Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2017, 11:48 PM

424 posts, read 236,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He probably did think it would be like Disneyland. The guy was delusional and not grounded in reality at all. And many young adults, in college or just out, have no idea what these countries are really like. They have no idea how the American justice system is different. But it's more common these days, that college-aged people want to travel, anywhere, even if they can't in some cases, afford it. A lot of them have to be putting it on credit cards. It's like, they see it as a rite of passage or they have a sense of entitlement about traveling all over the world. For some of these people, like Amanda Knox and Natalie Holloway, it does not end well.

Every year, about 2,000 Americans get locked up abroad. And I'm sure a lot of them are young (under 25) and doing stupid things they shouldn't be doing in another country. They'd be better off just getting a job here in the US and start working on a career path. Nobody is going to be impressed that they traveled to all these countries, anyway. No one will care.
Off-topic, but I think Amanda Knox was guilty. There is very strong evidence that supports that she was basically a psychopath.

Either way, I did live in Italy for a few months and it certainly was no North Korea.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:24 AM

579 posts, read 367,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
If I, a white man, were to walk in the middle of the projects with a one hundred dollar bill hanging out of my zipper, yelling the n-word and I get robbed and murdered, would you consider me to be a victim?

This is a similar situation.
Have you seen ANY evidence other than his taped "confession" that indicates he actually DID the crimes? And what, he was gonna sell it to some unnamed person outside of NK for $10,000, and if he was "detained and not returned" his mother would get $200,000. ALL of this with "the tacit connivance of the U.S. government and under its manipulation."?

NK says he held this video session at his own request:

Does that look like someone doing something of their own accord? Because that body language is someone afraid for his life.

You really think any of this isn't made up? When would he have been able to:

Sneak out of his room, past the "guides" (present 24/7 as floor monitors) into another part of the hotel, sneak past any floor monitors there, steal "Th' Poster of Awesomeness!", sneak back past the hall monitors and into his room. All being undetected. What is he, John Clark from the Tom Clancy novels?

And then, later, they roll back the tapes and discover the theft of "Th' Poster of Awesomeness!" and rush out to the airport to detain him (he was arrested at the airport). American tourists are under surveillance 24/7! There's no place or opportunity for them to wander unaccompanied.

The guy was a pawn being held as a hostage on made up charges because of NKs recent nuclear testing and the US response to it. He's justifiably afraid for his life and is trying to appease his captors in order to gain his freedom.

You can argue he was foolish to go to NK, but that doesn't make him a criminal, and it doesn't mean he should be subject to what is effectively state sponsored kidnapping.

It's lunacy to believe the North Korean version of events. Pure lunacy.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Have you seen ANY evidence other than his taped "confession" that indicates he actually DID the crimes? And what, he was gonna sell it to some unnamed person outside of NK for $10,000, and if he was "detained and not returned" his mother would get $200,000. ALL of this with "the tacit connivance of the U.S. government and under its manipulation."?

NK says he held this video session at his own request:

Does that look like someone doing something of their own accord? Because that body language is someone afraid for his life.

You really think any of this isn't made up? When would he have been able to:

Sneak out of his room, past the "guides" (present 24/7 as floor monitors) into another part of the hotel, sneak past any floor monitors there, steal "Th' Poster of Awesomeness!", sneak back past the hall monitors and into his room. All being undetected. What is he, John Clark from the Tom Clancy novels?

And then, later, they roll back the tapes and discover the theft of "Th' Poster of Awesomeness!" and rush out to the airport to detain him (he was arrested at the airport). American tourists are under surveillance 24/7! There's no place or opportunity for them to wander unaccompanied.

The guy was a pawn being held as a hostage on made up charges because of NKs recent nuclear testing and the US response to it. He's justifiably afraid for his life and is trying to appease his captors in order to gain his freedom.

You can argue he was foolish to go to NK, but that doesn't make him a criminal, and it doesn't mean he should be subject to what is effectively state sponsored kidnapping.

It's lunacy to believe the North Korean version of events. Pure lunacy.
I don't think he committed the crime.

He was obviously set up.

My post was in regards to him going there to begin with. If you play with fire, you're gonna get burned.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:40 AM

384 posts, read 434,641 times
Did the Trump administration agree to pay for a ransom?
Poor kid. Whatever happened to him, won't bring him back.
The parents being mad at the Obama's administration is misguided anger,imo.
The only vilain here is the NK government.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:44 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,254 times
This whole story is so sad and unfortunate. Otto took the risk by going to such a country that is virulently anti-American and most likely paid for it with his own life.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 AM

31 posts, read 20,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
This whole story is so sad and unfortunate. Otto took the risk by going to such a country that is virulently anti-American and most likely paid for it with his own life.

I think you are 100% on target...it was a great risk going to North Korea as an American/westerner. I hope they are able to help Otto here in the US and his condition gets better. Prayers.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDistinguishedGentleman View Post
Off-topic, but I think Amanda Knox was guilty. There is very strong evidence that supports that she was basically a psychopath.
Oh yes, same here. I think she was likely guilty in some aspect of the crime.

Old 06-18-2017, 12:12 PM

Knox was also doing a study-abroad program, as Warmbier was.

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Knox was also doing a study-abroad program, as Warmbier was.
Big difference here though.

I also did an exchange program in Italy.

At no time was I ever:

1) Murdered.
2) Accused of murder.
3) Involved in a murder.
4) Given the feeling that I was in danger of being murdered.

Italy is a very benign country. On the spectrum of safety, it is way closer to the US than it is to North Korea.

Regardless of what North Korea travelers say, I can't imagine that they ALWAYS felt safe (even on a 3 day trip).

Old 06-18-2017, 01:49 PM

I've been to Italy, was a victim of crime there, and at no time did I ever feel safe. The country is also over run with many people from all over the world. I honestly never want to go back there. I'm sure that thirty years ago, it was a beautiful country to visit, and much safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events