Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 04:45 PM

6,473 posts, read 6,679,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
...to which I add "jag-wire" instead of jaguar. Heard everyone from top sportscasters to nature folks say it this crazy way. I think that's more of a midwest thing.
This native midwesterner is guilty as charged. The first time I heard that word pronounced in a radio commercial as "jag-you-are" it took me a minute to figure out what he was saying. Oh! He means jag-wire!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 05:27 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's no second "I" in aluminum either but for some unknown reason the U.K. residents all seem to pronounce it 'a-loo-min-ee-um."

Do I get a prize?
No, because in the U.K. it’s spelt aluminium, don’t ask, I have no idea, we always wondered why you guys SEEMED to be saying it wrong, but as you spell it aluminum, you’re saying it right for where you’re from.
As for sherbet, we’re more likely to say it sherbuht, but sorbet is sorebay every time, or should be.

Old 10-09-2017, 06:56 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,261,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Well, Austin won again today (Monday, Oct. 9), but he was a bit less cocky. Alex said something about him not being able to compete in the highest scorers Championship game if he wins the day before the Championship games. I wasn't sure I heard that correctly. He will play if he loses the final game but not if he wins? I must have missed a clue.

I believe that if he's still winning when it's time for the Tournament of Champions, he won't compete, but will be in the next year's tournament, assuming that he doesn't go undefeated for the entirety of the next season.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:09 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,409,676 times
Quote:
There's no second "I" in aluminum either but for some unknown reason the U.K. residents all seem to pronounce it 'a-loo-min-ee-um."

Do I get a prize?
They spell it aluminium.

Aluminium vs. aluminum - Grammarist

Old 10-09-2017, 08:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Well, Austin won again today (Monday, Oct. 9), but he was a bit less cocky. Alex said something about him not being able to compete in the highest scorers Championship game if he wins the day before the Championship games. I wasn't sure I heard that correctly. He will play if he loses the final game but not if he wins? I must have missed a clue.
Maybe I watched the Unedited version, He was still as dismissive to the HOST ALex as ever. His "whatevers' have got to go! I seriously don't care how intelligent he is...his attitude of arrogance makes me root for anyone else to succeed. I wonder ( being serious) if he has aspergers... That is usually how one behaves when high functioning yet unable to have social decorum...

Old 10-09-2017, 08:38 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:

Do I get a prize?
Because its actually spelt with the "I" in the UK. It's Americans that butcher most spellings.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:41 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,465,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Down south a lot of people add an 'r' to wash, washer, Washington. So it sounds like warsh...
They do that up north too, don't they? I've heard lots of people from PA and WA do it. "I live in Warshington state." "I drove to Warshington DC this weekend." One of my best friend's says "warsh" too but she's a Southern woman from Texas.

Old 10-09-2017, 09:14 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
They do that up north too, don't they? I've heard lots of people from PA and WA do it. "I live in Warshington state." "I drove to Warshington DC this weekend." One of my best friend's says "warsh" too but she's a Southern woman from Texas.
PA here, - Yes we say "Warsh", and "warsher", We don't say War-Shing-ton, DC though. Some here say "Wood- dur" for water. Though I do not. We say "Chim-Lee" for Chimney . THough I do not.

Bostonians say "KAH" for car, and Baaaag for bag...drawing out the "a" sound particularly.

Just a tid bit of ruling- a deaf impaired contestant is susceptible to pronunciation challenges, Wonder how they would let that slide? Based on what I researched None has ever made it to the tapings....

Old 10-09-2017, 09:21 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,485,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerFilms View Post
Because its actually spelt with the "I" in the UK. It's Americans that butcher most spellings.
The spelling isn't butchered here - we simply spell it differently.

Actually, we spell it the way it was spelled by Humphrey Davy, the British chemist who named the substance. Some years later, another British scientist decided is should be spelled with a second 'i'. Apparently, it's a travesty for the American spelling to follow the British spelling of the man who named it. Odd, that.

PS - It is not merely Americans. Our Canadian neighbors to the north spell it similarly. But as with the tiresome and inane soccer/football tooth-gnashing, the etymological affrontery is always taken to be a purely American perversion.

Old 10-09-2017, 11:25 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'll just chime in that my parents (born in the 1920s in Chicago) were very aware that there was an alternative pronunciation, "sher-bert," and very clear that in our family we did not use it! It was sher-bet, always.

Unfortunately if enough people mispronounce a word, the mispronunciation ends up in the dictionary, since dictionaries record what people actually say as well as what they should say. This leads to the unfortunate conclusion that "It's in the dictionary, so it must be correct."
But that doesn't just apply to what people say. It also applies to what they mean. For instance, the word gay and awesome used to have completely different meanings than they do now. So even though the spelling is the same and the pronunciation is the same, the meaning in the dictionary will be different. I don't call this an unfortunate conclusion. It's just the way language is.

And what would you do with flammable and inflammable? They both mean the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
This native midwesterner is guilty as charged. The first time I heard that word pronounced in a radio commercial as "jag-you-are" it took me a minute to figure out what he was saying. Oh! He means jag-wire!
\

My favorite word was GER-rudge. I was watching a British TV show and it took me forever to realize they were saying "garage".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events