Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 02:43 PM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
This guy didn't use coins to pay the change portion of his bill, he claims to habe paid $35 in coins. That's completely differnet from your scenario.

When I worked as a server, I didnt care if people payed a $1 or so in change, whatever. It was nice to have some change so that I could give customers back exact change. But carrying around $35 worth of coins in my apron? No, that would be annoying.

And before anyone says it, if I didnt have exact change I'd always round up in the customer's favor.
It's one customer - not the norm. I remember going to the mall restaurant with the girls for French fries and cokes pd for with our babysitting money. We got a lot of change back then as we only got pd 25 cents an hour - our waitress never complained!

When we're in Vegas - I usually leave the maids all our change - usually $5-$10 a day - no one has ever refused it. Most people don't have a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 02:46 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,011,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
For once a great story about a youth doing something good for someone else. I wish we saw more of this in the news.
He found a way to turn his lazyness into 15 minutes of fame... Let's not act like he's curing cancer with those coins.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:57 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Restaurants have many issues with bad behavior from customers. I personally don't see how they deal with all of it.
They act like adults and develop a professional attitude instead of whining over every little thing.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They act like adults and develop a professional attitude instead of whining over every little thing.
Such as those complaining about a restaurant making a joke on social media?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Such as those complaining about a restaurant making a joke on social media?
False equivalency, sorry. This is an anonymous forum and not a social media account for a business.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:08 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,137,656 times
Many years back in Cali our electric co. was granted a rate hike. A BIG hike. Naturally many people were very unhappy with that.

A couple with a bill of $142.60 came to the office with 14,260 pennies in a wheelbarrow. Picture was in the paper. Utility co. refused the payment in that form.

Both parties went to court. Judge said that the electric co. had to accept the pennies because they were legal tender just like any other currency.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:12 PM

Quote:
False equivalency, sorry. This is an anonymous forum and not a social media account for a business.
What does being anonymous have to do with anything?

Its not like the company posted this guy's name or picture.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
What does being anonymous have to do with anything?

Its not like the company posted this guy's name or picture.
You tried to draw a parallel between my comments here and the actions of the restaurant in the article. Posting on a forum is not the same thing as posting under a business social media account. It has nothing to do with them not posting the kid's name or pic. It's about them using their social media account to cry about customers. That's not how adults conduct business, and Beer88 found out pretty quickly that this approach doesn't fly.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,158,777 times
Are quarters not fungible?
Aren't they also easy to count - compared to dimes, nickels, and pennies?

Everyone knows that kids in their teens have a more difficult time getting money together; and taking his coins to the coinstar machine would have cost him (actually the waiter) $3.50 to $4.00 in tips. IMO, the waiter should be grateful that he did not go to a coinstar first.

He was thoughtful enough to leave a nice 22% tip - how many kids do that?
He was thoughtful enough to pick up a check for his friends - how many kids do that?

The only thing he should have done first IMO is to let the restaurant know before hand what was coming.

When I managed a deli it was not uncommon for people to bring pennies in for food. We usually just made an agreement with the purchaser that no one would count the coins because it would take too long; as long as the purchaser agreed to accept our estimate of the value - based on what it weighed.

Much crying from the restaurant about nothing.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-19-2018 at 04:09 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 03:33 PM

Quote:
You tried to draw a parallel between my comments here and the actions of the restaurant in the article. Posting on a forum is not the same thing as posting under a business social media account. It has nothing to do with them not posting the kid's name or pic. It's about them using their social media account to cry about customers. That's not how adults conduct business, and Beer88 found out pretty quickly that this approach doesn't fly.
They weren't crying, they were making a joke. People in the service industry joke all the time about those who pay with coins. Those who took offense to the joke are probably the same people who are inconsiderate enough to pay their bill with coins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events