Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 08:22 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,653,143 times

Advertisements

Not all problems have solutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:10 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
It's amazing how entitled people are over someone else's property. The landlord will find out when there's a complaint from the neighbor, or they forget and complain that the landlord needs to come over and change their lightbulb. If not, wow great job, they were dishonest people and got away with it. Not something I'd be bragging about.

Animals do damage, it's completely reasonable to have rules against pets, and I can see why landlords would want to cover themselves just in case. My coworker has a bunny that chewed up the baseboards all around her house. If it's easy to avoid with a simple rule then why not?
I'm not saying landlords have an obligation to rent to tenants with pets, I'm not sure how you decided that was my position. What I said was that when we moved to Sacramento we had to stay in a motel until we could move into our home, I didn't blame landlords or say they were bad people.

In this post that you responded to my statement that it's common for tenants to deny having pets and then bring them in at a later time. I didn't say that was right or that it was a good idea but neither did I advocate that people do that so please lighten up, I'm not trying to fight with you

Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The fact is that American owned small businesses cannot compete with other businesses that use illegal immigrants and that drives legal businesses out of business. You have to have a level playing field and there is nothing level about illegal immigration. These companies are breaking our laws!

As far as not getting any food on our tables; many of those jobs are going to the robotics. Perhaps you have not seen all the recalls of our vegies lately. These big producers do not want the hassle of immigrants that don't wash their hands or defecate in the fields. The companies lose a lot of money on a recall and that drives even more automation. So where are the illegals going to work when all the standard farm jobs vanish?
It's not about workers not washing their hands or defecating in the fields, that's absurd. It's mostly from livestock feedlots. Drive through the central valley of California and look at the cows standing in feces up to their hocks, that waste goes right into the groundwater and contaminates nearby crops. Look it up for yourself if you doubt me.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:32 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
There is evolution; but are we fighting our way up the ladder or down the ladder?

Does anybody ever wonder if we could have a program like the FDR CCC: https://www.history.com/topics/great...ervation-corps. Of course it would have to meet today's restrictions and regulations. I also do not think that the group would be able to go around and drain swamps. I also presume we would have to pay them more that the $30/month the original plan paid!

Old 01-20-2019, 09:47 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's not about workers not washing their hands or defecating in the fields, that's absurd. It's mostly from livestock feedlots. Drive through the central valley of California and look at the cows standing in feces up to their hocks, that waste goes right into the groundwater and contaminates nearby crops. Look it up for yourself if you doubt me.
I do understand that cow manure is one of the largest sources of E. coli. That is especially true if the manure has not been properly composted. But humans also have E. coli in our intestines and we can also spread the disease from unsanitary procedures. WHO still states: "Person-to-person contact is an important mode of transmission through the oral-fecal route." From: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/e-coli.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
100% incorrect. All problems do indeed have solutions.

Just not solutions a majority accept.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:01 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
There is evolution; but are we fighting our way up the ladder or down the ladder?

Does anybody ever wonder if we could have a program like the FDR CCC: https://www.history.com/topics/great...ervation-corps. Of course it would have to meet today's restrictions and regulations. I also do not think that the group would be able to go around and drain swamps. I also presume we would have to pay them more that the $30/month the original plan paid!
Rebuilding infrastructure is desperately needed and could absolutely used to give jobs to willing Americans. Unfortunately people get distracted and brainwashed by made up border crisis and believing a wall and tax breaks in the 1% are more important. He had a majority for two years and showed in that time where his priorities lie.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:03 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
I do understand that cow manure is one of the largest sources of E. coli. That is especially true if the manure has not been properly composted. But humans also have E. coli in our intestines and we can also spread the disease from unsanitary procedures. WHO still states: "Person-to-person contact is an important mode of transmission through the oral-fecal route." From: https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/e-coli.
Just out of curiosity, how many of the kids at mcDonalds or Papa Johns fo you think wash their hands?

Regardless I don’t think that’s the cause of contaminants in the food supply.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:33 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,249,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not saying landlords have an obligation to rent to tenants with pets, I'm not sure how you decided that was my position. What I said was that when we moved to Sacramento we had to stay in a motel until we could move into our home, I didn't blame landlords or say they were bad people.

In this post that you responded to my statement that it's common for tenants to deny having pets and then bring them in at a later time. I didn't say that was right or that it was a good idea but neither did I advocate that people do that so please lighten up, I'm not trying to fight with you
Well, you seem to be a little unaware of the attitudes implied in your posts. You are basically scoffing at the landlords who denied you.

Quote:
We couldn't find a month to month rental that would accept our two dogs, even extended stay would only accept one. Money wasn't an issue and neither was income, landlords just wouldn't take two dogs unless we signed a 12 month lease. We ended up spending 3 months in a nasty a$$ La Quinta motel, and that cost us over $1500 a month
Quote:
Same here, we have two very large labradoodles, one weighs 90 pounds, the other 70. Nothing else mattered, that made us 'untouchables'
Quote:
But in any case, why would you not be willing to accept a tenant with two dogs if your tenant was willing to put up any kind of security deposit that you required? It's not like we're some kind of low lifes with dogs that crap on the carpet.
Does all this not imply that it's somehow unfair for the landlords to refuse you for your pets? Come on. Yeah sure, you might not be some lowlife with untrained dogs, but things happen. Dogs can get unpredictable when taken out of their normal environment.

They don't know you personally. They have to treat every applicant the same. They could have been burned in the past, who knows.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:51 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,767,068 times
Yes, yes. Landlords are allowed to set all of their own rules for their own reasons, and most do.

Which is why they are such a beloved group in most societies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events