Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 06:44 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,886,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I wouldn't say its America's favorite, just the modt popular national chain that isnt going through any publicity problems right now. .

Most Americans are going to have a local restaurant as their favorite. But when doing a national poll, a place like Chavez in Soulard, MO is not going to get many votes.

Taco Bell is going to be everywhere. There are not any Dell Tacos or Baja Fresh in my metro area. There is also only one Moes. So with this poll, that leaves the majority to vote for Qudoba, Chipotle, or Taco Bell. And again, Taco Bell is going to be the one with the most locstions, and they're not getting any bad publicity at the moment.
Remember when the Del Taco used to be in the "spaceship" building off 40, that's now a Starbucks? I actually really liked Del Taco and definitely miss it in the STL!

I'll be sure to check out Chavez if we get a chance, too

Per the OPs post- I think convenience likely has a lot to do with Taco Bell's national popularity. I can't think of any other Mexican restaurants in my area that are as quick and have drive thrus (no street food in my suburb). The affordability of Taco Bell is probably also a factor.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:11 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,173,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I can see the self anointed food and cultural experts gritting their teeth, but I love Taco Bell and eat there more than at any other Mexican themed restaurant, 'real' or not.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/t...153058944.html
Taco Bell is a classic American Taco Chain. The hard or soft taco is still very popular, Nachos grande is my favorite, and I just started ordering of the dollar menu.

Chipotle, whatever else, is not worth it. Chipotle = gentrification! Tacos by the pound doesn't work for me.

I used to like Chevy's , but I think they went under. Their sampler plate was a favorite. Chevys claimed Tex Mex.

I am fortunate to live in NYC with a large Mexican population. If I want a real taco on the go, I go to a food truck/cart. If I want a Mexican meal, I go to a locals spot. No one can do an enchilada or tamale plate like in the restaurants. None of these Chains will get that good carne asada like in the Real taco places.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,749,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Taco Bell is not Mexican food. If you think it is, then you have never eaten real Mexican food. Taco Bell is as American, as McDonald's is.
Taco Bell is TexMex, though that's a little insulting to Texans and Mexicans. The best taco joint I ever ate at was Taco John's, and they, sadly, left Oregon years ago. I think there are still some in California. You can find great Mexican food just about anywhere on the West Coast.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:41 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,811 posts, read 58,359,620 times
Plenty of Taco John's in Colorado and WY, last I was looking for one. (Where I first encountered them in 1960's / Cheyenne based in little red huts)

But.. when you are on a $0.99/ day budget, Taco Bell just may be most apt to keep you fed, (Especially if your franchise still offers a free senior drink with that $0.99 value menu item. ) some do, some don't.

watch that lettuce (wherever you eat)

Taco Bell and Taco Johns and Chipotle and many others have fallen victim to dirty fields / poor processing at growers.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:59 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,345,519 times
Ugh, Taco Bell. Their two main ingredients are processed cheese sauce and sour cream.

I moved to Kansas from Phoenix and all 'Mexican' food here is essentially some version of Taco Bell. Flour tortillas, ground beef, lots of cheddar cheese, tomato sauce, sour cream, velveeta sauce. They even have an abomination they call a taco burger. It is like the loose meat sandwich from the Roseanne tv show with lettuce, cheddar cheese and tomato sauce on a Wonder style hamburger bun. Basically a Midwestern white person's version of a torta.

I have just given up at this point. If I ever want to eat Mexican food again, I will have to move or take a trip out of town.

This thread made me think of this old movie, all restaurants are now Taco Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk

Last edited by shorman; 05-10-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 08:29 AM

250 posts, read 183,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's not a matter of self-appointment - it's just having a clue.

As an aside, I was in Los Angeles recently. I did a lot of eating, as it's a great town for authentic Mexican as well as a vast array of other cuisines (had some great Korean and Cuban, too). But it amazed me that there were Taco Bells there. Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito? Probably the same sort of person who travels to Europe and eats at a McDonald's in Rome and goes shopping at The Gap in Paris.
Did you try Titos Tacos in Culver City?

Old 05-10-2018, 08:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,581,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Ugh, Taco Bell. Their two main ingredients are processed cheese sauce and sour cream.

I moved to Kansas from Phoenix and all 'Mexican' food here is essentially some version of Taco Bell. Flour tortillas, ground beef, lots of cheddar cheese, tomato sauce, sour cream, velveeta sauce. They even have an abomination they call a taco burger. It is like the loose meat sandwich from the Roseanne tv show with lettuce, cheddar cheese and tomato sauce on a Wonder style hamburger bun. Basically a Midwestern white person's version of a torta.

I have just given up at this point. If I ever want to eat Mexican food again, I will have to move or take a trip out of town.

This thread made me think of this old movie, all restaurants are now Taco Bell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk
kind of how chinese food isnt all rice or noodles on the side? kansas mexican = tacos because thats what people buy

blame it on mexican resorts, they sell tacos to them on vacation so thats what they learn as mexican

and whats wrong with taco bell? the new burrito is good, it is cheese and sour cream though

Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,150,242 times
Taco Bell food is awful. Years of Southwest livng taught me about good Mexican food and Taco Bell dosen’t come close. Their food tastes cheap and is sloppy, which is not good if you’re driving. For a cheap Mexican meal, I’d eat at a food truck.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,581,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
Taco Bell food is awful. Years of Southwest livng taught me about good Mexican food and Taco Bell dosen’t come close. Their food tastes cheap and is sloppy, which is not good if you’re driving. For a cheap Mexican meal, I’d eat at a food truck.
it is cheap and sloppy, what did you expect it to taste like? you arent going to taco bell and getting a $60 steak and cocktail

Old 05-10-2018, 09:33 AM

7 posts, read 6,899 times
They've worked hard on their branding, kept prices very low and appeal to the masses. It's not the best quality, but it a bean and rice burrito for a dollar will fill you up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events