Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2018, 02:44 PM

17,465 posts, read 15,602,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Taco Bell is cheap. Its usually quite fast. Its never made me or anyone I know sick. Its also very tasty. I eat it and also enjoy "authentic" (whatever that is) Mexican food. Anyone claiming its worse for you than other Mexican food is ignorant.
Huh??? How? Have you seen what goes into a Taco Bell taco? No it's not just ground beef and a corn tortilla. A Mexican taco, for instance, is simple, and provides plenty of nutritional value: It's typically a corn (or flour) tortilla, which is basically corn flour and water, with grilled or pan-fried meat seasoned with salt and chili peppers, and topped with onions and cilantro, sometimes tomatoes or other vegetable toppings.

That's not a knock on Taco Bell in particular, as most fast food joints use all sorts of fillers in their foods as well, but to say it's "no worse" than other Mexican food is ignorant. Not the other way around.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:57 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,766,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I would say that the majority of Americans would have to pass three to five Taco Bells to reach even a sub-standard local Mexican restaurant, itself of dubious authenticity.

So no wonder.
Really? I live in a small town and we have two great privately owned Mexican restaurants here, and we don’t even have a sizable Hispanic community. I never have cared for Taco Bell much, Mexican food tends to be messy and I’d rather sit down and have it served on a plate.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:09 PM

10,804 posts, read 5,741,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Taco Bell is kind of a hamburger on a flour tortilla vs actual mexican food. It would actually be good with ketchup and mustard. It's ok but it's hamburger vs carne. Even their steak is bland but at least it's steak. One can't really compare the two. The steak taco would be good with steak sauce on it.
Just an FYI, but hamburger IS carne. It's carne molida.

Old 05-10-2018, 06:37 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,279,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's not a matter of self-appointment - it's just having a clue.

As an aside, I was in Los Angeles recently. I did a lot of eating, as it's a great town for authentic Mexican as well as a vast array of other cuisines (had some great Korean and Cuban, too). But it amazed me that there were Taco Bells there. Who on earth would pass up all the great Mexican street food for some moronic 'taco' made out of a giant Dorito? Probably the same sort of person who travels to Europe and eats at a McDonald's in Rome and goes shopping at The Gap in Paris.
About as silly as a Red Lobster here in SW Florida,where fresh seafood is served in a zillion places!

Old 05-10-2018, 07:01 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Huh??? How? Have you seen what goes into a Taco Bell taco? No it's not just ground beef and a corn tortilla. A Mexican taco, for instance, is simple, and provides plenty of nutritional value: It's typically a corn (or flour) tortilla, which is basically corn flour and water, with grilled or pan-fried meat seasoned with salt and chili peppers, and topped with onions and cilantro, sometimes tomatoes or other vegetable toppings.

That's not a knock on Taco Bell in particular, as most fast food joints use all sorts of fillers in their foods as well, but to say it's "no worse" than other Mexican food is ignorant. Not the other way around.
No kidding. I can't believe I read that.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:02 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
No.

Any fast food, mass produced, meat-like product, pink spooge food is less healthy for you than a home cooked mexican dinner (or mom and pop restaurant).

Some of the things in their "meat":

MALTODEXTRIN. "It sounds weird, but it's actually a form of mildly sweet sugar we use to balance the flavor. ...
TORULA YEAST. ...
MODIFIED CORN STARCH. ...
SOY LECITHIN. ...
SODIUM PHOSPHATES. ...
LACTIC ACID. ...
CARAMEL COLOR AND COCOA POWDER. ...
TREHALOSE.
Tip for everyone: don't eat anywhere your meat has to have "color added" to it.

"Pink spooge"...

Old 05-10-2018, 07:24 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,739,913 times
I like to support a wide range of cuisines. In the last month I have eaten Chinese, Korean, Thai, Greek and Mexican food. I don't normally eat out that much, but I was on the road. I did try an In 'n Out burger, which despite the hype, was pretty average. Generally, fast food is just one step above dog food. It's much better to eat at a real restaurant. There is a local mom and pop place that still serves meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, with a steamed vegetable. Prime rib on Friday nights from 7-9 or until it's gone.

Old 05-10-2018, 07:45 PM

8,885 posts, read 4,616,458 times
It's a part of American mythology that all of these mom and pop restaurants have such great food that is somehow more wholesome and more "authentic". A few do, most don't. That wonderful meatloaf you bought quite likely was delivered to them frozen on a SYSCO truck.

Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,146,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it is cheap and sloppy, what did you expect it to taste like? you arent going to taco bell and getting a $60 steak and cocktail
I expect it to taste halfway decent, especially if I’m going to spend six or seven dollars for a fast food meal. McDonald’s and Jack have a couple decent items on their menu, can’t think of anything that really appeals at Taco Bell. It reminds me of something that college kids would like.

I remember Filiberto’s in Phoenix, the prices weren’t too different from Taco Bell, but the food was much more restaurant quality, including homemade flour tortillas. It was just a little local drive through, but pretty good.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:07 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,739,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
It's a part of American mythology that all of these mom and pop restaurants have such great food that is somehow more wholesome and more "authentic". A few do, most don't. That wonderful meatloaf you bought quite likely was delivered to them frozen on a SYSCO truck.
I doubt very much that the meatloaf was SYSCO, but I wouldn't swear to the mashed potatoes and gravy. Certainly the prime rib is done in house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events