Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2018, 07:31 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,081,169 times

Advertisements

My niece and her family are in the process of adopting a little girl from India. As a result of this case, the Indian gov. is requiring psychological evaluations of the family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 07:47 AM

35,840 posts, read 18,173,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
My niece and her family are in the process of adopting a little girl from India. As a result of this case, the Indian gov. is requiring psychological evaluations of the family.
This is kind of a bizarre turn of events. In Mumbai, children run feral with adults actively preying on them. It hardly seems like they should take the case of one single adoptive family's behavior to decide to make it difficult to rescue deserving children.

I don't think there is another civilized country - up and coming as India is, for the upper castes - who treat the orphaned children with such callous disregard.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:14 AM

I wonder if it's related to the adoptable children having health issues? I THOUGHT (but I wouldn't swear) that my niece said that the adoptable Indian children have health issues.

In other words, if you want to adopt a child from India, that child will have some kind of health concern. In my niece's baby's case (they already know who the baby is), the baby has the gene for Sickle Cell anemia, although she doesn't have sickle cell anemia itself, and may never develop it.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,388,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
India has suspended the American adoption agency that placed Sherin with the Mathews family.

Sherin Mathews death: India suspends U.S. adoption agency - The Hindu

I thought that agency was already defunct.

Quote:
I wonder if it's related to the adoptable children having health issues? I THOUGHT (but I wouldn't swear) that my niece said that the adoptable Indian children have health issues.

In other words, if you want to adopt a child from India, that child will have some kind of health concern. In my niece's baby's case (they already know who the baby is), the baby has the gene for Sickle Cell anemia, although she doesn't have sickle cell anemia itself, and may never develop it.
Sickle cell trait is not the same as sickle cell anemia. You need 2 copies of the gene to develop sickle cell anemia AFAIK.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I thought that agency was already defunct.

Sickle cell trait is not the same as sickle cell anemia. You need 2 copies of the gene to develop sickle cell anemia AFAIK.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was afraid I'd probably mess up the details. At any rate, the way I understood it, she COULD develop sickle cell anemia...but she might not.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,388,150 times
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up. I was afraid I'd probably mess up the details. At any rate, the way I understood it, she COULD develop sickle cell anemia...but she might not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sickle_cell_trait

Old 01-08-2018, 11:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is kind of a bizarre turn of events. In Mumbai, children run feral with adults actively preying on them. It hardly seems like they should take the case of one single adoptive family's behavior to decide to make it difficult to rescue deserving children.

I don't think there is another civilized country - up and coming as India is, for the upper castes - who treat the orphaned children with such callous disregard.
I have so much I want to say about how some countries treat their orphans but then turn around to make it difficult to impossible to adopt these unwanted children. But I think it might end up going off topic and starting a *thing*.

So I will just say I agree with where you are coming from.

Old 01-08-2018, 11:59 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
Quote:
I don't have a problem with requiring psychological evaluations of families who adopt. I wonder why this wasn't a requirement before? The children have to be the priority and should not be put in an unsafe situation.

Old 01-08-2018, 12:08 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,926,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't have a problem with requiring psychological evaluations of families who adopt. I wonder why this wasn't a requirement before? The children have to be the priority and should not be put in an unsafe situation.
In our adoptions we had to fill out extensive forms for the social worker as part of the home study process, as well as being interviewed. I think it would be the same for all home study processes (we didn't have any "special" homestudy, its just what they did). I think adding another layer is mostly just adding paper work, cost and more time the child has to live in limbo. I guess I would be curious what, if any, extra protections it would really add. It seems like a knee jerk reaction without any evidence that it would keep children safer. But if it did keep kids safer, I am all for it.

Old 01-08-2018, 01:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,435,871 times
Although murder is probably rare, there are likely many adopted children who wind up in abusive homes but it's hard to know the real numbers. A lot of abuse is never reported.

I'm guessing the Mathews couple did not have a psychological evaluation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events