Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2019, 06:40 AM

16,217 posts, read 11,405,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
These companies should be shut down.Period! It makes me so angry that this happened to that woman.People need to wake up about these 'car services'. Who cares about how cheap these services are compared to a taxi service.It's not worth it.
Maybe you're comfortable enough that you can afford such a luxury -- many people aren't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 08:23 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,058,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
Samantha Josephson found dead after getting into wrong car. Such a sad story.

https://www.elle.com/culture/career-...n-uber-murder/
Even though I dont like Uber, its not their fault. The animal that drove the car and their like that live in this society will take every opportunity to tame innocent people when they get a chance .

I m not sure how that little woman will rest in peace.

As s a precaution, we should at least match the plates and driver face before getting in.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:45 AM

18,800 posts, read 7,712,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
Exactly. A bunch of slick marketers has fooled the public into thinking that they will save a few cents. And so many of the public have been fooled and think that incidents such as this are just bad luck, like slipping in the shower. Meanwhile, they are decimating legitimate well-regulated industries designed to keep predators and degenerates at bay.
Uber and Lyft send you the driver's name, a description of his car, and his license plate number. So when he pulls up, you can check if it's really the person Uber/Lyft sent, before you ever get in the car. Taxi services do none of those things. With a taxi. it could be anyone who painted his car up to look like a taxi, and run off a fake taxi ID on his home computer.

Uber and Lyft also let you watch your phone's screen and track the progress of the approaching driver, so you'll know exactly when he arrives in real time. Taxi service don't do any of that.

Where do you get the fantasy that taxi services are the ones "designed to keep predators and degenerates at bay"? That description fits Uber and Lyft much better than taxis.

Old 04-08-2019, 08:46 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,680,506 times
so sad and unfortunate.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM

51,390 posts, read 37,068,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
This case is very interesting because the suspect Nathaniel David Rowland was not known to have this kind of behavior. Is this a case of the woman getting on the suspect's car and then he dropped her off somewhere but she end up getting killed afterwards by somebody else.

Very interesting case, I wonder how much evidence does the police have and hope there's no cover up or evidence tampering.
They found her blood in the backseat and trunk of his car. They found bleach and her cell phone in his car. They knew that the child safety locks were engaged, preventing her from opening the door. It's some pretty sold evidence, and DNA can confirm it.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
This might have been discussed but my biggest problem with Uber/Lyft/etc is that they market themselves like "too drunk to drive? call an Uber" Ok, I'm too drunk to drive so I call an Uber. If I am too drunk to drive arent I also too drunk to be able to scrutinize if the car claiming to be Uber is the car that is actually from Uber?
The police also tell people to get a ride if you're under the influence. Also, no. The amount of alcohol needed to be considered legally under the influence is .08 in most states. That's like 2 glasses of wine for me. My reflexes might be delayed a split second enough that I shouldn't drive, but I'd certainly be capable of knowing what car I'm getting into. Everyone too drunk to drive isn't falling down drunk. You'd rather have them on the road with you?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Uber and Lyft send you the driver's name, a description of his car, and his license plate number. So when he pulls up, you can check if it's really the person Uber/Lyft sent, before you ever get in the car. Taxi services do none of those things. With a taxi. it could be anyone who painted his car up to look like a taxi, and run off a fake taxi ID on his home computer.

Uber and Lyft also let you watch your phone's screen and track the progress of the approaching driver, so you'll know exactly when he arrives in real time. Taxi service don't do any of that.

Where do you get the fantasy that taxi services are the ones "designed to keep predators and degenerates at bay"? That description fits Uber and Lyft much better than taxis.
Right. I posted a link earlier detailing attacks in regular cabs and another saying attacks on females in taxi cabs are up 3 times higher in recent times. But if it doesn't fit they're narrative they won't even read it.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:48 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,610,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
These companies should be shut down.Period! Crazy!! These companies are only in it for the money.Bring back yellow taxi cabs I say. Also more people are at huge risks when they call these share riding services. BUT..wait...at least you would know the difference between getting into a yellow taxi cab versus some black vehicle with maybe a hard to see decal on the vehicle.
They just need to stop all of this.I knew years ago when Uber started to come out that this was a crazy idea....but as usual..money always wins out with these companies over common sense.
It makes me so angry that this happened to that woman.People need to wake up about these 'car services'. Who cares about how cheap these services are compared to a taxi service.It's not worth it.
You’re preaching to the choir with me, but unfortunately it’s the way of the world.
If the opportunity arises to save $1.50, caution and thinking go out of the window.
The dollar and cent signs appear before their eyes, as that’s all that counts.
If a sourdough loaf was $1.85 in a regular supermarket, and some convenience store began selling it for $1.50, people would form a line down the street to save 35c.
If it was discovered that the $1.50 loaf was baked in a unhygienic shed, with mouse droppings all around, a lot of people would say, “So what, a loaf is a loaf, AND I’m saving 35c.”
Just as if the fare in a Yellow Cab was $18.00, and the driver had jumped through hoops to get a hack licence, including having his record stringently checked, but Uber were offering to do the same job for $14.50, a lot of people would go for Uber, and couldn’t care less if the Uber driver had got his licence from a cereal packet.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:57 AM

17,609 posts, read 15,779,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
You’re preaching to the choir with me, but unfortunately it’s the way of the world.

Just as if the fare in a Yellow Cab was $18.00, and the driver had jumped through hoops to get a hack licence, including having his record stringently checked, but Uber were offering to do the same job for $14.50, a lot of people would go for Uber, and couldn’t care less if the Uber driver had got his licence from a cereal packet.
Highly disagree. Again, this is about the convenience of Uber/Lyft, with the ability to call and track the vehicle live through your phone, among other things. Traditional Taxi companies failed to keep up with technology, and they are paying for it. During peak hours, Uber/Lyft isn't any cheaper than a Taxi. A lot of people would stick with taxi if they has just kept up. Their model is antiquated, and unless they change, they will, in fact, go away.

I can't think of any pro of calling a taxi here, other than the illusion of somehow having a "certified" driver with a clean record.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:53 PM

33,051 posts, read 36,688,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
This might have been discussed but my biggest problem with Uber/Lyft/etc is that they market themselves like "too drunk to drive? call an Uber" Ok, I'm too drunk to drive so I call an Uber. If I am too drunk to drive arent I also too drunk to be able to scrutinize if the car claiming to be Uber is the car that is actually from Uber?
Too drunk to drive isn't terribly drunk. I don't know anyone who's incoherent at .09.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events