Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 05:13 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There wouldn't be any problems, no one is going to send our armies in because of one dead kid. If the U.S. were able to do anything, they would have tried to get him (as well as the other Americans in NK prison) out. Also no one would have even known about it for 15 years, since there was no way for anyone to be in contact with him or find out how he was.
One weird thing about this is that his parents were interviewed on CNN & Fox just within the last couple months, and they said there was one woman in NK assigned to keep communication with them regarding the welfare of their son Otto. The impression she gave them was all positivity, Otto was supposedly fine, she even had them believing & parroting that North Korea is a good country with good people, and their son was in good hands. The power of brainwashing!

*https://youtu.be/DBMYmlIp0tY

*https://youtu.be/a7zQKdz6ksE

Old 06-13-2017, 05:19 PM

285 posts, read 224,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Did no one here ever make a foolish decision when young? I am very sad for the lack of compassion by a few here.

I made 1000 stupid decisions while I was young. "There but for the Grace of God", and all that.
Save
No. Everyone here on CD is perfect and has never made a bad decision in their lives.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
If you read anything about their prison camps, it shouldn't be too hard to imagine.
Well this other former American prisoner took his NK hard labor much more pragmatically & with emotional maturity: https://youtu.be/3jr9BzRNDMs
*https://youtu.be/S6jd31y5zuc
(Granted he did get himself imprisoned INTENTIONALLY with plans to write a book, so I suppose dealing with it pragmatically was the only option.)

And then we have Otto: https://youtu.be/jkZqj281Uqw

My personal opinion of Otto Warmbier, from what little I've gleaned, is not favorable. Granted he was in a horrifically stressful, terrifying position in the "hearing" NK* made public, but his WHINY, GROVELING, BABY voice, I just couldn't stand it, and I almost think NK hated him too just for his cocky arrogant personality, and I wouldn't be surprised if his "poster-stealing" allegation https://youtu.be/SzVGIAcLsf8 was staged & he was framed & coerced to state his guilt on camera in front of all the officials.

I'm fascinated by this story because I spent military service in korea, and just last month or two I was pondering how Otto has been doing.

Now finding out he fell into a coma so soon after his trial...actually that would be preferable to the 15 months of hard labor he would've had so far...plus 13+ more years to go...instead he only had ONE month of hard labor before falling into a coma. Let's see if he recovers...or not

Last edited by Zelpha; 06-13-2017 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
someone in nk saw the name warmbier and thought it should be coldbeer and stuck him in an ice box

Old 06-13-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I hope that he can be effectively treated for his botulism upon his return.
Botulism? Do you have a source for this please?

edit: Washington Post mentioned botulism https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...GQ16R-o_GzJBDg

Last edited by Zelpha; 06-13-2017 at 06:13 PM..

Old 06-13-2017, 06:06 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,922,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Botulism? Do you have a source for this please?
Every news source has been saying it is Botulism because that's what North Korea attributed the coma to.

However, there are scientists and doctors saying they are not sure that would cause it.

We won't have clear answers for a day or two most likely.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 PM

510 posts, read 499,924 times
I have been following this story for awhile and I was wondering when they were going to release him. Just a FYI to those who are quick to judge him. At this moment, we have no clue if he even stole the poster. Have you read his "confession". It is really out there as a motivation, but makes for amazing North Korean propaganda. For all we know they whole thing was set-up.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:13 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,079 times
NYT mentioned an intelligence report that the US had received in recent weeks that Otto had been repeatedly beaten and there were concerns that the beatings had killed him.

I feel so sorry for his parents.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,467,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
I have been following this story for awhile and I was wondering when they were going to release him. Just a FYI to those who are quick to judge him. At this moment, we have no clue if he even stole the poster. Have you read his "confession". It is really out there as a motivation, but makes for amazing North Korean propaganda. For all we know they whole thing was set-up.
No one is judging him. He admitted to stealing the poster from a restricted area. There's never been a question about his guilt. The only question pertains to his horrendous sentence by the NKs, and now about his coma. I don't know that we'll ever find out the truth about that.

Stay out of North Korea. That's sound advice. Personally, I have no desire to travel beyond America's borders.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:16 PM

2,301 posts, read 1,884,920 times
His parents I feel sorry for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events