Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 04:14 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post

He actually did pay in nickles and dimes.

Why should the server be greatful that he was too lazy to go to a coinstar? His laziness just means the server now has to waste their own time going to coinstar. It still costs the server part of the tip, I don't know why you think it won't.
Why do you think the server will have to convert the coins to bills? The restaurant will accept the coins as payment of the bill. The server will be "stuck" with $10 tip in change. Is that really too much trouble? And they could just as well use it as change or put it into a laundry machine, to wash their car, or any number of other things without having to take it to a coinstar. That's why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree that is just rude. Paying the tip in quarters is one thing, but paying the entire bill in change is extremely inconsiderate. As someone who spent many years working jobs for tips, I can say that on the few occasions I had customers pull crap like that, not only did I not get a tip for counting out all the change, but usually when I finally got around to counting it all out, it was short, and I had to make up the difference out of my own pocket. Large amount of change = scammers.
Curious why you had to pay the difference. Learn the labor laws. You are not responsible for a debt owed by a customer no matter how your boss spun it to you. That's like saying that a shoplifter in a retail store that you saw stealing. ..you would have to pay for that item. Gosh seems logical to understand that you willingly paid under the wrong in formation . I'm sorry that you did pay. It wasn't yours to do.

And yup I've paid in coins. Not lazy one bit. The waitress was my niece and she loves collecting 50 cent pieces when they were in circulation. Some folks actually enjoy the bill being paid and a little something extra.

My dad paid a fine to the county in pennies. He paid his city tax and road repair bill by check. A week later he has a 'fine' on his car that is sitting outside our house. The officer said....sorry but your car is not to have a trailer attached to it on the streets. Mind you he was packing our car for a vacation trip. So in he goes to pay the 40$ fine. In pennies. Wrapped of course but one did intentionality break open and the clerk was irate. He looked at her and said...glad we can both identify that feeling. That's how I felt as a tax payer getting fined.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
As far as the whole thing being a "joke," I can see the photo and the caption of how not to pay at a restaurant being mildly humorous if they'd left it at that, but the added commentary about it being "ridiculousness" and the hashtags like #no home training crossed the line into petty mean-spiritedness.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:28 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
What a bunch of crabby pants on here. The quarters and change were his tips that he made working at another restaurant - it's legal tender.

And guess what - people are so supportive of him - there's a go fund me acct that's already over $3,000, he has his own Facebook page and people are supportive - he started a youtube acct and he's showing videos of taking his bag of tips and going into restaurants and paying for other's meals - with his change. He treated the servicemen at Buffalo Wild Wings - the restaurant got free publicity and were quite happy to accept his change and then the news vans pulled up.

Can't believe that some people can be so caustic when the kid is doing something good and should be admired.
YES!! I was despairing of people ignoring what he did -- talk about turning a bad day around! The fact that he is using his fame to doing something nice for others is admirable!

Kudos to him!!!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Why do you think the server will have to convert the coins to bills?
Because it doesn't just happen magically, and most people don't want to carry around $35 in change.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:29 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
Quote:
He found a way to turn his lazyness into 15 minutes of fame... Let's not act like he's curing cancer with those coins.
Oh, please! How can you call what he did laziness? He EARNED that money!

Quote:
I could exchange money at the bar too, but the bartenders don't want all that change either. So no, I would be stuck with it. The last restaurant I worked in, the managers only used bills when dealing with the servers. If I owed them $45.65 at the end of the night, I gave them $46, and if I owed $45.47, I gave them $45. Same rules for if they owed me money at the end of the night.

No one wants all that change. Thats why the customer paid with all that change. He didn't want to deal with all that change either, so decided to pass it off to someone else instead of being an adult about it and going to the bank or coinstar.
Have you never heard of a coin counting machine? Use of them is free at the bank I use.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:31 PM

6,559 posts, read 8,391,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
As far as the whole thing being a "joke," I can see the photo and the caption of how not to pay at a restaurant being mildly humorous if they'd left it at that, but the added commentary about it being "ridiculousness" and the hashtags like #no home training crossed the line into petty mean-spiritedness.
I agree. They only claimed it was a “joke” when the backlash started. It was mean-spirited and unprofessional. It was no joke.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Reading through this thread, I couldn't help being reminded of the Seinfeld where Kramer paid for the calzones with so many pennies from his pocket he could hardly walk.

Geez--talk about first world problems!

Old 07-19-2018, 04:42 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Because it doesn't just happen magically, and most people don't want to carry around $35 in change.
But again... all the server has to be concerned about is $10 in change. That's a roll of quarters. Would that be too much trouble for you?

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Curious why you had to pay the difference. Learn the labor laws. You are not responsible for a debt owed by a customer no matter how your boss spun it to you.
Sure, he could have not paid for the customer who didn't, and he could have been fired. Servers don't have much legal protection in their jobs and they earn below minimum wage. Many live in poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events