Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2017, 04:37 PM

15,517 posts, read 9,211,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I watched that clip...as long as the animal is manageable and not a disruption or a health hazard, which is the criteria, why does it upset people?
Well, in addition to the obvious issues, such as odors, messes, and dogs barking, a few years ago in Portland, a woman's emotional support pit bull attacked and killed another woman's emotional support Pomeranian dog on a crowded train (not the first time it has happened). How would you like to see a pit bull go berserk and start attacking other animals and people at 30,000 feet? If something isn't done to put a stop to this nonsense soon, it's just a matter of time before it happens. Leave your animals at home. You may love them, but not everybody wants to be around them. The world doesn't just revolve around you and your pet.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 09-29-2017 at 04:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 04:42 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I was on a SW flight from BWI-MHT last month, I had aisle my nephew had the window. The guy who wound up in the middle, Seated toward the end of boarding put his small item under the seat in front of him, I did not pay any attention to it.

When we all were getting off the plane, I then noticed his small item was a small kennel bag. He sat next to me the whole 90 minute flight and I never noticed he had a dog. Very Well behaved, (So much that I never noticed it), He did not take it out of the carrier. Dog ??slept?? quietly thru the flight I guess.

How would Life threatening professor react at 30,000 feet if she suddenly found out?
I had something similiar happen when I took my dog on a flight about 8 years ago. The man sitting next to me had a dog inches from his feet ( in a carrier of course) for over three hours, but never realized it. After getting off the plane, I put the carrier down in the waiting area and unzipped the top to check how my dog was doing. The man who was sitting next to me on the flight happened to also be standing in the waiting area. He had a look of shock on his face when he asked if the dog had been on the flight with me. He then complimented me on how well behave she was.

If he hadn't of stopped in the waiting area, he would have never known there was a dog on the flight sitting right next to him. I'm plenty of times when there have been dogs on flights, and people don't notice. Especially when they're sitting a few rows in front of or behind the person.

Although I did wonder if I should announce it to those around me if I were to ever fly with my dog again. If someone was allergic, I would want them to be aware and have a chance to move seats. But now I'd be afraid they'd cause a scene.

Last edited by Sundaydrive00; 09-29-2017 at 05:13 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 04:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,079,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Well, in addition to the obvious issues, such as odors, messes, and dogs barking, a few years ago in Portland, a woman's emotional support pit bull attacked and killed another woman's emotional support Pomeranian dog on a crowded train. How would you like to see a pit bull go berserk and start attacking other animals and people at 30,000 feet? If something isn't done to put a stop to this nonsense soon, it's just a matter of time before it happens. Leave your animals at home. You may love them, but not everybody wants to be around them. The world doesn't just revolve around you and your pet.
if someone brings there pet onto a plane, it needs to be in a carrier that fits underneath the seat. There are no dogs just wandering around the plane ready to attack at any second.

The last time I traveled with my dog, we were moving across the country. There was no option to just leave her at home, since the location of our home had changed.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:47 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Well, in addition to the obvious issues, such as odors, messes, and dogs barking, a few years ago in Portland, a woman's emotional support pit bull attacked and killed another woman's emotional support Pomeranian dog on a crowded train. How would you like to see a pit bull go berserk and start attacking other animals and people at 30,000 feet? If something isn't done to put a stop to this nonsense soon, it's just a matter of time before it happens. Leave your animals at home. You may love them, but not everybody wants to be around them. The world doesn't just revolve around you and your pet.
Oh now we go pit bull. Well you will be glad to know that many airlines exclude any dog of being even boarded as luggage if the airline worker believes they might be a pit bull. Even with documentation they aren't.

One of our dogs is part pit and we paid A LOT of money to have someone drive her (and our elderly non-pit) because of the chance she could be kicked off even the baggage department and that they don't keep dogs as baggage safe.

They don't keep animal baggage safe...at all. If I had to travel with a small dog, I would get them in the cabin any way I could so they didn't die in the belly of the plane. And I would if I could with big dogs. Dog owners don't want their dogs killed by the airline so forgive them for making sure they are safe in their laps or under their seats.

Old 09-29-2017, 04:50 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I had Something similiar happen when I took my dog on a flight about 8 years ago. The sitting next to me had a dog inches from his feet ( in a carrier of course) for over three hours, but never realized it. After getting off the plane, I seat the carrier down in the waiting area and unzipped the top to check how she was doing. The man who was sitting next to me on the flight happened to also be standing in the waiting area. He had a look of shock on his face when he asked if the dog had been on the flight with me. He then complimented me on how well behave she was.

If he hadn't of stopped in the waiting area, he would have never known there was a dog on the flight sitting right next to him. I'm plenty of times when there have been dogs on flights, and people don't notice. Especially when they're sitting a few rows in front of or behind the person.

Although I did wonder if I should announce it to those around me if I were to ever fly with my dog again. If someone was allergic, I would want them to be aware and have a chance to move seats. But now I'd be afraid they'd cause a scene.
The time I flew with a dog (puppy who was prone to whining and crying) and every time I have seen a dog on an airline (I have seen them lots of times) the dogs just sleep. Or cower. I don't know. But I have never encountered a loud yappy dog on a flight. And if it did happen, I would imagine it would be easy to soothe by giving it treats often...like toddlers.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:11 PM

15,517 posts, read 9,211,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Oh now we go pit bull. Well you will be glad to know that many airlines exclude any dog of being even boarded as luggage if the airline worker believes they might be a pit bull. Even with documentation they aren't.

One of our dogs is part pit and we paid A LOT of money to have someone drive her (and our elderly non-pit) because of the chance she could be kicked off even the baggage department and that they don't keep dogs as baggage safe.

They don't keep animal baggage safe...at all. If I had to travel with a small dog, I would get them in the cabin any way I could so they didn't die in the belly of the plane. And I would if I could with big dogs. Dog owners don't want their dogs killed by the airline so forgive them for making sure they are safe in their laps or under their seats.
Incorrect. They can not by law exclude any Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals. Under ADA rules any Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals can be brought anywhere.

Quote:
Titles II and III of the ADA makes it clear that service animals are allowed in public facilities and accommodations. A service animal must be allowed to accompany the handler to any place in the building or facility where members of the public, program participants, customers, or clients are allowed. Even if the business or public program has a “no pets” policy, it may not deny entry to a person with a service animal. Service animals are not pets. So, although a “no pets” policy is perfectly legal, it does not allow a business to exclude service animals.
When a person with a service animal enters a public facility or place of public accommodation, the person cannot be asked about the nature or extent of his disability. Only two questions may be asked:
1. Is the animal required because of a disability?
2. What work or task has the animal been trained to perform?
Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals

Old 09-29-2017, 05:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,204,216 times
Quote:
You may love them, but not everybody wants to be around them. The world doesn't just revolve around you and your pet.
bingo!

Old 09-29-2017, 05:33 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,887,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Never noticed them ...truly. And THAT should be illegal...period. If Muffy wants to travel , she can leave her designer mutt home.

It's not illegal because sanity prevailed.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:14 PM

947 posts, read 926,989 times
Passengers Applauded As Boy Was Removed From Plane Over Allergies, Mom Says | HuffPost

The people supporting the airlines are just like the people who applauded when a little boy and his dying father were kicked off a plane because the boy was allergic to dogs.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:24 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times
"Life-threatening allergies"? She's at fault.

But she's a professor by her own admission, so I guess that makes her more entitled than the rest of us peons.

Service dogs go everywhere. She should have made other arrangements.

Unfortunately for the cops the snotty professor was in the rear of the plane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events