Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2017, 07:25 AM

14,280 posts, read 14,819,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
There's no second "I" in aluminum either but for some unknown reason the U.K. residents all seem to pronounce it 'a-loo-min-ee-um."

Do I get a prize?
I believe they pronounce it al-you-min-ee-um
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 07:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,537,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Totally off topic but anyway ...

Nope, hate to break your bubble but you are wrong !

In the British English spelling of that word you mention it is spelled as
Alumimium,
where there IS a second *I* in the word ...

For your info, please check out this list
UK vs US spelling list
You are correct; totally off topic.

You are correct, British spelling shows an additional "I" after 1812. Had no idea. http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm

You are correct: here's your prize....

Old 10-07-2017, 07:53 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,891,360 times
In my two years of living in Britain, I noticed that they Anglicized several words where the US being more of a melting pot would incorporate some aspect of the original language's pronunciation when adopting foreign words into the lexicon. This ET ending is one of them. In Britain a "fillet" is pronounced phonetically, the final T is pronounced. The same in the word "valet." So I am wondering if in Britain the words sorbet and sherbet would be pronounced differently as well. But I can't say that I remember hearing those words spoken.

Perhaps in the foodie world the Brits have their own word for these desserts. Like aubergine for an eggplant and courgette for zucchini. And then there were definite pronunciation differences. Was making spaghetti at a friend's house and asked her if she had any oregano. She looked at me and said, "what?" "You, know the spice, oregano..." Finally the light came on and she said "oh, you mean or-eh-GAH-no!" So maybe sorbet and sherbet get their own British words and/or pronunciation.

I bring this up since there is some debate here on the British being the rule makers for pronunciation since it is after all their language.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 29 days ago)

35,774 posts, read 18,115,470 times
As Churchill said, "The Americans and British are one people separated by a common language".

Old 10-07-2017, 08:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,105,079 times
The fact that they knew that the pronunciation could cause a problem and they were ready to disallow the answer in spite of potential controversy, and kept the clue in the game is the biggest mistake Jeopardy made.

Does anybody want to watch the reruns of the woman that ended everything she said with a weird sound that made it seem she was asking a question, to see if there were any instances where the judges gave her a pass? I know I don't.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:04 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,786,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
The fact that they knew that the pronunciation could cause a problem and they were ready to disallow the answer in spite of potential controversy, and kept the clue in the game is the biggest mistake Jeopardy made.

Does anybody want to watch the reruns of the woman that ended everything she said with a weird sound that made it seem she was asking a question, to see if there were any instances where the judges gave her a pass? I know I don't.

Not a mistake. The answer was very clear in what was expected in the question. The last three letters being the same. Where I come from sorbet and sherbert do not end with the same letters. And yes, sherbert is a valid spelling and pronunciation. See my post a few up from here. #80

I remember that woman! Drove us nuts!!! I kept wondering if it was a regional dialect or she had some kind of problem that caused it. Still don't know.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:07 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,886,158 times
The judges were flat wrong. This is merely a variation in dialect.

I grew up hearing "sher-bert" and never saw the sans-r spelling until I was probably in my 20s. But everyone knew exactly what we were talking about.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:22 AM

It doesn't matter if everyone knew what you were talking about. The answer specifically states that the question contain two words with the last three letters being the same.

Sorbet and sherbert don't.

Why is this so difficult for people to understand? It's cut and dried.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:25 AM

5,470 posts, read 6,106,947 times
Jeopardy made a mistake, or at least a debatable decision. In fairness to all, give the contestant a like valued gift and be done with it.

The gift will be like Christmas for that contestant. Santa will come down the Chimley early.... or is it Chimney!!!!

Old 10-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Jeopardy doesn't give gifts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events