Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 08:36 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,388,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
If he had a green card, or naturalized, then maybe he should not be considered a foreigner. Justice should be blind to national origin, race or creed. I thought I read somewhere he was American born anyhow???

Nope, they're both from Kerala.

It doesn't matter if someone is naturalized; they'll pull the foreigner card every time to try to keep from getting the death penalty or being executed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Why would another country want to intervene to prevent Mathews from getting the death penalty, anyway? He's not some innocent person being railroaded.
See above. It's just another item to be checked off any defense attorney's "to do" list when dealing with a foreign-born client.

Other countries have protested vigorously when Texas has executed their nationals. Most foreigners executed in Texas (and there aren't many) are from Mexico or Central American countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
Oh well. If he doesn't get the death penalty, hopefully he will get life in prison.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,538,848 times
He's charged with Capital Murder, that's big. What is driving me nuts is that we still don't know how this precious child was killed. I'm also seeing that the local adoption agency has been recently banned from working in India.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Oh well. If he doesn't get the death penalty, hopefully he will get life in prison.
We'll have to wait and see. I live in the county where the trial will most likely be held. Maybe I'll get lucky and pull jury duty for it.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:47 PM

8,354 posts, read 3,561,448 times
Quote:
Yes, they said the child died from homicidal violence. So apparently it wasn't a choking death as Mathews had claimed.
Yes, I saw that update, but it's so vague. I was wondering if they were ever more specific. It must've been pretty horrific for them to charge him with capital murder.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Yes, I saw that update, but it's so vague. I was wondering if they were ever more specific. It must've been pretty horrific for them to charge him with capital murder.
I think the capital murder charge is because of the age of the person who was murdered. It's capital murder if the victim is a child or a police officer, or if the murder was committed during the commission of another crime like robbery, kidnapping, etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 8,771 times
Quote:
I think the capital murder charge is because of the age of the person who was murdered. It's capital murder if the victim is a child or a police officer, or if the murder was committed during the commission of another crime like robbery, kidnapping, etc.
I wonder if these "parents" were trying to groom this poor unfortunate child into a life of personal servitude. That would be worst than sad, but not beyond human depravity.

Old 01-16-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
I don't think the grand jury was privy to the details but the Dallas DA has specifically stated that she does not want to compromise the case by sharing the details of the autopsy. I'm sure it'll come out at trial.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capita...Capital_crimes

Murdering a child under 10 years of age qualifies, so you are correct about why the charge is capital murder.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MySweetLord View Post
I wonder if these "parents" were trying to groom this poor unfortunate child into a life of personal servitude. That would be worst than sad, but not beyond human depravity.
That is a distinct possibility.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:27 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,946,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Nope, they're both from Kerala.

It doesn't matter if someone is naturalized; they'll pull the foreigner card every time to try to keep from getting the death penalty or being executed.

See above. It's just another item to be checked off any defense attorney's "to do" list when dealing with a foreign-born client.

Other countries have protested vigorously when Texas has executed their nationals. Most foreigners executed in Texas (and there aren't many) are from Mexico or Central American countries.

Who CARES where he was born? As I commented on the Turpins case (abuse of 13 kids), did anyone care where they were born? Nope, nobody mentioned it. The most popular theory there is mental illness. Are you trying to tell me that in the Mathews case, their place of origin is suddenly more important? Racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events