Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taluffen View Post
hmmm I wonder if this rouge state which has a history of detaining foreign nationals, including kidnapping 13 Japanese citizens during the 70s and 80s maybe, just maybe, picked a young, handsome, All-American looking student as a means to use as a bargaining chip for sanction talks or perhaps as a means to inject hard currency into their coffers.
And that is precisely why you do not go to a country like this in the first place. They do not observe or care about individual rights. It isn't about you or what you do. Once there, there is nothing you can say or do (or not say or don't do) that guarantees you won't draw the black bean.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:13 PM

836 posts, read 1,119,203 times
Young Pioneer Tours reviewed on Trip Advisor with 490 Excellent reviews and 14 very good reviews.

My god! This young man is 21 years old. He made a mistake. Some of you who can do nothing but criticize should be ashamed of yourselves. Feeling righteous is so disgusting. I'm fed up with people being so critical of others and showing no compassion.

Try to have a good day.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,648 times
I have been to N. Korea and found it quite interesting, however it is just dumb to not follow the rules. But you never know what they may take serious or not. During our tour, we took pictures of everything and while being in a bus with 30 people they were usually telling "no pictures now, as we pass military people" which was usually our sign "ah, get your cameras out, something interesting to come". Sometimes they would check our cameras when somebody was taking pictures of "forbidden" stuff too obious in front of the guides, but usually without any consequence. The arrest of Otto Warmbier was more political than anything else, however stealing items of that size that are of national pride is stupid. Just don't give them a chance to arrest an American when they are looking for one to arrest.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Marylee: First of all, I'm not suggesting people go to the Congo. Nor am I suggesting they not go. I'm just saying that if they're going to the Congo, they're not snowflakes. I'm curious as to what you expertise about the Congo is. You act as if you know all about it.
Depends on how you define "snowflake". They are idealists who see the world as they want it to be not as how it is. These are the people that insist the terrorists just want the same things as you and me, that deep down they are decent persons who just need to be understood and treated with dignity and respect.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:59 PM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Young Pioneer Tours reviewed on Trip Advisor with 490 Excellent reviews and 14 very good reviews.

My god! This young man is 21 years old. He made a mistake. Some of you who can do nothing but criticize should be ashamed of yourselves. Feeling righteous is so disgusting. I'm fed up with people being so critical of others and showing no compassion.

Try to have a good day.
Traveling to the other side of the world to an openly hostile country and (allegedly) getting caught stealing is a doozy of a mistake.
[CENTER]Save[/CENTER]

Old 06-14-2017, 06:02 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Depends on how you define "snowflake". They are idealists who see the world as they want it to be not as how it is. These are the people that insist the terrorists just want the same things as you and me, that deep down they are decent persons who just need to be understood and treated with dignity and respect.
Its amazing how truly gullible many young people are. They get suckered into a missionary or "do-gooder" trip. I don't know what the advantage is to whoever gets these groups together, probably a commission. Seems there's a better way to make a buck

Old 06-14-2017, 06:11 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
It would be highly unusual for someone his age to go into a coma. During his trial a video shows a young seemingly fit individual. I suspect at some point he was beaten senseless by his guards for some infraction. At any rate there will be a medical examination. Would be interesting to see the results.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:08 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
The list of countries to avoid is a lot longer than that if you're an American, or even European for that matter. U.S. citizens need to get it through their heads that the rights and protections they have at home do not apply when in a foreign country, especially one that hates our guts. You might even find yourself in a legal jam in one of our 'friendly' ally countries. If you want to travel abroad, but insist on taking your rights for granted, you might want to just stay home.
Lots and lots of countries don't have the legal protections we have. But the list of countries likely to imprison you for kicks and giggles or political reasons/false accusations of spying is a lot shorter. Russia isn't a place I'd like to get in trouble in, nor is China or a host of other places. But, I wouldn't worry about being randomly imprisoned either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
No one is judging him. He admitted to stealing the poster from a restricted area. There's never been a question about his guilt. The only question pertains to his horrendous sentence by the NKs, and now about his coma. I don't know that we'll ever find out the truth about that.

Stay out of North Korea. That's sound advice. Personally, I have no desire to travel beyond America's borders.
Yes, there is. The video is so blurry as to obscure anything. As to the confession? If I put you in a room with a skilled interrogator (TORTURER) you would confess to anything after awhile. Rubber hoses, electricity, beatings, waterboarding, bamboo shoots under your fingernails...

But I agree. Don't Go To North Korea.

Old 06-14-2017, 07:38 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
It would be highly unusual for someone his age to go into a coma. During his trial a video shows a young seemingly fit individual. I suspect at some point he was beaten senseless by his guards for some infraction. At any rate there will be a medical examination. Would be interesting to see the results.
I'm sure he was beaten by other prisoners, mercilessly. They are taught to despise Americans, and there are no protections for prisoners there. You probably don't eat if you can't fight for food, and the food is probably covered in maggots. Also "hard labor" can mean many things, but I'm quite sure it's heavy duty, physically torturous work, who knows how many hours a day, who knows if they get water or food or sleep ever. This is nothing at all like U.S. prisons.

Old 06-14-2017, 08:42 PM

111 posts, read 265,671 times
American prisoners are isolated. It was probably the guards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events