Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:29 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,150,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Instead of trying to change the culture in a country where worse and worse examples of this continue to happen, it might actually be less stressful to explore finding another country to live in altogether!
There is a way to avert the risk.

Most campus shootings happened in Public High Schools and Public Universities. It rarely happens in Private Schools and Private Universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,945,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
9/11 depends on the person.

To me, it was (and still is), really no great change from before. I have seen too much, I know too much from before. To me, 9/11 was more of, "So now you know, now you realize.....join the party.".

So I guess Las Vegas is, "Now you know........welcome to the party.".

Whether it is because this is a first to you or because you thought you were isolated to the events of before, you are here now.
You're right, it may depend on one's own perspective, perception, & on one's personal experiences. Personally, I think about the postings of folks searching for news of loved ones lost that were tacked up along the subway walls & sometimes with heartbreaking photos. & the cars left, for days & weeks at a time, at the local community Long Island railroad parking lots, from West to East. Folks who went to work that day, as usual, & never did return to ... . & the fires & smoke burning for weeks (months) at the site of the Twin Towers. The forgetting & the remembering.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:54 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,081,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
You're right, it may depend on one's own perspective, perception, & on one's personal experiences. Personally, I think about the postings of folks searching for news of loved ones lost that were tacked up along the subway walls & sometimes with heartbreaking photos. & the cars left, for days & weeks at a time, at the local community Long Island railroad parking lots, from West to East. Folks who went to work that day, as usual, & never did return to ... . & the fires & smoke burning for weeks (months) at the site of the Twin Towers. The forgetting & the remembering.
I can understand but as I said, I know too much from before.

I can understand because in the 80's, after reading so many criminal reports, the question came to me, "How long can I be missing before someone started looking for me?" So then, I started doing regular check ins.

First, it was just calling my parents weekly (well, it was that and reading about Jaclyn Smith) and calling my answering machine every 12 hours when I was traveling, but over time, it has increased to posting on FB when I return from a day trip or even going to dance class.

People may think I am nuts for "sending out a landing signal" on just about any trip I make, but from events over the decades, I have learned.

Admittedly, though, I am more the one to send out a "Request you report your position IMMEDIATELY" than I am to receive one from others.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 27 days ago)

35,759 posts, read 18,101,092 times
I think we've gotten short-sighted historically. 59 deaths is a tragedy, for sure, but think of this historically, and from a world view, and this is just a sad blip on the radar screen. It's not new, and it's not becoming a bigger problem recently.

About 120 thousand Japanese citizens were killed in Hiroshima and Nagasaki (I'm not disagreeing with the idea that it needed to be done, to stop the government of Japan from proceeding with their OWN horrific and historic atrocities). But the citizens of those two cities are no more guilty than the concert goers in Las Vegas. 120 thousand.

Baby Doc Duvalier killed thousands. Hitler killed God only knows how many.

About 1.75 million people were killed in the crusades, roughly around 1,000 AD and 1200 AD.

620,000 American lives were lost in the Civil War.

Dean Corll killed at least 28, probably closer to 40 young boys whom he snatched off the street and sexually tortured to death in Houston in the 1970's. While law enforcement insisted these were all runaways and didn't bother to investigate.

Gary Ridgeway, the "green river killer" in the US, killed a documented 49 people although his actual total is probably more than 90. In other countries, especially South America, serial killers have been convicted of killing 130+ killers over a brutal lifetime.

We have a tendency, as a society, to believe things are getting worse and worse. They aren't. The main concern here, with this case, IMHO, is how easy this was to accomplish considering he could buy machine guns legally. Machine guns make it easier to kill a lot of people, and require less effort, than the other horrible killings in the past.

This is 59 people. We are a product of the internet, with live video and live news stories telling us all we all in peril, worse than ever in history. We aren't. Would have been interesting to see what video would have come out of Nazi German in the 1940's if everyone was armed with a cell phone camera. Or Japan, same time frame. Or Viet Nam, late 60's and early 70's. And the prison of war camps there.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:14 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,296,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I know that I shouldn't let acts of terror paralyze me and prevent me from going to concerts, the movies or to any other crowd-packed venues....but, this latest incident in Las Vegas really has me wondering if I should start going out less and less to larger venues and just stick to going out to really small venues...or if I should just start staying at home, where it's SAFER.

Does this latest terrorist attack make you question going out to events where there are hundreds or thousands of people?

Or, does this not faze you in the least and you'll keep going to any large venues you want to because you're not going to let acts of terror make you afraid of going out in public?

I would reluctant to go to an outdoor venue surrounded by tall buildings,
would think twice.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:27 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,657,699 times
Each to his/her own. Personally, I've avoided very large crowds for many years. I don't like the feeling of having a target on my back for some gun nut or terrorist. It's no big deal, since I prefer the quiet life anyway.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:11 PM

16,912 posts, read 10,624,666 times
As culture, history, and tradition are destroyed, people begin to feel isolated and alone. The lack of cultural unity leaves a hole, and they fill that hole with violence.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:49 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,931,093 times
Quote:
Does this latest terrorist attack make you question going out to events where there are hundreds or thousands of people?
No

Quote:
I just find myself really questioning how truly safe it is for me to go out to places where I could get killed by a stray (or intended) bullet.
Do you question that? Really?

Have you found an answer?
What was that answer?

How many people a year are killed in car crashes?
Are you afraid of driving?
How many people a year choke to death?
Are you afraid of eating?
How many people a year are killed by terrorists?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:19 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,587,441 times
I mean, of course it will. Each mass shooter wants to outdo the last. Now we will have some maniac DETERMINED to kill more than 58 people.

It won't stop me from doing what I want ~ but it is what it is.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:30 PM

50,490 posts, read 47,262,476 times
I think the next one will be a private plane stuffed with explosives of some type. Too unregulated. You can still drive to your hangar anytime you want and take off whenever you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events