Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 01:16 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
.... yes, think about posting a sign.
Right. Private businesses may specify what legal tender items they accept. If a store or restaurant doesn’t want to take $50 or larger bills, or they don’t want to take quarters, cents at all, they can. But, they should specify their payment policies before conducting business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
The original bill was $45, so with tip included he paid $35 in quarters. Would you want to carry around 130 quarters in your pocket while working? Having them hit against your leg, weighing down your apron, making a constant jingle noise all day.... Not to mention having to take time away from your other costumers to sit and count all that change. ....
Really? The server can take the quarters out to their car and come back in and finish their shift.

BTW, I can count $20 or $30 in loose quarters in less than a minute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
$10 is a 22% tip. Not a horrible tip, but a pretty average tip ...
I worked in a restaurant a lot when going to school and a 22% tip BTW is way the F more than most people ( who never worked in one ) leave.

Last edited by IDtheftV; 07-20-2018 at 01:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 02:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
but they'd get over it once they saw the tip that person left.
Leaving a tip is something that most people do in a restaurant. Its not an excuse to treat your server like cr*p.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:44 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Are you really that clueless??? Maids have carts! AS a matter of fact one of the maids thanked us as she put the change in a plastic cup and took it home to her kids who loved it as they had gotten one of those "banks" that separate the change.

I really am at a loss for words on where some of you are coming from.
Regardless, it's still incredibly bad edicate to tip people in change, and is likely to lead to you getting bad service and the employees talking crap about you on Facebook.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:49 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
It's never a good idea to shame a customer.
It's never a good idea to PO your server. Bad things can happen to your food the next time you eat there.

Old 07-20-2018, 02:53 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,948,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Money is money & a $10 tip is good, whether it is in coins or bills. I think the restaurateur was wrong to make an issue out of this & I hope patrons do show up with stacks of coins to pay.
It's a PITA to count change if the place happened to be busy. The LEAST he could have done was take the quarters to a bank first and get them exchanged for bills, or else present them in rolls.

Old 07-20-2018, 03:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The bill was paid in full.

In this case, the restaurant would have no legal right to refuse one form of payment and turn around and demand another.

Putting up a sign... if it's an issue the restaurant has on a regular basis, maybe, but I highly doubt that's the case. Personally, I think the bad publicity from putting up such a sign would outweigh any benefits.
I hope all you, "Put up a sign" people realize that Legal Tender means that if someone wants to pay in change that is legal tender, and they refuse that payment then the meal or whatever would be free, because the person offered Legal payment and they refused it. There is no provision for a company to not accept a legal tender form of payment.

If they took the person to court after for payment after they refused the legal payment they would be laughed out of court, as they say.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I hope all you, "Put up a sign" people realize that Legal Tender means that if someone wants to pay in change that is legal tender, and they refuse that payment then the meal or whatever would be free, because the person offered Legal payment and they refused it. There is no provision for a company to not accept a legal tender form of payment.

If they took the person to court after for payment after they refused the legal payment they would be laughed out of court, as they say.
I'm not a "put up a sign" person. I made that clear in the post you quoted, so I'm not sure why you even quoted it.

You're mostly wrong about the rest as well. Restaurants and other business can and do go cashless. The main difference with a restaurant is that when you order food and beverages to be paid for after consumption, you're entering into an implied contract with the restaurant, so yes, they need to provide either signage or verbal information if they don't accept the legal default method of payment.

Old 07-20-2018, 04:57 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,697,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
And she might have 10 other tables to fetch things for, before she'd get a chance to go to the cash register.

Woulda, coulda , shoulda. A lot of "might haves" in that post. All she had to do was walk to the register for a minute, turn in the coins, and that would be that.

The restaurant was the one who made a big deal out of it, and they got called for it. One thing no business should ever do is criticize or belittle a PAYING customer, and he did PAY. Last I knew, quarters were legal tender.

Old 07-20-2018, 05:06 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Woulda, coulda , shoulda. A lot of "might haves" in that post. All she had to do was walk to the register for a minute, turn in the coins, and that would be that.
"Woulda coulda shoulda", indeed.

I've never worked in a restaurant that had a register we could just dump money into. The bar had a register, but that was for the bartenders to use, not servers.

The only restaurants I dine at that have a register for servers, are those where patrons pay at the register. Since this guy left with all those coins on the table, it seems to be the type of place where you pay your server, not at a register.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:24 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,950,527 times
My mother worked as a waitress for many years. She had a big old beat up enamel pot that she used for change. Came home from work, kicked off her shoes, threw the change in the pot and went to bed.

Once every couple of weeks, we'd all sit around the table and stack coins. I did the nickels. My brother did the pennies. Mom did the quarters and dimes. There were coin wrappers from the bank and we just filled them up, counted them and took them to the bank. Any coins left over, i.e., not enough to fill a roll, we were allowed to keep.

We used it to take the bus to the movies on Saturdays.

I never heard anyone complain about coins. But then, we knew what it was like not to have them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events