Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2017, 05:25 PM

135 posts, read 94,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxlrod View Post
north korea murdered an american citizen.
this!!!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
No one ever claimed there was a guarantee of complete safety. A risk in traveling is getting pickpocketed or coming down with food poisoning, not being sentenced to hard labor for (a most likely fabricated incident of) petty theft and coming home brain dead.
But you know there is a risk of being arrested for no reason, if you travel to North Korea.

Also, it appears that his parents financed the trip. If that's true, it is incredibly sad as they were older, wiser and should have known better.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 PM

50,346 posts, read 63,928,555 times
So Otto has just died. A sad end. I do not know the details, but I suspect the parents opted to pull the plug.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
But you know there is a risk of being arrested for no reason, if you travel to North Korea.

Also, it appears that his parents financed the trip. If that's true, it is incredibly sad as they were older, wiser and should have known better.
It's not unusual for parents to pay for all or part of their kids' travels in high school and college (mine certainly did.) By all accounts his parents are also not stupid people who would just throw money away on a whim. It's easy to say in hindsight that they should have known better and done more, but if they were assured that their son was going off on an adventure and not to his doom, then they didn't think there was more to worry about than any parent. They'll certainly be punishing themselves for the rest of their lives.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:36 PM

17,551 posts, read 13,334,227 times
At least the current administration did something to bring him home to his parents before he died (if he wasn't dead already)

Old 06-19-2017, 05:37 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Ive wonderd with all the talk about No Korea's Missiles , and now this tragic death. Just what is the US waiting for with this sicko country. A missile to hit us, or more tragedies like this young man. I'm not sure why anyone would visit N Korea, but no one deserved what this young man got. N Korea is a bully and obviously wants trouble. Why is the world waiting. I certainly hope not until we suffer Mass casualties, before addressing how dangerous they are.

I feel badly for his parents. I honestly don't understand why the US is tolerating N Korea.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:38 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times
At least his parents were able to re-unite with him, and hold him one last time. I understand he appeared agitated when he first arrived, then seemed to settle into a more peaceful state. Hopefully a portion of his brain was able to realize he was home, with those who loved him. At least this is better than living for years in a coma. He can receive a Christian burial and be buried on American soil, which is small comfort, but better than never knowing his fate, not knowing even if he was dead or alive.

I agree, he was murdered

Old 06-19-2017, 05:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,374,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not unusual for parents to pay for all or part of their kids' travels in high school and college (mine certainly did.) By all accounts his parents are also not stupid people who would just throw money away on a whim. .
I never said it was unusual for parents to pay. But no intelligent parent that I know of, would finance a trip for their son or daughter to go to North Korea. That's not rational or reasonable at all. They are indeed foolish if they financed this trip. This attempt to make it seem "normal" for a parent to finance their child's trip to North Korea, isn't working. It's just not.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:53 PM

4,544 posts, read 3,746,709 times
I don't personally know Otto or his family, but I am sad just like you guys. I've been thinking about this ever since leaving work this afternoon and his story. It just gets me down.

I know he's to blame for GOING to North Korea, but look at that video. How can you even tell it's him? I'm not sure he even did STEAL the sign. Or let alone remove it from the wall.

Again, I just feel sad that he is so young and his parents also. And the more frustrating thing? What can America do about it? Almost nothing because each solution has bad consequences. But North Korea themselves killed an American citizen, a young guy at that, and hopefully they will have their own consequences. Trump called all politicians weak for not doing anything in the past -well what is he going to do?

Old 06-19-2017, 06:15 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
This is what we have to expect when in many classrooms, Donald Trump, the Republican Party, and anyone to the right of the "snowflake mentality" are depicted as authoritarian criminals not far removed from North Korea, while the true workings of a parliamentary democratic system, as opposed to those in much of the Third World, receive little attention, or are at best oversimplified.

The delicate art of statecraft was never intended to be turned into a demeaning and disgusting public show formatted for twelve-year-olds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events