Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,928,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Someone posted earlier that it's illegal to be drunk on a plane...? If that's true, they were remiss in not removing him, while the plane was on the ground.
Thing is, he may not have acted drunk while he was boarding the plane. Some people are really good at holding their liquor. He may not have started to harass her until the plane was already in the air and by that time, what do you do? Unless he's a clear danger to anyone, the pilot is not going to turn the plane around and land again just for that.

Personally, I would have used my outside voice (so everyone around could hear me) and told the guy to "QUIT TRYING TO PROPOSITION ME, YOU PIMP! AND KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF ME!"

After many pleas and threats that were ignored, I did that in front of all the customers to a coworker who couldn't keep his hands off me.

Embarrassment works wonders sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 10:21 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,064,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Thing is, he may not have acted drunk while he was boarding the plane. Some people are really good at holding their liquor. He may not have started to harass her until the plane was already in the air and by that time, what do you do? Unless he's a clear danger to anyone, the pilot is not going to turn the plane around and land again just for that.
Mrs. Zuckerberg stated that the harassing started as passengers were still boarding the plane, so no the plane was not in the air at that time.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:42 PM

102,261 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

Personally, I would have used my outside voice (so everyone around could hear me) and told the guy to "QUIT TRYING TO PROPOSITION ME, YOU PIMP! AND KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF ME!"

After many pleas and threats that were ignored, I did that in front of all the customers to a coworker who couldn't keep his hands off me.

Embarrassment works wonders sometimes.
The plane was on the ground when the harassment started. And since first class gets boarded first, they start the alcohol service while coach is boarding, apparently. So, whether or not he boarded after already having a drink while waiting, we don't know. But they were serving him alcohol, even though at least one of the stewardesses knew he had a history of being somewhat unruly.

The airlines shouldn't be aiding and abetting drunken behavior, especially if being drunk on a plane is illegal, but even if it isn't, they should be doing that.

Old 12-04-2017, 10:53 PM

15,490 posts, read 9,171,507 times
Quote:
The plane was on the ground when the harassment started. And since first class gets boarded first, they start the alcohol service while coach is boarding, apparently. So, whether or not he boarded after already having a drink while waiting, we don't know. But they were serving him alcohol, even though at least one of the stewardesses knew he had a history of being somewhat unruly.

The airlines shouldn't be aiding and abetting drunken behavior, especially if being drunk on a plane is illegal, but even if it isn't, they should be doing that.
The FAA should ban all alcohol service on all aircraft, as a public safety issue, and require crews to deny boarding to any person who appears intoxicated. How many flights have to get diverted to remove disruptive passengers, before we put a stop to this nonsense?

Old 12-04-2017, 10:59 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
How about off the plane because it started when they were still on the ground.
Sounds simple, doesn't it? We only know one side of the story. If he was not drunk when he boarded then there is not a reason to deny him boarding.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:02 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,410,365 times
Quote:
This. This is what we're discussing, Gigi603, because the passenger became somewhat unruly before the plane had taken off. Flight crew had already plied him with alcohol, after he took his seat. And now we find out that they did that, knowing he had a history of drunkenness and inappropriate behavior!
We only know one side of the story.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,787 posts, read 58,271,470 times
First Class is likely to bring this behavior. I came to expect it.

Now I fly SWA. No class, no fees !.

But occasional jerks, as can be expected.

Bad situation. No winners, ALaska Air can survive this and they Will improve.(as they always do). They are very serious about their excellent company. I would not want either of those problematic clients. (Filthy rich = some baggage / risk)

Old 12-05-2017, 12:00 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,633,184 times
I'm surprised others on this thread haven't written about something similar happening to them - it surely wasn't an isolated incident and something similar has probably happened to lots of women.

It happened to me when I was in my early 20s flying back to college from home. It would have been back in the 1970s. I was trapped in the window seat beside TWO guys in the adjoining two seats who spent the entire trip drinking and discussing various sex acts and partners and trying to get me to participate in the conversation and to get me to go to their hotel with them when we landed. I was just a young kid and didn't know what to do or say. Finally I started pretending that I was airsick and just sat in my seat bent over with my head in my hands and my eyes closed. That didn't faze them at all - they kept on being pigs until we landed. The fact that I remember it so clearly from so long ago kind of proves how much it scared and sickened me at the time.

Now that I'm an old lady if any men did that today I'd just tell them to be quiet and remind them to think of their mothers and sisters, and I'd probably report them to the airplane staff. I think most women would do this now. But I'll strongly bet that even in 2017 there are still some young girls who encounter the same experience and who are too shy and scared to know what to say or do. I'd hope that nowadays other passengers and the airplane staff would do something about it (assuming they were aware of the behavior) though.

Old 12-05-2017, 01:01 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,503,224 times
Bose QC 13.....solves that problem.

Old 12-05-2017, 07:01 AM

16,587 posts, read 10,708,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise of virtue View Post
Cant say I feel any sympathy for the rich. She should ask her brother for a private jet. That'll take care of the problem.

What's it like to have so little empathy? Or is your jealousy over someone else's wealth covering it up?

And as to your "solution," yes it would have spared Ms. Zuckerberg some trouble. But it wouldn't have helped the other women who this creep has apparently harassed. What would you do to take care of their problem? Or do you not care about them either?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events