Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 10:19 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times

Advertisements

A 9-year-old’s family says she committed suicide after racist bullying, including taunts of ‘kill yourself’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7496ff0998c5

What is wrong with people!! Why would they pick on this beautiful little girl. I just don't get this, at all. Why did this happen. Why didn't somebody at school defend her.

Old 12-12-2018, 02:08 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
A 9-year-old’s family says she committed suicide after racist bullying, including taunts of ‘kill yourself’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.7496ff0998c5

What is wrong with people!! Why would they pick on this beautiful little girl. I just don't get this, at all. Why did this happen. Why didn't somebody at school defend her.
I don't know why it happened but the school says they were never given any reports of MacKenzie being bullied.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/news/...dams-of-linden

Old 12-12-2018, 02:53 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
I agree with the grandmother. Kids 9 years old saying such things makes you wonder where on earth they learned it.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I agree with the grandmother. Kids 9 years old saying such things makes you wonder where on earth they learned it.
Not really. Probably at home.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:44 PM

50,846 posts, read 24,359,728 times
I will say what I have said before:

If you child is being bullied (of course, the definition of bullying has gotten awfully confusing nowadays), give the school one chance to solve the issue.

If the school doesn't promptly take care of it:
1. Put detailed complaints in writing directed to the principal of the school...and even better, send them through registered mail.
2. Forward copies of the complaints to the superintendent and the president of the board of education...even better, via registered mail.

Few school officials will ignore such hints that legal action could follow.

There is one caveat: You need to be sure that bullying actually took place, and every bit of unpleasantness is not bullying.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:08 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,837,240 times
According to the school, there's no record of bullying complaints. The mother (who's already perched on Facebook) should be able to provide proof of that. Why can't she? And if this little girl was, according to the family, "bullied all year at Jones [the school]," why would they even want to hold her service there? I sure wouldn't.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:34 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,253,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delahanty View Post
according to the school, there's no record of bullying complaints. The mother (who's already perched on facebook) should be able to provide proof of that. Why can't she? And if this little girl was, according to the family, "bullied all year at jones [the school]," why would they even want to hold her service there? I sure wouldn't.
+1.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:42 PM

24,647 posts, read 9,472,982 times
This goes on the parents 100%. You can’t control how other kids act in school but you can certainly control removing your kids from the environment.

Unfortunately bullying happens in every school and you can’t control someone else’s child, not even the schools can do that. You simply have to remove the bullied kid from the school.

You also have to emphasize to the kid that K-12 school is only temporary, after high school you won’t see probably 95% of the people ever again. People leave, join the military, go to college, go to trade school, go to community college, move to different areas, etc. I’m from San Antonio, Texas and I haven’t seen my childhood friends in decades.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,910,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I will say what I have said before:

If you child is being bullied (of course, the definition of bullying has gotten awfully confusing nowadays), give the school one chance to solve the issue.

If the school doesn't promptly take care of it:
1. Put detailed complaints in writing directed to the principal of the school...and even better, send them through registered mail.
2. Forward copies of the complaints to the superintendent and the president of the board of education...even better, via registered mail.

Few school officials will ignore such hints that legal action could follow.

There is one caveat: You need to be sure that bullying actually took place, and every bit of unpleasantness is not bullying.
This is somewhat along the lines of legal action against sexual harassment. Many years ago I designed a web page for Bernice Sandler, who is one of the leaders in the methods to counter sexual harassment in academia. The process is something like:

1. From the beginning, document, on paper, each incident of harassment in as much careful detail as possible.
2. Speak to the person privately, telling them what they're doing is making you uncomfortable. If they don't stop;
3. Present them with the documentation. Most people with any common sense will stop at this point. If they don't;
4. Share the documentation with the immediate authority at the school. The department head, department chair, whatever.
5. Keep going up the food chain until you get results.
6. If no one will help, see an attorney. Most law schools have free legal clinics.

My understanding is that sexual harassment is illegal at the federal level and if you go to court, you can end up with their house and their car and their dog, as they say.

I am brokenhearted about this little girl hanging herself. Suicide is never the answer to anything. She was probably brilliant and sensitive and could have contributed substantially to the community. What a waste.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:01 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Not really. Probably at home.

You think 9 year old kids learn to say "kill yourself" at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events