Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:08 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,050,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17thAndK View Post
Is that actually tough to decipher? Work, school, and other schedules are not affected by DST. People who get up at 5:30 on standard time to handle their day will have all the same reasons to get up at 5:30 on DST. But the sun is in a different position, which is the whole point.

People in this country can choose what time to get up and go to bed. There aren't right and wrong answers here.
RE Bedtime: But their choices are the reason they prefer it to be light out later rather than eariler. I don't like having the results of that - more DST - imposed on me. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier! There's nothing that important on TV that late anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:31 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 10 days ago)

8,825 posts, read 21,312,996 times
I guess this is a dumb question , but which is the REAL time ? This one, right ?

I recall a year when we did not change the clocks in October . I think it was around 1973 . Something to do with saving oil maybe .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-06-2017, 08:57 AM

6,354 posts, read 4,949,998 times
We have so much sunshine in AZ we don't have to save any.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:16 AM

2,515 posts, read 1,703,408 times
Wish they'd just do away with the whole fall back, spring forward BS

Old 11-06-2017, 11:37 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,064,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
RE Bedtime: But their choices are the reason they prefer it to be light out later rather than eariler. I don't like having the results of that - more DST - imposed on me. Go to bed earlier and get up earlier! There's nothing that important on TV that late anyway.
I go to bed around midnight most nights. It has nothing to do with TV. I don't normally watch TV, and if I do its Netflix/Hulu so I'm not bound to a certain time. Some people just like to stay up later than you. I'm up at 6am during the week, and 8am on weekends.

I like it to stay light later in the summer, as it means I can enjoy things outside with my SO after he gets home from work. It does matter if it's light or dark, cause sometimes we might go to a park, which closes at sundown.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:55 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,705,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I guess this is a dumb question , but which is the REAL time ? This one, right ?

Yes, now we're in the "real" time. The East Coast of the U.S. is UTC-5, so when it's 12:00 noon in Greenwich, England (through which the Prime Meridian passes), it should be 7:00 a.m. on the East Coast. And that's the situation that we're in now, during Standard Time.

Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM

11,094 posts, read 6,693,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I can't stand DST, glad we don't have it here in Hawaii.

I've even read that it messes up circadian rhythms (or whatever) and people have more accidents and reduced productivity.

None here, either. 6:30 a.m. light, all year 'round. 6:30 p.m., dark. Every day. Kinda weird, but OK.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:48 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,954,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Have you never worked weird hours? Or even slightly off standard hours? I worked an office job where I didn't get off until 630. With traffic I sometimes didn't get home til after 730. If I lived in Birmingham, that'd give me maybe half an hour til sunset in June but in Atlanta I got almost an hour more than that. Now I work 7-7. Days and nights. Obviously this time of year for day shift I'm not getting any daylight but it's nice in summer to at least get some daytime after work.

And even my early rising parents like the later sunsets. In summer my mom goes to bed around 930 when it's just getting dark and wakes up at 430 for work. Still hates when it starts getting dark earlier but doesn't care as much about when sunrise is.

Old 11-06-2017, 05:01 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,309,763 times
I have so much more energy when it's light later. June 21st, the longest day of the year, is my favorite day!

Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,050,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Yes, now we're in the "real" time. The East Coast of the U.S. is UTC-5, so when it's 12:00 noon in Greenwich, England (through which the Prime Meridian passes), it should be 7:00 a.m. on the East Coast. And that's the situation that we're in now, during Standard Time.

Real time is also defined as when it is noon at 12pm in a given timezone's prime meridian. This differs for locations throughout the 15degrees covered by each zone. Local noon in Boston occurs about 16min. before it does on the EST meridian, or in Philly which is nearest meridian. Boston local noon averages 11:44am EST. Buffalo and the Falls are the opposite, with noon occuring closer to 12:15pm EST.

Sunmer/DS/suitcase time is when it is noon at 1pm at a given prime meridian. (I hate having lunch at 11am by the sun - 12:00p DST!) The impact of Daylight Saving is noticed more the further west one goes within an affected time zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events