Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2019, 01:16 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,671,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
In a tight housing market landlords get real picky.
That's a good thing, especially in in multi-family units where a bad tenant makes life miserable for the other tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 03:34 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,785,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
That's a good thing, especially in in multi-family units where a bad tenant makes life miserable for the other tenants.
Yeah, yeah, we've got how utterly awful the life of a landlord is. However, it has nothing to do with demand for housing except that the landlord can pick his "perfect" tenant should one apply, and not have to settle for ordinary renters who might break a doorknob.

At the time I was looking for a rental, the practice here was to have an open house, collect as many as 100 applications, then pick the very cherriest of them. I'm sure that was cause for dancing in the streets at the Annual Landlords Convention, but it's just one more datum in the primary contention here: that a rising number of employed, hard-working, nominally quality renters cannot find a place to live.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:50 PM

23,255 posts, read 29,108,214 times
Quote:
Excellent example, thanks for sharing it. In a tight housing market landlords get real picky. When we moved from Reno to Sacramento we needed a place for a few months while we looked for a house to buy. We couldn't find a month to month rental that would accept our two dogs, even extended stay would only accept one. Money wasn't an issue and neither was income, landlords just wouldn't take two dogs unless we signed a 12 month lease. We ended up spending 3 months in a nasty a$$ La Quinta motel, and that cost us over $1500 a month
But that also saved you a ton of money. Think! You signed a 12 month lease, and you found your dream home the next day, and?

Old 01-17-2019, 07:11 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
But that also saved you a ton of money. Think! You signed a 12 month lease, and you found your dream home the next day, and?
But we wouldn't sign a 12 month lease, that's why we stayed in a motel. If we hadn't been able to find a motel that took dogs we would have gotten a place in Reno where they seem to be more tolerant of pets and just driven back and forth to find a place.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yeah, yeah, we've got how utterly awful the life of a landlord is. However, it has nothing to do with demand for housing except that the landlord can pick his "perfect" tenant should one apply, and not have to settle for ordinary renters who might break a doorknob.

At the time I was looking for a rental, the practice here was to have an open house, collect as many as 100 applications, then pick the very cherriest of them. I'm sure that was cause for dancing in the streets at the Annual Landlords Convention, but it's just one more datum in the primary contention here: that a rising number of employed, hard-working, nominally quality renters cannot find a place to live.
Yep, they did that open house stuff in Oakland when my son was looking for a place there, and they all required a deposit and of the four he attended, he lost the deposit twice, the landlords just refused to return it and wouldn't answer their phone. Some of them required a 'resume' with a list of his social media accounts and his interests and various essay questions- it was bizarre.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
When I moved to Denver, I spent a month trying to find a single place that would let me have two big dogs. Despite much input from locals, who assured me there were many places that "allowed pets," exceptional credit rating and an ability to put down insane deposits, every one basically hung up on me at "...two Great Danes."

I had to buy a house, more or less blind, to complete the move. Most renters can't even stretch to such an alternative.
Same here, we have two very large labradoodles, one weighs 90 pounds, the other 70. Nothing else mattered, that made us 'untouchables'

Old 01-17-2019, 07:57 PM

37,661 posts, read 46,107,056 times
Quote:
Same here, we have two very large labradoodles, one weighs 90 pounds, the other 70. Nothing else mattered, that made us 'untouchables'
I would not blame anyone for that. IF I were renting out my own house, pets would not be acceptable.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I would not blame anyone for that. IF I were renting out my own house, pets would not be acceptable.
I'm talking about apartments that take a 3-6 month lease, not a house. We were moving, we sold our house and needed a place to stay until we could buy a place and get escrow closed. But in any case, why would you not be willing to accept a tenant with two dogs if your tenant was willing to put up any kind of security deposit that you required? It's not like we're some kind of low lifes with dogs that crap on the carpet. To be honest, most people who rent out their house are kidding themselves if they think their tenants won't have pets, they just bring them in after they move in & unless you live next door you will probably never know it.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,852,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I am opposite, I rent out three homes, pets of any kind and number are welcomed, as long as they are legal.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,785,701 times
Quote:
But we wouldn't sign a 12 month lease, that's why we stayed in a motel. If we hadn't been able to find a motel that took dogs we would have gotten a place in Reno where they seem to be more tolerant of pets and just driven back and forth to find a place.
An aside, but a staggering number of hotels take dogs. I drove CA-CT with two Great Danes, then CT-CO with two more, and it was never a problem finding a place to stay. A few refused; a few wanted either cleaning fees or large deposits; the majority just said, "How many beds?" And contrary to what you might think, many were "better" places, quite nice for highway-traveler motels.

(I treasure the memory of coming out of a third-floor room with the boy, who needed to visit the lawn at 1 a.m., and running into two drunk conventioneers. They couldn't figure out why I had a cow in a hotel.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events