Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 11:41 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times

Advertisements

All because of a stupid mistake. Poor guy. I hope he pulls out of it and recovers.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:32 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,254,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
The mistake is going to North Korea in the first place. Sure most of those who go leave without a problem. But there are no guarantees about anything there, and if you are accused of anything they call all the shots and they don't give a flip about the rest of the world.

Seems like a big "not worth it" risk for anyone. I hope that he can be effectively treated for his botulism upon his return.
Absolutely agree with this. What is it going to take for people to wake up and realize that N. Korea is to be avoided all costs. This is NOT a tourist destination people! Stay away and spend your travel dollars elsewhere.

Some will surely say that by staying away "they" win. Good, let them "win". I'll stay safe and sound here thank you.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:38 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
But the bottom line remains, why would any ordinary American go to a thoroughly totalitarian country where you are entirely at the mercy of its government, and beyond the protection of our laws?
He was an entitled young man who felt nothing bad could happen to him, or if it did, that mommy and daddy could bail him out. He was in a college fraternity and had rich parents. In short, he thought he could get away with anything, because rich people often do.

But alas, mommy and daddy could not get him out of North Korea.

And the fact is, he committed a crime which he admitted to, and is on videotape.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:39 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,284,701 times
I read he was in a vegetative state.

I feel bad for him, but he made some really bad choices.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:44 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why does there have to be a difference? That's outrageous too. Feeling compassion for Otto doesn't mean we don't care about any other person who suffers injustice. Why would you think you can only feel compassion for one person at a time? I don't really understand what you're arguing.
My response was too another poster who once again can't understand why people have no compassion for Otto. No means no and the younger generation along with too many adults think saying your sorry is all it take to right a wrong, it doesn't. Most of the world live by a far different standard then we do and this person is old enough to follow the rules. My second example was to show that in this country we have extreme punishment for what is viewed as a minor offenses also.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:47 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,569,326 times
That poor fool should never have gone to North Korea.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:08 PM

510 posts, read 499,985 times
Man some people in this thread are incredible vindictive. We know next to nothing about the circumstances surrounding this from Otto's perspective. About the only thing he is "guilty" of is traveling to North Korea.

Let's review the evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzVGIAcLsf8&t=11s

This link shows the evidence of Otto removing the banner. Folks watch it for a second. You cannot tell who that is. That can be anyone.

The methodist church mentioned in Otto's confession has no association with Warmbier's family.

No person who offered the money in exchange of the poster has been found. The agreement was either a $10,000 used car or $200,000 to his family if he was detained. Supposedly, this was to help his family who had fallen on financial difficulties. However there is no suggestion his family was in financial straights. Indeed, it seems like a plurality on this forum think he is "rich".

Otto is a student the University of Virginia who has a scholarship and was on the dean's list. He was also the Salutatorian at his high school. He is not a dumb kid as people are claiming. He has also travel abroad in the past so it doesn't seem like he would be green enough to think he could get away with ignoring local laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.aabfd104d8d5

His roommate on the trip doesn't think he did it.

His confession came two months after his detainment. Previous detainees have told of being psychologically tortured into a forced confession as well. This should come to no surprise. The kangaroo court was simply made for propaganda. Stop acting like it is a real confession.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:27 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
Man some people in this thread are incredible vindictive. We know next to nothing about the circumstances surrounding this from Otto's perspective. About the only thing he is "guilty" of is traveling to North Korea.
And that is all the "guilt" it takes to destroy a life. Maybe Otto was like you, thinking somehow NK is a country like others where your fate is solely dependent on your actions and words, that if you just have good intentions in your heart that good things will result. Maybe he did it or maybe NK just needed a pawn and he drew the black bean that day. Either way, his real mistake was being there and being under the jurisdiction of a govt/leader like that.

He was arrested at the airport after having checked out of the hotel. Personally, I think he thought he was hours away from being out of there and would be gone before they discovered his parting act.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:23 PM

497 posts, read 696,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Personally, I think he thought he was hours away from being out of there and would be gone before they discovered his parting act.
Did you even watch the video "evidence" linked in the post above yours? If so, how can you even say that was him?

I also thought he was guilty of a stupid act, but then I saw the video. I personally think that video was staged by the NK government in order to have something to charge him with. Not sure why they went after him, but I don't believe that is him in the video and I believe his "confession" was coerced.

Old 06-15-2017, 05:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Did you even watch the video "evidence" linked in the post above yours? If so, how can you even say that was him?

I also thought he was guilty of a stupid act, but then I saw the video. I personally think that video was staged by the NK government in order to have something to charge him with. Not sure why they went after him, but I don't believe that is him in the video and I believe his "confession" was coerced.
Yes I did. So what? Their standard of "Evidence" or "proof" is not ours. Maybe there were only ten people on that floor and the other 9 had better alibis or denied it more convincingly? It doesn't matter if he did it or not, his mistake was being there.

I said my personal opinion is that he probably thought he was home free and would be gone before anyone noticed. I certainly wouldn't convict him on what I think "may have happened" or "probably happened", but NK might.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events