Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 09:59 PM

33,041 posts, read 36,652,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Even in Connecticut we say Sher-bert too. Users from places in between should weigh in.
I don't say sherbert. My mother probably would have smacked me and told me to speak properly. Wilkes-Barre, PA. My father was educated in the public schools. Mom grew up in England. Neither of them had more than a high school education. It was enough.

Oh, hot damn. My brother once went to some Eastern shore town for a vacation one year. He stayed at the Quay. Mom went bonkers when he called it the kwey. Her first mention was quiet, but he decided that it should become a war.

He was a teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:26 AM

14,423 posts, read 11,886,173 times
I'll just chime in that my parents (born in the 1920s in Chicago) were very aware that there was an alternative pronunciation, "sher-bert," and very clear that in our family we did not use it! It was sher-bet, always.

Unfortunately if enough people mispronounce a word, the mispronunciation ends up in the dictionary, since dictionaries record what people actually say as well as what they should say. This leads to the unfortunate conclusion that "It's in the dictionary, so it must be correct."

Old 10-09-2017, 12:11 PM

6,526 posts, read 6,739,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'll just chime in that my parents (born in the 1920s in Chicago) were very aware that there was an alternative pronunciation, "sher-bert," and very clear that in our family we did not use it! It was sher-bet, always.

Unfortunately if enough people mispronounce a word, the mispronunciation ends up in the dictionary, since dictionaries record what people actually say as well as what they should say. This leads to the unfortunate conclusion that "It's in the dictionary, so it must be correct."
Not sure why you consider that "unfortunate." Would you prefer that we were still speaking as in the days of Shakespeare? Or even 19th century England? Language does change and evolve. And I'm sure there are words you pronounce that some would consider "wrong" even if you were raised to say shu-bit. I'm married to someone from Chicago, and he certainly has a few doozies.

Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM

6,763 posts, read 4,457,257 times
I remember decades ago I turned on Jeopardy. Some one had the correct answer to the question, but forgot to say, What is in front of the answer. I haven't watched since.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:03 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,498,325 times
Quote:

You do know that every single word in your vocabulary and mine is ultimately a corruption of some previous word form, right? Here's a few examples of words you used above:

'pronounce' comes to us from the Old French prononcier, which in turn comes from Latin's pronuntiare, which surely comes ultimately from some Proto-Indo-European source lost to the ages.

Roughly 800 years ago, 'should' was sceolde in Middle English.

Even 'sherbet' comes from what was transliterated from Turkish as serbet. ('sorbet' has the same root - since the initial consonant of the words differ, one of them must be wrong by your logic)

And why are these forms now correct? Because people started using them that way and compilers of dictionaries recorded those dominant usages. That's how language works. In English, which has no governing body, convention is the standard.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:12 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,050,292 times
Quote:

Indeed. The unfortunate "irregardless" comes to mind. In my mind, there will never be such a word, but I believe it is now in the dictionary.

I think people around me as a child in Kansas sometimes called it Sherbert. Somewhere along the line, I learned it was Sherbet, and have since pronounced it the way it's spelled. I'm picky enough about spelling and pronunciation that if someone corrects me once, I learn. I consider it learning the hard way. By embarrassment. lol.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:37 PM

14,423 posts, read 11,886,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
You do know that every single word in your vocabulary and mine is ultimately a corruption of some previous word form, right? Here's a few examples of words you used above:

'pronounce' comes to us from the Old French prononcier, which in turn comes from Latin's pronuntiare, which surely comes ultimately from some Proto-Indo-European source lost to the ages.

Roughly 800 years ago, 'should' was sceolde in Middle English.

Even 'sherbet' comes from what was transliterated from Turkish as serbet. ('sorbet' has the same root - since the initial consonant of the words differ, one of them must be wrong by your logic)

And why are these forms now correct? Because people started using them that way and compilers of dictionaries recorded those dominant usages. That's how language works. In English, which has no governing body, convention is the standard.
Thanks, but I am aware of that. I actually have two degrees in Linguistics. It's my personal opinion, which may not be popular, that a governing body would be preferable to the current "if enough people say it wrong, it becomes right" system.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:17 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,266,614 times
...to which I add "jag-wire" instead of jaguar. Heard everyone from top sportscasters to nature folks say it this crazy way. I think that's more of a midwest thing.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:22 PM

102,346 posts, read 108,621,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Down south a lot of people add an 'r' to wash, washer, Washington. So it sounds like warsh...
You mean, like "War-sore"? (Does anyone remember the Wausau ad?)

Old 10-09-2017, 03:23 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,050,292 times
Well, Austin won again today (Monday, Oct. 9), but he was a bit less cocky. Alex said something about him not being able to compete in the highest scorers Championship game if he wins the day before the Championship games. I wasn't sure I heard that correctly. He will play if he loses the final game but not if he wins? I must have missed a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events