Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 01:51 PM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Sad that “counseling” would even be needed. Common sense and solid moral foundations should be enough. That said, I agree with everything you said.

Granted, the new employee should have known that something wasn't right. But when you're new, and you're following the instructions of a superior, you generally tend to do what you're told and ask questions later, if at all. So I'm inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. But the other one? No way. She deserves to take the fall, and take it hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 02:20 PM

350 posts, read 229,491 times
I don't understand why he just laid there without saying anything. If it were me I would have insisted that they give me a blanket or covering....even if it's just for a few minutes until the doctor comes into the room.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:51 PM

14,933 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.king5.com/article/news/i...0-043a01f684c9

This is shocking beyond belief. It appears the pranking staff members were not fired.

I have never heard of hazing of new medical clinic employees. Anyone else?
If this incident occurred as reported, of course it's outrageous and disciplinary action should be taken against the employee who initiated it. And if there was such an employee, she should be fired and any applicable action taken against her license ( if she has one).

But I have to wonder if this is exactly what happened, the report comes from a local news source always out to create sensationalism where they can, embellishing on details if it's not exciting enough, and from a patient who, while he should not have been treated with anything but utmost respect for his dignity and privacy, seemed to take the opportunity to enhance his own victim status ( it's ruined his life, really????) instead of doing what he could to stop whatever happened there in its tracks.

There's no reason for a undressed draped patient in an exam room to be uncovered until the physician comes in and starts the exam, I've never seen or heard of medical assistants taking off covers just because and letting a patient lie there in all his glory. And "hazing" per se, especially involving subjecting patients to such indignities is never part of new employee initiation.

There was no reason the patient or his wife couldn't have spoken up under such circumstances, demand to be covered ( baloney at not "being allowed") a blanket, if he had demanded to be covered till the physician got in they've have done it. He also could have complained to the physician, and the office manager.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
ok, its about time patients got over themselves!

to actually believe the BS they read in brochures, etc, about compassion, kindness, patient respect....well, WTH do you expect them to put there? "Its our mission to grab as much money as we can from you, by insurance, patient billing, legitimate charges, false charges, double billing whatever works. That ensures our job security. We hold the bottom line, revenue!"

We view the patient with utmost contempt. We make every effort to dehumanize you, degrade you, inflict physical and emotional pain on you. Why? Because we can! You MUST be there, or otherwise you wouldn't. You put up with any crap, because you need us. Its our power kick! Hey, we really don't get paid much, considering, so...we get paid in other ways.

If you dare complain, you will be labelled as a "difficult patient" and won't get the life saving treatment you obviously need. We have our ways! And, we have the doctor's ear! We can really set you up! By the time the doctor gets to you, he's primed with our version of whatever...and you're either on your way out, or, worse, stuck here, not getting the treatment you need, in a timely manner, while we continue to play with you. Because we can! YES WE CAN!!!"

Meanwhile, the "smart" patients endure, don't get into it with petty little staff members, and realize its all part of being a patient.

All of the above is sarcasm, in case some of the less astute don't realize it

Personally, I'm appalled this man was treated this way, but not surprised they weren't fired. To fire them would be to admit the incident actually happened. That would never do!
Sarcasm, perhaps, but also from the perspective of a giant chip on one's shoulder regarding the medical establishment ( and who knows what else?).

I've never been treated in a doctor's office or any other healthcare facility with anything but the utmost respect and kindness. Of course that's always a two-way street.

Old 06-20-2019, 03:01 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
If this incident occurred as reported, of course it's outrageous and disciplinary action should be taken against the employee who initiated it. And if there was such an employee, she should be fired and any applicable action taken against her license ( if she has one).

But I have to wonder if this is exactly what happened, the report comes from a local news source always out to create sensationalism where they can, embellishing on details if it's not exciting enough, and from a patient who, while he should not have been treated with anything but utmost respect for his dignity and privacy, seemed to take the opportunity to enhance his own victim status ( it's ruined his life, really????) instead of doing what he could to stop whatever happened there in its tracks.

There's no reason for a undressed draped patient in an exam room to be uncovered until the physician comes in and starts the exam, I've never seen or heard of medical assistants taking off covers just because and letting a patient lie there in all his glory. And "hazing" per se, especially involving subjecting patients to such indignities is never part of new employee initiation.

There was no reason the patient or his wife couldn't have spoken up under such circumstances, demand to be covered ( baloney at not "being allowed") a blanket, if he had demanded to be covered till the physician got in they've have done it. He also could have complained to the physician, and the office manager.
Many years ago nurses in ob/gyn offices would lay patient back and put legs in stirrups and then disappear for 15 - 20 min. or more till doc came in. We had on gown and cover to knees, but were open—well you get it. They do not do that anymore, thank goodness. Women were treated like pieces of meat.

I agree that patient should have spoken up, but many times patients do not feel empowered enough to do so.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:09 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I think he could have asked for a cover, or even used his clothes to cover up until the doctor came in. I've gone with my mom to her urology appointments and they're less empathetic than the ob/gyn's office, but my mom just complains until she gets what she needs to feel comfortable.

Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:
Many years ago nurses in ob/gyn offices would lay patient back and put legs in stirrups and then disappear for 15 - 20 min. or more till doc came in. We had on gown and cover to knees, but were open—well you get it. They do not do that anymore, thank goodness. Women were treated like pieces of meat.

I agree that patient should have spoken up, but many times patients do not feel empowered enough to do so.
Yup, I remember those days, too. Often "my private area" would get pretty cold because of how cool the room was or the fan or air conditioner was blowing on my bare exposed skin.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:57 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
I live in the state of Washington and have had very incompetent medical treatment and dealt with medical office staff who I believe were truly mentally ill...so I am not surprised by this.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:44 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,374,939 times
Sensationalist news.

"The Kirschners said it got worse from there. The more experienced clinic employee exited the room, leaving the brand new assistant inside, staring at the patient. The couple said the tense scene went on for 10 minutes until the urologist came into the room.

“Here I am just laying totally exposed," he said. "I’m not allowed to cover myself, and I was just being looked at, literally looked at. (The new employee was) just staring (at me).”

First, no 20-something these days is going to have the attention span to stare for ten minutes.

Second, after about a minute or two I would be asking if they were watching to see it perform tricks.

IMO, the guy is prepping for a lawsuit and to try to cash in. Wonder how he would have survived the draft board short arm inspections of the Vietnam era, where it was "strip, line up, and cough."?

Old 06-21-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:

That's true, and I remember those days in the OB/Gyn office. Glad they're more sensitive to a patient's need for privacy these days.

I can understand a patient's reluctance to speak up, any number of people feel intimidated, helpless under such circumstances and even believe they'll be subject to retaliation as well ( and not just under medical circumstances, either), so they put up with being treated that way.

But what's hard for me to understand is why someone who was apparently so reluctant to 1)speak up for himself under those alleged circumstances, and 2) inform either the physician or the office manager so this could be handled internally apparently gathered enough outrage and "courage" to take his story to the news media, where the incident was made available for public perview and entertainment. And not just that, but granting interviews with the media to air his past demons (ie, sexual abuse as a child, graphic descriptions of his reactions and life disruptions to this incident), making this also available for public scrutiny, well, something about that just smacks, IMHO, of opportunism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events