Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
You've obviously never worked at a restaurant if you think a server has nothing to do with your bill. You think every time a table pays in cash, the server runs and gives the money to a manger? No, they keep it till the end of their shift. If their total cash sales were more then their credit card tips, then they would give the manager money at the end of the night. But if most people pay with a card, the restaurant would owe the server money.

Even if the server owed the restaurant money, most managers I had would have laughed at me if I tried to pay them with all those nickles and dimes. They're busy, they have other servers to check out, and other work to do around the restaurant. They don't have time to sit and count change.
Hmmm I guess every time I've paid the server in cash I had no idea they weren't going to the register and bringing me back the change from the register.
I wonder what they were doing when I watched them take my payment to the register and saw the cashier take money from the server and give them change and then the sever brought it back to me?
I had no idea that at the end of the night the servers had hundreds or thousands in their pockets the whole time and at closing all the servers brought in all their tickets and slammed the register with a wad of money and tabs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 10:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Hmmm I guess every time I've paid the server in cash I had no idea they weren't going to the register and bringing me back the change from the register.
I wonder what they were doing when I watched them take my payment to the register and saw the cashier take money from the server and give them change and then the sever brought it back to me?
I had no idea that at the end of the night the servers had hundreds or thousands in their pockets the whole time and at closing all the servers brought in all their tickets and slammed the register with a wad of money and tabs.
Well, now you know.

Except most places don't require servers to keep every receipt. They have a log in code for the POS (point of sale) machine, and all their transactions are tracked through there. At the end of the night, they print off a sales report which shows how much money they owe the restaurant or how much the restaurant owes them.

Servers are required to keep a "bank" on them at all time, typically small bills amounting to about $20. This is how they give customers who pay in cash their chsnge back.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:45 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
You've obviously never worked at a restaurant if you think a server has nothing to do with your bill. You think every time a table pays in cash, the server runs and gives the money to a manger? No, they keep it till the end of their shift. If their total cash sales were more then their credit card tips, then they would give the manager money at the end of the night. But if most people pay with a card, the restaurant would owe the server money.

Even if the server owed the restaurant money, most managers I had would have laughed at me if I tried to pay them with all those nickels and dimes. They're busy, they have other servers to check out, and other work to do around the restaurant. They don't have time to sit and count change.
I never expected my managers to take more then $1 in loose change. I took all of the coins home with me and rolled them up. Then I would take them back to work, and ask the manager if they needed them. Some would accept them on a space available basis. It saved them having to get them from the bank. Other managers wanted nothing to do with it, so I had to take them to my bank.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-ce...al-tender.aspx
This isn't really about that. We know that businesses can refuse to accept cash. Beer88, however, doesn't have a policy against accepting cash payments. Changing or making up policy on the spur of the moment because of one customer isn't advisable. Besides, they accepted the payment.

Old 07-19-2018, 10:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't know if that is entirely accurate. I work for a fortune 50 and I've been told we are allowed to turn away large amounts of loose change as a form of payment. That could be inaccurate or it could be because we haven't actually created a debt situation until the customer gets to the point of sale.
I think that's probably it. Sit-down restaurants are a little different because the debt is incurred before the point of sale. It's my understanding that restaurants that don't take cash are required to make that clear from the beginning either with signage or stated policy before the customer incurs a debt to the establishment.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:24 PM

1,289 posts, read 938,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I think that's probably it. Sit-down restaurants are a little different because the debt is incurred before the point of sale. It's my understanding that restaurants that don't take cash are required to make that clear from the beginning either with signage or stated policy before the customer incurs a debt to the establishment.
Again, all I'm asking is that a statute or statutes be shown to support this understanding.

Old 07-19-2018, 11:27 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:

Even if the server owed the restaurant money, most managers I had would have laughed at me if I tried to pay them with all those nickles and dimes. They're busy, they have other servers to check out, and other work to do around the restaurant. They don't have time to sit and count change.
When did I say a server has nothing to do with the bill?

In my experience, the restaurant manager is responsible for the receipts. If they do not want to accept payment from the waitperson in coin, after approving acceptance from the customer, then they don't get pad. It's that simple and no restaurant manager is going to say, no, keep all those coins that I already approved acceptance of.

And also no, wait people do not walk around the restaurant all night holding onto their entire receipts for the whole shift until the end of the night - that would be idiotic. They may wait until it slower, but the cash goes into the till. That's how it was when I managed 30 years ago and I am sure that's how it is now. Now when it comes time to balance the drawer, again, if the manager now refuses to accept coin from the waiter that he approved, then that is another problem.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-19-2018 at 11:55 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,574,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The store is responsible for the receipts. If they do not want to accept payment from the waitperson in coin, coin that was approved by the manager for payment, then they don't get pad. It's that simple and no restaurant manager is going to say, no, keep all those coins that I already approved acceptance of.

And also no, wait people do not walk around the store all night holding onto their entire receipts for the whole shift until the end of the night - that would be idiotic. They may wait until it slower, but the cash goes into the till. That's how it was when I managed 30 years ago and I am sure that's how it is now.
So when a server takes my cash with the bill they don't go to the register and get my change? They actually have change in their pockets and bring it to me and then take the bill with the correct amount to the register when they have time?

Old 07-19-2018, 11:57 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,168,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
So when a server takes my cash with the bill they don't go to the register and get my change? They actually have change in their pockets and bring it to me and then take the bill with the correct amount to the register when they have time?
That seems to be what SundayDrive00 believes. Not me. But you are right - I did say they may wait until it is slower to get to the register, but that was a brain fart on my part. Even though that does rarely happen in very small restaurants, it is not a common practice.

Old 07-20-2018, 12:08 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That seems to be what SundayDrive00 believes. Not me.
What I believe? Its how restaurants work, not some ideology. There isn't anything to believe, or not believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events