Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 03:39 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
They weren't crying, they were making a joke. People in the service industry joke all the time about those who pay with coins. Those who took offense to the joke are probably the same people who are inconsiderate enough to pay their bill with coins.
Sure they do -- among themselves and even on their personal social media pages. Crying about customers doesn't belong on a restaurant's official social media page. It's just a bad way to do business, whether it's supposed to be all jokey or not.

The little joke doesn't "offend" me, btw, and I can certainly see how it would be a major annoyance. My point remains that it was a bad business move to whine about it on the restaurant's social media page. Beer88 obviously agrees or they wouldn't have ran to delete the post -- and their entire Facebook page shortly afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Are quarters not fungible?
Aren't they also easy to cont - compared to dimes nickels and pennies?
He actually did pay in nickles and dimes.

Quote:
Everyone knows that kids in their teens have a more difficult time getting money together; and taking his coins to the coinstar machine would have cost him (actually the waiter) $3.50 to $4.00 in tips. IMO, the waiter should be grateful that he did not go to a coinstar first.
Why should the server be greatful that he was too lazy to go to a coinstar? His laziness just means the server now has to waste their own time going to coinstar. It still costs the server part of the tip, I don't know why you think it won't.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM

^ Servers were always welcome to change in their coins for paper currency in our restaurant.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:44 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Forgot the happy pills today? It really doesn't affect you as you are neither a customer of the restaurant nor the server. .
It doesn't affect you, either.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The little joke doesn't "offend" me, btw. My point remains that it was a bad business move. Beer88 obviously agrees or they wouldn't have ran to delete it.
They deleted it because so many people can't take a joke. People who has never even been to their restaurant were complaining about their joke. You want to talk about childish behavior, who leaves a restaurant they've never even heard of a 1 star review over a joke?

They had to delete their social media pages, and Yelp has to go through and clean up their reviews because people are acting like complete psychos. If you don't like the joke, move on. No reason to try and get a restaurant shut down and have people lose their jobs, all because you didn't laugh at a joke.

And just because it seems like it needs to be pointed out, I'm not using "you" to mean you personally. Just as I never said anything about you being offended.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbkr5 View Post
Many years back in Cali our electric co. was granted a rate hike. A BIG hike. Naturally many people were very unhappy with that.

A couple with a bill of $142.60 came to the office with 14,260 pennies in a wheelbarrow. Picture was in the paper. Utility co. refused the payment in that form.

Both parties went to court. Judge said that the electric co. had to accept the pennies because they were legal tender just like any other currency.
SDGE sent my old roomie a bill for like 1.25 after a huge price increase so he sent them 125 one cent checks.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
^ Servers were always welcome to change in their coins for paper currency in our restaurant.
I could exchange money at the bar too, but the bartenders don't want all that change either. So no, I would be stuck with it. The last restaurant I worked in, the managers only used bills when dealing with the servers. If I owed them $45.65 at the end of the night, I gave them $46, and if I owed $45.47, I gave them $45. Same rules for if they owed me money at the end of the night.

No one wants all that change. Thats why the customer paid with all that change. He didn't want to deal with all that change either, so decided to pass it off to someone else instead of being an adult about it and going to the bank or coinstar.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
They deleted it because so many people can't take a joke. People who has never even been to their restaurant were complaining about their joke. You want to talk about childish behavior, who leaves a restaurant they've never even heard of a 1 star review over a joke?

They had to delete their social media pages, and Yelp has to go through and clean up their reviews because people are acting like complete psychos. If you don't like the joke, move on. No reason to try and get a restaurant shut down and have people lose their jobs, all because you didn't laugh at a joke.

And just because it seems like it needs to be pointed out, I'm not using "you" to mean you personally. Just as I never said anything about you being offended.
It happens all the time. That's why smart business people are extremely circumspect about their social media presence. Any joke that can be taken wrong will be taken wrong, and once the social media bandwagon gets rolling, it's just about impossible to stop. It's hard for me to imagine that whoever made that post couldn't see the probable repercussions.

They didn't have to delete their social media page, and personally, I wouldn't have done it. A simple apology before moving on would have been more effective.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Money is money & a $10 tip is good, whether it is in coins or bills. I think the restaurateur was wrong to make an issue out of this & I hope patrons do show up with stacks of coins to pay.
Or....Don't show up. I wouldn't even patronize someone who is shaming a teen for this type situation....

Old 07-19-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
I could exchange money at the bar too, but the bartenders don't want all that change either. So no, I would be stuck with it. The last restaurant I worked in, the managers only used bills when dealing with the servers. If I owed them $45.65 at the end of the night, I gave them $46, and if I owed $45.47, I gave them $45. Same rules for if they owed me money at the end of the night.

No one wants all that change. Thats why the customer paid with all that change. He didn't want to deal with all that change either, so decided to pass it off to someone else instead of being an adult about it and going to the bank or coinstar.
Like I said, servers in our restaurant were always welcome to exchange their change for paper currency. We never seemed to have enough change, especially since taxes always caused odd amounts like $17.61. Some of them didn't want to give up their quarters because they used them for laundry. Sorry this is so hard for you. Maybe if you get stuck with change in the future, you should just throw it away, idk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events