Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 07:51 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
why the parents do not want any further investigations on his body?
Jewish tradition generally forbids autopsies.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:07 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,526,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimtheGuy View Post
What is a shame is that the US spends any time and/or any resources trying to get people released who willingly travel to places like NK. Places like that should be 100% travel at your own risk as we can't/won't help you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I agree with you. If a country has no formal diplomatic relationship with another country (and I don't mean through third parties), then the American government should do exactly as you suggest.
People assume that the State Dept./U.S. Embassies in foreign countries will help you if you get into legal trouble in another country. They can't - they might offer advice on how to retain a lawyer based in that country but they can't extract you from the situation, even in countries that the US has diplomatic relationships with. Each country retains sovereignty, which is why Amanda Knox served time in an Italian prison when she was found guilty by an Italian court.

That is why you need to be familiar with the laws of the country that you are planning to visit.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,648,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
The Dr's said at the press conference that his brain injury was not from Traumatic Brian Injury
Ya, I saw that a while ago. Perplexing case.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:10 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,485,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartWA View Post
I remember some years ago I wanted to go to Cuba. I was plotting all the places I could leave from, then how to get back into the US. I never went though, because the US government said I couldn't. Right or wrong, I couldn't go. I could never see any Cubans doing anything remotely like these insane North Koreans, but still, if something happened to me over there, I would be on my own. Then I'd be in a whole lot of trouble back in the US!

This incident is upsetting, but the bottom line is, stay out of places like this!!!

I hope that fat midget with the bad hair-do gets an inoperable brain tumor. Then when he goes for treatment, oooops! Dear Midget just slipped into a coma!
I think if you went to Cuba and were imprisoned and had people here in the US lobbying for you the actions would be the same. The US Government would get involved, it would try to do something and it may or may not fail. The difference is we have a much closer relationship with Cuba, even though we ain't close. We have shared history and ties, they drive old American care but North Korea is just alien.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:30 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We have gone to wars for worse reasons or no reason at all. Kissing and hugging the enemy and singing Kumbaya and holding candlelight vigils won't solve anything. Never have. It's time to send the message that killing innocent Americans is a mistake our enemies can't afford to make.
Except, according to them, he wasn't innocent. Do you think other countries should be able to attack us when we convict one of their citizens that they have decided is innocent?

Old 06-21-2017, 10:55 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
People assume that the State Dept./U.S. Embassies in foreign countries will help you if you get into legal trouble in another country. They can't - they might offer advice on how to retain a lawyer based in that country but they can't extract you from the situation, even in countries that the US has diplomatic relationships with. Each country retains sovereignty, which is why Amanda Knox served time in an Italian prison when she was found guilty by an Italian court.

That is why you need to be familiar with the laws of the country that you are planning to visit.
I don't think anyone here is naive enough to think the U.S. government just gets someone out of trouble and whisks you away.

Here's what they can do: https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...es/arrest.html

Old 06-21-2017, 11:11 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I don't think anyone here is naive enough to think the U.S. government just gets someone out of trouble and whisks you away.
I agree that no one posting in this thread is that naive. I do think some young people are, though; being young they think nothing bad will ever happen, and anyway being an American protects them. Sadly, too many of them learn the hard way (but the lesson usually involves a harsh jail sentence, not being sentenced to 15 years in a gulag and certainly not brain death).

Old 06-21-2017, 11:14 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,980,919 times
And US residents really should check out travel.state.gov and the travel section on the CDC website before they go abroad. Both are a treasure trove of useful information!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:36 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Sure they do. They kill people without reason every single day.
Exactly!

If the tables were turned (impossible - I know).. that fatboy in NK would be screaming in his diaper that we were declaring war and all his usual mumbo jumbo. Has he said anything?

Old 06-21-2017, 12:44 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,470,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Jewish tradition generally forbids autopsies.

^ 'generally'. Not in all cases, not at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events