Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:51 PM

36,823 posts, read 31,102,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
And the dress codes are based on what people think.
"This is what one wears here. This is what one wears there"

It's going to be difficult for me to be convinced that

is a more civil take than "meh"
Yes and people think that when eating in a restaurant that patrons and employees should be dressed accordingly. Most people do not want to eat dinner with others who are perhaps barefoot and barely clothed. If you want to dine that way go to an establishment that is open to meh, whatever.
Societies are built on what people think from what we wear here, how we speak there, what we eat and drink to not discriminating based on race, gender or sexual orientation, etc. to not killing others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 PM

33,033 posts, read 36,611,665 times
Quote:
Imagine making a post like this and thinking that it insults anyone other than yourself.
OK, you take that table.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:18 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 5 days ago)

35,928 posts, read 18,217,899 times
She's dressed completely inappropriately, her shirt says "weirdo" and she looks crazy in that photo.

Really?

I would be sure other patrons would complain and the restaurant was just trying to head that off, and they have the perfect excuse - their dress code is you have to wear a shirt. She isn't.

On the other hand, I do agree with those who say if she was 17 and thin and behaved normally she might have gotten away with a top like that. That's just life in business. The restaurant doesn't want to deal with patrons complaining.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:23 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,935,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Yes and people think that when eating in a restaurant that patrons and employees should be dressed accordingly. Most people do not want to eat dinner with others who are perhaps barefoot and barely clothed.
I know that I, certainly, when I go to a restaurant, check to make sure that every other patron isn't barefoot. It's quite important to me to know that no one eating in the same restaurant I am is perhaps barefoot.

Actually, no, I don't do that. And I've never seen anyone do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
OK, you take that table.
I would have absolutely zero problem doing so

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
She's dressed completely inappropriately, her shirt says "weirdo" and she looks crazy in that photo.

Really?
No. Not really.
Her shirt does say "weirdo", so you got that right.
Inappropriate dress is in the eye of the beholder.
As is crazy. I'd say she looks pissed off or upset - which, considering she was just kicked out of the restaurant, makes sense.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 5 days ago)

35,928 posts, read 18,217,899 times
Quote:
I know that I, certainly, when I go to a restaurant, check to make sure that every other patron isn't barefoot. It's quite important to me to know that no one eating in the same restaurant I am is perhaps barefoot.

Actually, no, I don't do that. And I've never seen anyone do it.

I would have absolutely zero problem doing so

No. Not really.
Her shirt does say "weirdo", so you got that right.
Inappropriate dress is in the eye of the beholder.
As is crazy. I'd say she looks pissed off or upset - which, considering she was just kicked out of the restaurant, makes sense.
Actually inappropriate dress is in the eye of the dress code.

A dress code that says no shoes no shirt no service can certainly defend their decision to ask her to leave. She's not wearing a shirt. Ok, in the letter of the law, she's wearing a shirt, but not in the spirit of the law.

And I stand by my opinion that she looks crazy. Frankly, anyone who goes into a restaurant looking like that . . . is a little crazy. Or is hoping to win a lawsuit $$$ because she predicts she will be asked to leave.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:28 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,179,092 times
A person who dresses like that is looking for attention. She got it.

What she didn't get was dinner. Lesson learned, hopefully.

It really isn't hard to dress decently. Nobody is asking ladies to wear stockings and a string of pearls at the local Applebee's. And I'm not a prude. I've been in a mosh pit. I've been thrown out of bars in my wayward youth, I've come up against ridiculous corporate dress codes and violated them ( oh my! Peep toe shoes !) but never did anyone have to tell me to cover up my belly when I was hugely pregnant. No one wants to see that except your OB-GYN.

I put this in the same category as the young guys with their asses hanging out of their pants. To quote Barack Obama, " Lots of folks don't want to see your underwear. I'm one of 'em."

Old 09-16-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
never did anyone have to tell me to cover up my belly when I was hugely pregnant. No one wants to see that except your OB-GYN.
People keep saying this like it means something.

All it means is "NLVgal doesn't want to see a pregnant woman's belly".
It doesn't mean "cbeisbol doesn't want to see a pregnant woman's belly". I'd notice it for about a second and a half and then go on eating my dinner and forget about it.
It doesn't mean "no one wants to see a pregnant woman's belly"

Old 09-16-2017, 08:52 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,179,092 times
Quote:
People keep saying this like it means something.

All it means is "NLVgal doesn't want to see a pregnant woman's belly".
It doesn't mean "cbeisbol doesn't want to see a pregnant woman's belly". I'd notice it for about a second and a half and then go on eating my dinner and forget about it.
It doesn't mean "no one wants to see a pregnant woman's belly"
Okay my friend, let's take an unscientific survey.

Go out and show 100 people the photograph of the exposed pregnant lady. Ask which percentage enjoys that vision.

To be fair, also take a photo of a man with thick thighs and hairy legs wearing Daisy Dukes, and ask the same question.

Please report back your findings that invalidate my assertion that nobody wants to see what the woman in question was showing. (* outside of a few fetishists, and you can make good money catering to them)

I wouldn't have paid her much mind either, but I don't own a restaurant that has to keep clientele.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:57 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,550,045 times
Our opinion on the taste, good/bad looks, etc of her outfit is irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is if it violates an actual rule/law.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Okay my friend, let's take an unscientific survey.

Go out and show 100 people the photograph of the exposed pregnant lady. Ask which percentage enjoys that vision.
Let's do that;;
If 1 out of those 100 says they're fine with it, then you're statement that "no one wants to see that is incorrect".
Should we put a wager on it? How confident are you that your opinion is universally shared?

Quote:
I wouldn't have paid her much mind either, but I don't own a restaurant that has to keep clientele.
You may want to remind yourself what the restaurant said about the situation.

Also, this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Our opinion on the taste, good/bad looks, etc of her outfit is irrelevant.

The only thing that is relevant is if it violates an actual rule/law.
Except that the rules/laws are based on our opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events