Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 02:26 PM

888 posts, read 555,423 times

Advertisements

I hope not, but every time I think there won't be more, there is more. This one hit me hard. I was at that festival last year. Was supposed to be there this year again, the only reason I didn't go was because I missed the boat and tickets sold out. Some friends still went without me. They are fine.

I have thought about this a lot the last few days. I love Vegas. It's my happy place where I go with my friends. I will not stop going there. However, I don't know if I would go to big outdoor concerts in Vegas, or anywhere else again. But then when I say that, I think maybe I am being silly. But I still can't stop thinking what if he had come up with that plan last year, what if I had managed to get tickets this year, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:33 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Here's where the real danger lies. This is dated, but the stats. have stayed approximately the same throughout the years.

117 Deaths Each Day - The New York Times

Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
Why? Because there will be many copycats.
When such tragedies occur, people are always worried about copycats. People thought there would be more shootings at movie theaters and night clubs, bombs at sporting events, etc... but that never happened. I am not going to live my life in fear of copycats when that's not really something that we have seen happen previously.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:30 PM

926 posts, read 673,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes they will probably keep escalating, at least until the cause is discovered.

It bothers me a great deal that it happens, but it would not cause me to avoid large venues. The liklihood of getting hurt or killed this way is still far far less than getting killed on your way to the concert or your way home. However I try to avoid these big ticket events simply because I cannot stand waiting in lines and sitting in traffic. You can avoid them if you want to, but there are many other things you need to avoid with an equal or greater likelihood of getting hurt.

A few years ago a shooter was hiding in the trunk of a car targeting people going into shopping malls, better stay away from malls.

Several shooters targeted colleges - do not got to college.

A shooter targeted a church and another a nightclub - avoid both.

Some crazy ran a bunch of people over at the Santa Monica pier some years ago - avoid beaches.

Far too many road rage shootings and car accidents - stay out of cars. Bicycles and pedestrians get run over too, so just stay off roads altogether.

Oh a mountain lion dragged a lady in California off her bicycle and killed her, better avoid parks, trails and bicycles altogether.

Dirt-bags with knives and machetes attacked people on a bridge in London - avoid bridges.

Com to think of it you have best just stay in your bedroom . . . . no wait meteors, tornadoes, lightning, fire, hurricanes, mudslides. . . . better move into a cave and never leave. Be sure you filter the air though, a lot of people die form air pollution.

Obsessing over things like this is not healthy. You can commit to never attending a concert to stay safe from possible gunmen and walk out of your house ten seconds later and have a tree branch fall on your head, or a drunk driver run you over.

There is really nothing you can do to stay safe. You are going to die. It s only a matter of when.
You went a bit far with your point, but, I get it. I'm just questioning whether going to large venues is safe anymore. Just because someone questions something or is pondering it, doesn't mean they're 'obsessing' over it. And um, I know I'm going to 'die' someday. We all are. Anyways, thanks for your input.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:07 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Remember how scared all of us were after 9/11. No one wanted to go anywhere. No place felt safe. The bombings and shootings do seem to have become almost normal after the mid to late '90s. I don't remember hearing about terrorism and this much killing before then.

Before 9/11 I never thought twice about being in crowds of people. What about the Boston Marathon Massacre? Innocent people running a road race. Now extreme precautions have to take place--no backpacks, lots of things banned now at that race.

But we seem to gradually forget about it and come out of our shells and start participating in large scale events. This horrific event will fade with time too. Really, it shouldn't. Not until something is done to prevent this horror. But we will forget and move on. I think we should move on but also fight to do something so these things won't keep happening. If anyone has any ideas on how to prevent these atrocities, call your government reps and voice your thoughts because we don't want these things happening again and again.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
When such tragedies occur, people are always worried about copycats. People thought there would be more shootings at movie theaters and night clubs, bombs at sporting events, etc... but that never happened. I am not going to live my life in fear of copycats when that's not really something that we have seen happen previously.
There will be copycats.

Remember Columbine shootings in 1999? Everyone was so shocked back then. Now shooting on school campus is so common that it is not headline news anymore.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:48 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
There will be copycats.

Remember Columbine shootings in 1999? Everyone was so shocked back then. Now shooting on school campus is so common that it is not headline news anymore.
Instead of trying to change the culture in a country where worse and worse examples of this continue to happen, it might actually be less stressful to explore finding another country to live in altogether!

Old 10-06-2017, 08:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 713,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyrallnamestaken View Post
Uh? So you don't take into account the trauma that these people who didn't die experienced?

The difference between you being in Afghanistan, etc. is that people here don't usually walk around expecting to hear gunshot or get shot at. we are not used to living in a war zone.
You run a much greater risk of experiencing psychological trauma from a car accident than you do a mass shooting. Are you going to stop driving becasue of the potential of psychological trauma?

Old 10-06-2017, 08:14 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Remember how scared all of us were after 9/11. No one wanted to go anywhere. No place felt safe. The bombings and shootings do seem to have become almost normal after the mid to late '90s. I don't remember hearing about terrorism and this much killing before then.

Before 9/11 I never thought twice about being in crowds of people. What about the Boston Marathon Massacre? Innocent people running a road race. Now extreme precautions have to take place--no backpacks, lots of things banned now at that race.

But we seem to gradually forget about it and come out of our shells and start participating in large scale events. This horrific event will fade with time too. Really, it shouldn't. Not until something is done to prevent this horror. But we will forget and move on. I think we should move on but also fight to do something so these things won't keep happening. If anyone has any ideas on how to prevent these atrocities, call your government reps and voice your thoughts because we don't want these things happening again and again.
Sometimes there's nothing one can say or do to make a bad situation better. Although there's always something one can say or do to make it worse.

Sometimes, all one can do is not make it worse, full stop.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

9/11 depends on the person.

To me, it was (and still is), really no great change from before. I have seen too much, I know too much from before. To me, 9/11 was more of, "So now you know, now you realize.....join the party.".

So I guess Las Vegas is, "Now you know........welcome to the party.".

Whether it is because this is a first to you or because you thought you were isolated to the events of before, you are here now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events