Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2021, 09:56 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
A few people at fault here.
- Her friend(s) for not making sure it was the actual car for her to leave in.
- Her for not confirming it was Uber. This same scenario was already on prime-time TV detective show
- The murderer for just being an evil animal. Does he get out in 7-10 years now?
I think he is getting a life sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2021, 11:22 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,027,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
A few people at fault here.
- Her friend(s) for not making sure it was the actual car for her to leave in.
- Her for not confirming it was Uber. This same scenario was already on prime-time TV detective show
- The murderer for just being an evil animal. Does he get out in 7-10 years now?
Nope, no one is at fault except the murderer. Getting into the wrong car should just end with a funny story to tell friends, not a death sentence.

Old 08-09-2021, 12:36 PM

8,243 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Nope, no one is at fault except the murderer. Getting into the wrong car should just end with a funny story to tell friends, not a death sentence.
It was a horrible death at that. We don't even execute criminals in such a barbaric way.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:43 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,596,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Based on the comments from the Washington Post article, it appears this is not an isolated incident. Some women have reported drivers posing as Uber trying to get them into the car. And younger women these days seem to be a bit more careless about these matters, and it doesn't help when alcohol is involved. No doubt this guy was a predator who knew what he was doing.
You’re probably right, and although I offer my sincere sympathies to the woman’s family and friends, using these pseudo cabs comes down to saving a dollar.
Why use a licenced taxi, where the guy values his hack licence, and would want to protect it, and pay $10, when you can use a possible predator, and pay only $6.50?

Old 08-15-2021, 06:58 AM

50,820 posts, read 36,514,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
You’re probably right, and although I offer my sincere sympathies to the woman’s family and friends, using these pseudo cabs comes down to saving a dollar.
Why use a licenced taxi, where the guy values his hack licence, and would want to protect it, and pay $10, when you can use a possible predator, and pay only $6.50?
Just to clarify though, it was not an Uber driver who killed her, but someone who was pretending to be her Uber driver.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I can tell you when I switched from cabs to Uber. It was in 2016 before I had my back surgery. I had to go to physical therapy and doctors appointments but I was into much pain to drive. I tried to take cabs to my appointments first. However you have to call well in advance to tell them what time to get there, but still they wouldnt get there at the time I needed. They would show up 20-30 minutes early, when I was not ready yet and my pain was too severe to sit in waiting room for an extra half hour. It also cost me $50 round-trip to get to my chiropractor (Ocean city to the edge of Ventnor/beginning of Atlantic City) and I had to go three times a week.

With Uber though, I was able to simply request an Uber 10 minutes before I had to leave my house, and they would arrive and I would get to my appointment at just the right time. My fare for the same distance as the cab was $25 round-trip instead of $50 round-trip. That’s $300 a month, at a time when I was not working and paying copays for every visit, that’s a lot of money. And that was just for that one appointment, But the inability to really time a cab to when I wanted to leave was an issue too.

I think if you were in a city where you can just hail a cab it is very different, but in a more rural area when you have to call for one it is a very different experience than using Uber and much less convenient.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-15-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 07:17 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,930,579 times
Signs should be issued by Uber or Lyft and should be identical for every driver, not just the "high tier" drivers. A sticker in a window is not adequate, needs to be a lighted sign, like an old school taxi.

https://www.ridester.com/uber-sign-lyft-sign/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events