Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 06:15 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,863,559 times

Advertisements

Used to be called a motorman's friend....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 06:42 PM

5,298 posts, read 7,671,026 times
https://wordsmith.org/board/ubbthrea...&Number=177468 I love this site. the quote I posted was in 2008 and I wonder if it is in the same vein as we are discussing ?

[LEFT]"After reading the sherbert article on MSN I was wondering if anyone could explain the pronunciation of salmon....snipped....." [/LEFT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Down south a lot of people add an 'r' to wash, washer, Washington. So it sounds like warsh...
Nobody I know "down South, says warsh.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
How is adding r different than dropping r? Neither affects the spelling of a word. Are we to assume that people who say caw-fee think there is a w in coffee?
They made an assumption that he didn't know what word he was trying to use based on his pronunciation.
I do agree with you, DubbleT, though I suspect we are wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Whatever, the only suggestion that I can offer to you is to not be a contestant on Jeopardy. They are notoriously picky, many people have lost due to bad pronunciations and misspellings. BTW, the judges disagreed with you, that is the heart of the entire dispute. In the opinion of the only people that mattered, sherbet cannot be pronounced differently than it is spelled. Just because some people do doesn't mean that it is correct.
So there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
And dropping letters, or changing letters is acceptable? I'm not being absurd and people aren't adding letters to words, they are pronouncing them differently.....snipped....
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This has been a big topic of debate both on the Facebook page of A Way With Words, the NPR show about language, and the Jeopardy web page.

Jeopardy is sticking to their position, although I disagree with them. Fortunately it didn't change the outcome of the game.

Oh, and did you know that there is an appeal process in the show? When Alex comes back with a correction of a previous ruling sometimes it's because the person who was ruled against appealed and they changed their decision.
So they are not always correct on first ruling. Good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Speak for yourself! This thoroughly Southern girl has never added an R to words like "wash" or whatever. I also say "foil, oil, boil" etc., with no problem at all.
....snipped.....
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've never heard anyone pronounce it IbEprofen. Curious as to what region of the country do you live?
USA. I say it that way and a lot of people I know pronounce it that way and some the other way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I get sick of folks calling pecans 'pee cans'.
hahahahaha. pee cans, pecahns.....what's wrong with either one....? My dh spent the first 5 years of our lives together correcting my pronunciation of salmon....everybody I knew then and now pronounces the "l". It never did change the taste not one bit......lol

I loved this thread, the posters who made it interesting and respectful.....

Old 10-07-2017, 07:52 PM

24,574 posts, read 18,475,400 times
It's a mute point

Old 10-07-2017, 08:06 PM

33,052 posts, read 36,694,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's a mute point

I haven't uddered a word.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCaldwell View Post
I get sick of folks calling pecans 'pee cans'.
That just doesn't sound right.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,242,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I grew up saying "sherbert" and now it's one of those food words I don't want to say at all, like "gyro."

mine is worcestershire. i can never say that one right.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
mine is worcestershire. i can never say that one right.
Wor cester shire. That wasn't happening in my house because my mother grew up in England.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Let's see if I have this right: I was wrong to pronounce it: SURE BERT and now I need to pronounce it SURE BET!
and what about sure? there's no h is sure. but that's how it's pronounced!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wor cester shire. That wasn't happening in my house because my mother grew up in England.
you can tell me the correct way to pronounce it until the second tuesday of next week and i'll still say it wrong.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachie123 View Post
you can tell me the correct way to pronounce it until the second tuesday of next week and i'll still say it wrong.
Until the second Tuesday of next week? That's seriously funny.

Woos ta sheer. Now you know. Welcome to the club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events