Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 06:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,085,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Yes, I have indeed seen that frozen dessert labeled as "sherbert" on commercial packaging.
I have too. It confused me because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be different from sherbet, or just spelled wrong.

Nabisco might also think it's pronounced sherbert as they named their sherbet Oreos "Rainbow Shure Bert"

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/images...eosherbet1.JPG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 06:48 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,085,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
It's not just down south. New Yorkers say "sherbert" too. We spell it correctly, pronounce it with the additional "R". I never thought about it before this.
Well it was a New Yorker's mispronunciation that started this whole conversation.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:52 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,255,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There's no R in colonel either, yet it's pronounced with an R.
Flawed analogy.

Old 10-06-2017, 06:55 PM

5,505 posts, read 8,245,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's no second "I" in aluminum either but for some unknown reason the U.K. residents all seem to pronounce it 'a-loo-min-ee-um."

Do I get a prize?
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Totally off topic but anyway ...

Nope, hate to break your bubble but you are wrong !

In the British English spelling of that word you mention it is spelled as
Alumimium,
where there IS a second *I* in the word ...….........
Irman is correct.

In the early 19th century this element was originally named alumium, which he subsequently changed to aluminum, by the great English chemist Sir Humphrey Davy.

It was then changed by others to aluminium because this pronunciation harmonized better with the names of other elements such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, lithium, selenium, etc.

The USA kept Davy's original spelling.

The official scientific spelling is aluminium.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 PM

6,522 posts, read 6,730,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Yes, I have indeed seen that frozen dessert labeled as "sherbert" on commercial packaging.
I stand corrected. I'll have some humble pie with a scoop of sherbert.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:05 PM
NCN

21,667 posts, read 25,697,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Correct pronunciation of "our" does have an a sound, which is the short o.

Pronunciation in Webster dictionary: är , ˈau̇(-ə)r
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/our

The h is already silent in "hour", which is also pronounced as ˈau̇(-ə)r.
But the way the dictionary says it should be makes no sense whatsoever. We in the South say the word correctly. That was the whole point I was trying to make in the first place. There are many words we do a better job at saying the way they SHOULD be said. I know how to use a dictionary; but I don't always agree with it. What makes the wrong way the dictionary says better than the way we say it is the point I was making? In other words, why is the way it is said in D. C. better than using the original letters in the first place? I like our way best.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 3 days ago)

35,899 posts, read 18,209,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
But the way the dictionary says it should be makes no sense whatsoever. We in the South say the word correctly. That was the whole point I was trying to make in the first place. There are many words we do a better job at saying the way they SHOULD be said. I know how to use a dictionary; but I don't always agree with it. What makes the wrong way the dictionary says better than the way we say it is the point I was making? In other words, why is the way it is said in D. C. better than using the original letters in the first place? I like our way best.
Hmmm. A current dictionary is more like a cultural agreement. "This is what we as a culture agree is correct". Similar to an etiquette standard of the day. Used to be Emily Post, I'm not sure who the etiquette standard bearer is now.

You can say well gosh, my family does it this way, or we've always said that this way, but it's not the correct standard. Continue doing that or saying that if you want.

But when you're on Jeopardy, if you don't pronounce the words as they are written in the Miriam Webster dictionary, you won't win any money.

(Or, in this case, if you pronounce sherbert as it's written in the Miram Webster dictionary, it's correct, for the word sherbert. Which doesn't have the last 3 letters that match sorbet).

Old 10-06-2017, 09:21 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,693,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The clue was “The main difference between these two desserts that end in the same three letters is that one contains dairy and the other does not.”

The contestant's (Austin’s) response – spelled here phonetically - “What is sor-bay and shur-burt?” – was ruled as incorrect. The judges claimed that Austin neglected to observe the part of the clue that required the two responses to “end in the same three letters.” They felt that by Austin pronouncing an r in the second syllable of sherbet, that part of the clue was not met.

Everyone I know pronounces it shur-burt. Maybe in some parts of the country people prounounce it differently. It doesn't make it wrong. The way it's pronounced doesn't change the spelling. If I put it on my grocery list, I write "sherbet." The is no product at the grocery store spelled "sherbert" regardless of which way it's pronounced.

The contestant wasn't required to say "sor-BET" even though that's how it's spelled. I think of words like Wednesday, colonel, bologna, corps....spelled completely differently than how they sound.

I think the judges were off the mark on this. The word that I pronounce as "shur-burt" ends in b-e-t, and the word that I pronounce as "sor-bay" ends in b-e-t.

Not a major crisis, I know, but a fun little thing in the news this week. Anyone else think the judges should change their decision?
So everyone you know adds a letter to a word that doesn't exist? It's sherbet so how do you get shur-burt?

Mispronunciations aren't something new on Jeopardy. And they're ruled against as per the rules. I've lived in a few areas of the country and visited many more. I've never heard anyone call it shur-burt. Looks like Jeopardy follows the pronunciation listed in Merriam Webster and there isn't a second r.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:27 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,825,304 times
Originally Midwest here. Spent years retraining my wife (Chicagoan) to remove the R in words like wash and Washington. Lots of people from that part of the country pronounce them (and others) with that R in there.

And I say sherbert. Hmmmmm.....

BTW Jeopardy was correct in both examples posted.

Say roof for me. lol.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,825,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So everyone you know adds a letter to a word that doesn't exist? It's sherbet so how do you get shur-burt?

Mispronunciations aren't something new on Jeopardy. And they're ruled against as per the rules. I've lived in a few areas of the country and visited many more. I've never heard anyone call it shur-burt. Looks like Jeopardy follows the pronunciation listed in Merriam Webster and there isn't a second r.
Um... https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sherbet

Quote:
variants: or less commonly sherbert \ˈshər-bərt\
The key to the ruling is that the answers have end with the same three letters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events