Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhugeliang1 View Post
I wonder when we can get an update on his coma and what caused it?
I saw publicized yesterday that the parents were going to be on an exclusive interview with Tucker Carlson on Fox today. Did anyone catch it? I'll have to check the Fox website.

Update....It will be aired tomorrow night because of the top story today of the shooting at the Republican congressmen and reps today at the baseball field today.

I pray that this kid is going to come out of the coma and that he'll be alright.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcon View Post
American prisoners are isolated. It was probably the guards.
I don't know that I believe that, there is no one to check. They keep political prisoners in a separate area, but I don't know that Otto was considered that. He's not like a journalist they're holding for political purposes and don't want them to see the real deal. Otto was sentenced to hard labor, which I don't think is done in isolation.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-15-2017 at 05:32 AM..

Old 06-15-2017, 05:36 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Because he ripped a poster off a wall, which is not a prison worthy offense, let alone 15 years hard labor. I know people die in U.S. prisons, but there is absolutely no comparison to the suffering in a prison in a country like that, and this poor kid was in a country that is taught from birth to hate Americans. I don't understand why you think it's no big deal how he suffered, or we should be okay with it because people here suffer too(which is a ridiculous argument for anything, frankly).
Regrettable what he has suffered, no doubt about it.

But the bottom line remains, why would any ordinary American go to a thoroughly totalitarian country where you are entirely at the mercy of its government, and beyond the protection of our laws?

It is reckless and foolhardy.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:03 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

But the bottom line remains, why would any ordinary American go to a thoroughly totalitarian country where you are entirely at the mercy of its government, and beyond the protection of our laws?

It's not necessarily the foreign aspect, but how a place like NK is so arbitrary

Old 06-15-2017, 07:04 AM

836 posts, read 1,119,349 times
I did a little searching online and found some articles written from people who visited North Korea. Now, I know I am not going to travel their, but I wanted to see what motivated someone to visit. There are those people who like traveling to different countries that are unlike where they live. Some want to visit as many countries as they can. So for people to think it is ridiculous and stupid to visit North Korea, you will see what people think that traveled there. I certainly think from what I read that you can go with a tour group and be safe if you follow the rules that they give you. Again, not everybody wants to visit North Korea. But, I wanted to understand why someone would want to go to North Korea.

What It's Like To Travel To North Korea - Wandering Earl

North Korea – Ramblin Randy
Ramblin Randy's goal is to see all 196 nations on this earth.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,183,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
It's not necessarily the foreign aspect, but how a place like NK is so arbitrary
Exactly my point...it is not that it is a foreign country, but that it is a totalitarian country.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:29 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
The mistake is going to North Korea in the first place. Sure most of those who go leave without a problem. But there are no guarantees about anything there, and if you are accused of anything they call all the shots and they don't give a flip about the rest of the world.

Seems like a big "not worth it" risk for anyone. I hope that he can be effectively treated for his botulism upon his return.
This ^^^^ The parents are now speaking out, understand how they feel, but could put other Americans or any westerner still being held there in more harms way.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
the banner looked to be more like a 10 foot long wall plaque, not sure it would have fit into his pocket or down his pants even if this bs story were true
OK, perhaps it was not truly "pocketable". That aside, I don't think his family disputes that he tried to "pocket" a souvenir. Likewise, a friend has evidently admitted that he made a request for one.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:18 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:

I think the way you've stated it is perfect.

Look, I've traveled (solitary) to Thailand (extensively), Malaysia, Indonesia, and Singapore. In each case I studied up for my trip and paid special attention to the risks of the countries in general, and in terms of specific areas I was visiting. You have to know what you're getting into. Even in Thailand, which is a pretty safe place to visit, I've watched Americans get arrested for throwing a cigarette butt or a tiny piece of paper on the sidewalk. A scam, but one nevertheless is -- at least briefly -- rather scary.

Of all the countries in the world to want to visit, North Korea would seem like one of the very least hospitable, and one where the American government is probably not going to be able to provide much help if you do get into trouble.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:19 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Young Pioneer Tours reviewed on Trip Advisor with 490 Excellent reviews and 14 very good reviews.

My god! This young man is 21 years old. He made a mistake. Some of you who can do nothing but criticize should be ashamed of yourselves. Feeling righteous is so disgusting. I'm fed up with people being so critical of others and showing no compassion.

Try to have a good day.
My god! this young man is 21 and should know better! What part of no can not be comprehended? Why do people continue to think that everyone in the world thinks as they do, they don't. Americans have been warned about travel to this country for decades what's the surprise? Your fed up with people being so critical, I'm tired of complacency and not holding people accountable for their actions. Yes he made a mistake and has paid a high price but I just read a story about a man who was in prison here for 15 years for snatching a ladies purse, he only got out because someone else confessed to the crime.

What's the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events