Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 07:31 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times

Advertisements

I read through these comments and wonder just what the hell is wrong with people?

The kid paid his bill with legal tender. Case closed. End of story.

If the restaurant's post was truly sarcastic, then they failed.
If it was serious, then they are idiots.

Sure, change can be a nuisance. I recall moonlighting at a grocery store and people would come in to buy their evening six pack or bottle using change from their pockets or the ashtray in their car. Yeah, it was an inconvenience for me to count it, but you know what? Tough cookies on me! The customer paid and my job was to accept accurate payment.

Life isn't always what we want. And who are we to judge (or ridicule) others for doing what they believe is the responsible thing to do? SMH...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I agree that is just rude. Paying the tip in quarters is one thing, but paying the entire bill in change is extremely inconsiderate. As someone who spent many years working jobs for tips, I can say that on the few occasions I had customers pull crap like that, not only did I not get a tip for counting out all the change, but usually when I finally got around to counting it all out, it was short, and I had to make up the difference out of my own pocket. Large amount of change = scammers.
Soooo because of those "few occasions" you personally experienced, you think it's fair to label all coin-payers as scammers? This kid paid the entire bill + $10 tip. Therefore you are wrong, at least about him. But yeah, let's assume an innocent teenager is a thief based on a few bad apples.

I often pay with change (not quite this much though), simply because it's all I have at that moment... plus I tend to hoard it because it's easier to pay with bills, and then finally use them when they start weighing down my wallet. Thankfully not everyone is so judgmental about it, and I've yet to be shamed or to have my coins rejected. Money is money, and until the federal government decides to remove all coins from circulation, we're still free to use them as tender.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
It was apparently too much trouble for this guy to deal with his coins, so why is it suddenly not a big deal for the server?
When I was a server (many moons ago), we didn't actually count all the cash until after closing - and tips were split equally between the servers, minus a certain percentage to the kitchen staff. All restaurants have their own procedures, but it wasn't like I had to sit down and count money after every table. Heck, I barely had time to even look at the bills! We just assumed it was all there, and IIRC the "dine and dashers" were extremely rare.

Point being, if someone had paid in coins, it wouldn't likely have taken any time out of my day... we were a pretty busy restaurant, so most of it would've been given away (to any customers requiring change) by closing anyway.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:39 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The kid paid the bill in legal tender. That would indicate that he could afford the restaurant.
Being able to "afford" going to a restaurant, for most people means something more than just breaking open their piggy bank, and counting out every dime and nickel they have to their name.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Being able to "afford" going to a restaurant, for most people means something more than just breaking open their piggy bank, and counting out every dime and nickel they have to their name.
He was a teenager who took his tips from a server job with him to the restaurant, not someone who busted out his piggy bank to be able to afford to go. For all you know, he's got a real bank account. The point remains that he paid with legal tender. Sorry that's so hard for some of you to accept, but as long as the restaurant accepts U.S. currency, he's got every right to pay with coins.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The bill was paid in full.
In this case, the restaurant would have no legal right to refuse one form of payment and turn around and demand another.
You're sure? Right now I'm not going to research this deeply but if you have something to show I'm more than willing to look at it. I'd appreciate learning something new. Thanks.
https://www.federalreserve.gov/faqs/currency_12772.htm
Have A Question?
Ask Us
Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.

Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
You're sure? Right now I'm not going to research this deeply but if you have something to show I'm more than willing to look at it. I'd appreciate learning something new. Thanks.
Have A Question?
Ask Us
Is it legal for a business in the United States to refuse cash as a form of payment?
Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above is a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person, or an organization must accept currency or coins as payment for goods or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether to accept cash unless there is a state law which says otherwise.
I didn't claim that businesses could not refuse to accept cash as a form of payment. What I said was that they can't suddenly refuse to accept currency and then turn around and demand the type of currency that's convenient for them.

Quite a few businesses are actually going the "no cash" route, btw. For your research:

https://www.sfgate.com/business/arti...e-12456054.php

Again, businesses can refuse to accept cash. What they can't do is apply that to some customers and not to others. They don't get to make up a "no cash" rule on the spot because they don't want to be inconvenienced with coins. ETA they might have some legal rights in this instance if it had been clearly posted policy, but that clearly wasn't the case.

I'm not sure why some people even go into business. This is a prime example of why so many businesses simply don't make it -- bad judgement concerning public relations.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2018 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Let us repeat, since it doesn't seem to be sinking in yet: HE. IS. A. TEENAGER. And what's your point, anyway? Do you actually care about how other people choose to spend THEIR money? As long as they obtained the money legally, I don't give a flying patooty how they use it.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Have A Question?
Ask Us

Cash = bills AND coins, though. So while the (other poster's) statement that "they can't legally refuse one form of tender" isn't technically true, if they accept CASH that includes all forms of it. So in this case, I don't think they could say "no coins; only bills." That would get tricky, unless your business only sold in whole dollar amounts and didn't have sales tax.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,136 times
It's a teen, give the kid a break. He spent the money he earned working at another restaurant. Be happy he didn't dine and ditch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events