Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 04:16 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,051,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I've been on Southwest flights a number of times when the flight attendant announced on the PA that there would be no peanuts because somebody was allergic.
But MAYBE the stewardesses ate them all already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:18 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,051,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I know there are.

We ran into a couple who had an enormous aggressive mastiff-type dog that they had convinced Amtrak was a "service animal." We weren't buying it -- anyone can get a fake "service animal" vest or documentation for their dog these days. This couple would give their beast just enough leash to allow it to lunge at us.

They were in first class, on the lower level, in the "family bedroom."

Service animal still has to behave.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:44 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,544,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
People can buy fake documents online and present them. The employees at the gate will take a cursory look but they can't verify or authenticate them. So almost every animal is allowed on a plane. I've heard of people passing off snakes and pigs as comfort animals.
Not all airlines require it to be a service dog. I have a small dog that flies with me all the time and the extra cost could almost pay for a seat ( although she must stay ina carrier under the seat. She never makes a sound and most times folks sitting next to me never know she is there until we land and I pull her carrier out.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:48 AM

4,138 posts, read 4,544,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Here's another example of how people value the lives of dogs more than people, I remember an incident where a man was shot dead by police because they thought he might hurt their dog.

Brother of Man Shot by Roseville Police Files Wrongful Death Suit | KSTP.com

The only reason the police were at his apartment was because his neighbors complained that he was being noisy. They knew he had mental health problems, and he was afraid to open the door because he said he had just been robbed. Yet the police broke into his apartment and sent a K-9 into the closet where he was hiding. When he waved his kitchen knife at the dog to defend himself, the cops filled him with lead. (And later they went around the apartment building to see if anybody else might have been hit by one of the bullets they fired.)

How does the public react? Most people who heard about the case supported the officers, because the life of the dog is more important! There were no BLM protest marches (because he was white, so his life doesn't matter). Nobody cared about the fact that the officers involved had been accused of police brutality in previous cases. The only thing that mattered is that the life of a dog is more important than the life of a man suffering from severe depression.

I am really getting sick of all the people who place so little value on human life and freedom, that they put the lives of some people below dogs.
I would murder anyone who intentionally seriously injured one of my dogs. I'm not saying it is right. I know I would go to jail but, just like a parent protecting their child, someone intentionally injures or kills one of my dogs, they will go down.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:55 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,204,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I would murder anyone who intentionally seriously injured one of my dogs. I'm not saying it is right. I know I would go to jail but, just like a parent protecting their child, someone intentionally injures or kills one of my dogs, they will go down.
I think that is a bad example. Someone intentionally trying to hurt an animal deserves what he/she gets. The real question is would you save your dogs life at the expense of another human?

Old 09-30-2017, 07:19 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,253,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Personally, I'd rather sit by dogs on a plane than some of my seat-mates on past flights...
Yea, I'd sit next to pretty much any animal than some humans.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:10 AM

6,807 posts, read 4,505,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
Oh come on. This situation isn't really about rights. It is about personal responsibility in public. I happen to have asthma and sensitive to some animal dander, luckily not very severe. I take full responsibility for knowing my triggers and to be ready. The point here was not that a person with severe allergies doesn't have rights, but that they should be prepared for public situations that are not within their control. They should have their medications on hand, inform staff before putting themselves in a possibly dangerous situation. No one can expect airline employees to empty and sterilize a plane just because someone with an allergy might be flying in it. As others already mentioned, what is the airline supposed to do if this passenger ends up in a crisis at 30,000 feet? Safer for them to be re-booked. If you turn it around, the pet owners were following the airline's regulations, had paid for a service, and there was no prior justification to be booted off the plane at the last minute. This woman behaved horribly and should not be rewarded for it.
Too many people ignore these facts and the wisdom and go straight for the emotional knee-jerk.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:11 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,531,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
She is Academic Scholar from Afghanistan but connected with lot of Universities here in the USA.
What kind of problem she can have with animals? Didnt she visit any Zoo? Probably she has a dislike/fear of dogs - not allergy.
As someone allergic to dogs and cats. And has been on safaris maybe 40 times this is the lowest awareness post I have ever seen. I just can't with this silliness. Seriously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Service dogs have a lot of rights. They're protected by law. Her allergy isn't. If her allergy really was life threatening, why wasn't she running off that plane? How has she lived this long? Dogs are all over the place.
As I stated I have dogs and cat allergies. Its no fun when I love them and would probably be the crazy dog lady if I didn't have issues with their hair.(Husband is even worse, he is allergic to the saliva.)
I get shots for them. Just having a dog or cat (past tense) in a room can sent off our allergies. So you morons that sneak pets into a pet free hotel, your selfish narcissistic behavior makes some people sick. I wake up with my face swollen and a run to the hospital. Cat and dog dander NEVER leave a room. Clean all you like, its like smoke, it sticks to walls and you can't wash it out of sheets. MY husband can walk into a house and tell if one has EVER lived there no matter how long ago. You need to replace the floors and dry wall to get it out. And don't some moron challenge this who has never suffered from extreme allergies. Our allergist says he has never seen anyone with as sensitive lungs as my husband.

Most US flights there is at least one cat or dog on. Load up on allergy meds before and during. Have a epi pen at all times. If they aren't near me, I"m OK. Which has been the case so far. Actually was on a flight a couple years ago where I gave my pen to the flight attendant for use on another passenger. They needed it now, I didn't. I'm not going to sit back and let someone die, cause I might need my pen in the future. Have never had to use them. Thank God. We live in a pathetic society when animals come before people. They don't put peanuts on a plane if a kid is allergic to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes, including people who tote around phony-ass emotional support dogs.
BRAVO! Something need to be done about this. They should be registered, tested, have papers to prove this. It is very obvious by the animals behavior they are not service animals.
Years ago I was on a fashion website. These shallow low awareness ladies were talking about how they were going to get dog vests so they didn't have to pay to transport fido. And yet they didn't think twice about paying thousands of dollars on a purse. Disgusting.

Last edited by foundapeanut; 09-30-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 08:53 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Incorrect. They can not by law exclude any Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals. Under ADA rules any Service Animals or Emotional Support Animals can be brought anywhere.

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals
I was talking about transporting dogs in general, clearly.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:02 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlarnla View Post
Honestly, I'm shocked at how little sympathy allergy sufferers get when it comes to dogs.

If you are allergic to peanuts, nobody on the plane gets to eat peanuts. If you are allergic to dogs, you need to get off the plane so that Fluffy can ride. And dog lovers will applaud when you get off, and criticize you if you don't want to subservient to dogs. (I don't even know if the pet and "emotional support animal" (glorified pet) on this plane were dogs or not. I just assume they probably were, because the police won't prioritize a pet snake over a human being.

It's not just airplanes. I'm getting sick and tired of seeing all the people around here who insist that value dogs more than humans. I'm sick of people who put the rights of dogs before the rights of people, because "I like dogs more than people anyways".

I love animals. I have a cute little dog too. But I wouldn't put her before another person!

I would be ashamed if somebody with a pet allergy was forced off of an airplane so my dog could ride it!
A peanut allergy is much different then a dog allergy. I have never heard of someone die from a dog allergy...much less kissing someone who had just kissed a dog. Maybe you are a better googler then I am, but I couldn't find any such case of a person dying from a dog allergy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events