 years of a sentence when he was innocent.

I cannot bring myself to feel compassion for anyone that does something as stupid as traveling to North Korea, and then stealing from their government.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
So, are you going to tell Otto's parents how you feel? Do you think they should turn their back on him because he should have known better than to travel to North Korea?
Actually, they are partly to blame for his plight, for funding his trip in the first place, and I'm sure they have read that comment from thousands of people already.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's similar to how people felt when travel restrictions to Cuba were opened, or when the Iron Curtain fell 20 years ago. Here's this place that we've heard such terrible things about, and some people are curious.
Curiosity killed the cat.

ETA: For you young'uns, it's a proverb used to warn of the dangers of unnecessary investigation or experimentation.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:18 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,582,897 times
so he is in a coma, but safely in America. Could him getting into the coma have been a blessing in disguise? If he wasn't in the coma, he'd probably still be there in North Korea.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
so he is in a coma, but safely in America. Could him getting into the coma have been a blessing in disguise? If he wasn't in the coma, he'd probably still be there in North Korea.
Depends on if he ever comes out of the coma.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:35 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Depends on if he ever comes out of the coma.
And if the abuse he received caused permanent brain damage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events