Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 12:12 PM

239 posts, read 157,804 times

Advertisements

Samantha Josephson found dead after getting into wrong car. Such a sad story.

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-...n-uber-murder/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 01:02 PM

29,546 posts, read 22,876,811 times
Horrible, feel badly for her parents and family.

Old 04-01-2019, 01:59 PM

576 posts, read 501,603 times
How terrible. The days of the big yellow taxi "Checker" cabs being the main sort of hired personal transport, sort of made this type of mistake and then heinous crime, less likely to happen.

I wonder if UBER will take any actions that will help people to know a Uber vehicle, is really a Uber ?

Old 04-01-2019, 02:08 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,106,604 times
this is scary so many Uber drivers in this area do not have visible verification!

Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM

924 posts, read 1,686,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
How terrible. The days of the big yellow taxi "Checker" cabs being the main sort of hired personal transport, sort of made this type of mistake and then heinous crime, less likely to happen.

I wonder if UBER will take any actions that will help people to know a Uber vehicle, is really a Uber ?

They were already in place:

Check your ride
For your personal safety, be certain that you’re getting into the right car. Before hopping in, check the driver, car model, and license plate number against the information in the app. Once you’re in the car, have your driver confirm your name before they go.

In addition, you can track the car's arrival on your phone....but I think this is what may have been the victim's undoing. She was standing on the corner looking at her phone like she was tracking it and the car pulled up. She looked like she was waiting for an Uber and that made her vulnerable to the opportunist that killed her.

Another problem, Uber has been more quickly accepted by younger people than older. There is less opportunity for parents to demonstrate safe riding. I learned how to take the bus and hail a cab from my mom and dad, years ago. Recently, my college-age kids explained to them (my parents) how Uber works and yes, they left out the part about verifying it's your Uber.

Old 04-01-2019, 02:20 PM

576 posts, read 501,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmam View Post
They were already in place:

[i]Check your ride
For your personal safety, be certain that you’re getting into the right car. Before hopping in, check the driver, car model, and license plate number against the information in the app. Once you’re in the car, have your driver confirm your name before they go.

I have never taken a UBER so I am not up to date on their policies. But one can see if they read the blue above, the percentages of anyone taking these measures day in and day out while using uber..IMO are not that great.

I really wish this young lady in the OP had abided by them. JMO

Old 04-01-2019, 02:45 PM

29,546 posts, read 22,876,811 times
Actually, the guideline mentioned above should be modified.

Instead of having your driver confirm your name IN the car, you should be confirming it OUTSIDE the car. Perhaps crack the driver or passenger side door open and confirm this information.

In the case of this unfortunate USC woman, authorities that found the suspect's car saw that the child proof locks were engaged on the rear doors.

Based on the comments from the Washington Post article, it appears this is not an isolated incident. Some women have reported drivers posing as Uber trying to get them into the car. And younger women these days seem to be a bit more careless about these matters, and it doesn't help when alcohol is involved. No doubt this guy was a predator who knew what he was doing.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:06 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,201,401 times
Who would have thought getting into the back of a car of a total stranger would ever work out wrong?

Old 04-01-2019, 03:20 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,498,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Who would have thought getting into the back of a car of a total stranger would ever work out wrong?
Cab drivers are total strangers.

Bus drivers - not to mention the passengers - are total strangers.

Walk into a shop and you're the only customer? You're alone with a total stranger.

The only 'angle' to this story is that it involves a recent concept (Uber and their analogs), which leads people who haven't really though this whole thing through to freak out. Those same people - the ones running around saying "OMG, Uber is scary!" think nothing of getting into their own car... despite the fact that, on average, more than 100 Americans die every day on the roads. And, somehow, that doesn't send them into a similar tizzy.

Old 04-01-2019, 03:26 PM

17,593 posts, read 15,742,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Cab drivers are total strangers.

Bus drivers - not to mention the passengers - are total strangers.

Walk into a shop and you're the only customer? You're alone with a total stranger.

The only 'angle' to this story is that it involves a recent concept (Uber and their analogs), which leads people who haven't really though this whole thing through to freak out. Those same people - the ones running around saying "OMG, Uber is scary!" think nothing of getting into their own car... despite the fact that, on average, more than 100 Americans die every day on the roads. And, somehow, that doesn't send them into a similar tizzy.
Exactly.
Uber/Lyft are basically just modern-day cabs.
I use Uber very frequently. I always check the license plate prior to entering. There is also a picture of the driver on the app to help confirm his/her identity. The proper safety measures are there. Whether people chose to observe/follow these is a different matter. I guess the fact that a lot of people using these services are drunk doesn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events