Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:17 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,768,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I am just a bit skeptical as to how all of this went down -- that's all. "yanked" the cover? I've never seen any nurse, or clinical staff member, yank the cover off of anyone. Every single time, it's been either they ask me to take it off, or they ask permission to remove it. Yanking anything off of anyone is asking to get slapped. I just don't see it happening the way he described it.

Your personal experience is the way it is supposed to happen. It is how I experience being exposed in urology and dermatology settings most of the time. That's not how it was done in Olympia though.

The staff admitted it was a prank. The corporate folks haven't denied that it happened and have apologized promising it won't happen again. It isn't just the guy saying it happened. I realize the word "yanked" can potentially be perception vs it was simply "removed", but the fact remains that she removed the cover needlessly as part of her sexual prank on the newbie. There was no reason to remove the cover until the doctor was ready to do whatever he was going to do, yet it was removed. It was an egregious violation of nursing protocols.

Most people in healthcare may follow professional protocols but healthcare has its bad apples too. I would add that I believe we're talking Medical Assts here which most of the time means little to no formal training and people that may or may not have even graduated from high school. These are not professional level staff. Some may have taken short training programs and received certification as MA's, but they are still at the very bottom tier of healthcare staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 11:48 AM

14,933 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
You are forgetting that the Kirschners got a call from someone in the office saying that it was a prank on a new employee. You are as well forgetting that the corporate offices are not denying that it happened.

Again, the violation was committed the moment the cover was yanked off. Doesn't matter how long it was off nor how Mr. Kirschner reacted in the moment. What the staff did was sexual misconduct under nursing practice standards. That nobody was fired for such an egregious violation is appalling as is the pathetic non-apology apology he got from the corporate office.

Most violation of a sexual misconduct nature never make it into the media, but they continue to happen because the healthcare system tolerates it such as appears to have happened in this case. Nobody who works in healthcare should ever have to be retrained to not be as unprofessional as the staff at the Olympia Urology clinic were. Telling staff not to do it again is hardly holding them to account for their actions.
And you're assuming it happened just as these people claim it did. A lot of righteous indignation and judgement on your part as though you were a first hand witness in the incident. Were you there?

I just have a hard time believing that people who are so shy and apparently too intimidated to speak up in an alleged incident which upset them profoundly and in which they believe their rights were violated ( yet could have been easily corrected had they spoken up), would suddenly overcome their shyness and loosen their tongues to tell the story to the news media, as well as reveal the guys personal demons for public purview and entertainment.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
And you're assuming it happened just as these people claim it did. A lot of righteous indignation and judgement on your part as though you were a first hand witness in the incident. Were you there?

I just have a hard time believing that people who are so shy and apparently too intimidated to speak up in an alleged incident which upset them profoundly and in which they believe their rights were violated ( yet could have been easily corrected had they spoken up), would suddenly overcome their shyness and loosen their tongues to tell the story to the news media, as well as reveal the guys personal demons for public purview and entertainment.
Having personally experienced more care with intimate exposure than most ever will, I know that most of the time it is handled in a professional manner. I also know that occasionally it isn't. Because I have experienced the "occasionally it isn't" I am prepared to speak up when and as it occurs, and I have. That said, the first time it happened I was not prepared because it never occurred to me that it was a possibility, my having bought into the everyone who works in healthcare is a professional mantra up until that point. I was so shocked at what she did that I was the proverbial deer caught in the headlights and was literally speechless. I did not react in the short window I had before she rendered me unconscious. That was in a pre-op setting.

Have you never been taken by surprise in some aspect of your life and not fully reacted as you might have wanted to in retrospect? Bottom line however is that the practice has admitted what they did. If you don't believe Mr. Kirschner, might you believe the practice itself? Someone called him to say it was done as part of a prank. The corporate folks are not denying his account of what happened.

How exactly might the situation have been corrected? Even immediately covering him up again wouldn't have corrected the situation because he should not have been exposed in the first place. The nature of the offense is not contingent upon how long it went on but rather that it happened. Do you really think its OK for healthcare staff to expose patients when there is no reason to expose them? Why would a patient need to be exposed 10 minutes before the doctor arrives when there is otherwise no prep or anything else being done to him that requires exposure? Do you really think its OK in this case because it was a prank directed at a new staff member, and it was just a disabled old man used as the naked prop?

Maybe whoever planned and executed this prank just had a momentary but profound lapse in judgment and is otherwise a total professional but that doesn't make it OK what she did to Mr. Kirschner. What I fail to understand here is that some think if he took it upon himself to quickly cover himself up again that all would be OK.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post

It is just as easy to believe the person who experienced this as it is not to believe. You choose not to believe.

I have tried to get further info about this and have failed. But right now I think an awful lot of people are choosing to blame the victim.

I wonder how you would feel if you were treated badly at a clinic, and you came forward to relate your bad experience, and people chose to not believe you.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
It is just as easy to believe the person who experienced this as it is not to believe. You choose not to believe.

I have tried to get further info about this and have failed. But right now I think an awful lot of people are choosing to blame the victim.

I wonder how you would feel if you were treated badly at a clinic, and you came forward to relate your bad experience, and people chose to not believe you.
I suspect some of the "blame the victim" crowd either work in healthcare and want to cast doubt that there are any bad apples amongst their ranks, or they have never had a bad experience themselves and find it difficult to believe it is possible. The healthcare industry puts a lot of effort into selling the "everyone is a professional" mantra and many, perhaps the majority, of the public believe it. Incidents like this also run contrary to the stereotype that men don't have any modesty. Not only did something very inappropriate make it into the media but it also involved a modest man. So cast doubt on whether it actually happened and blame the victim to counter both.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Perhaps the guy is traumatized by his own inability to establish a reasonable boundary.
Wow.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I suspect some of the "blame the victim" crowd either work in healthcare and want to cast doubt that there are any bad apples amongst their ranks, or they have never had a bad experience themselves and find it difficult to believe it is possible. The healthcare industry puts a lot of effort into selling the "everyone is a professional" mantra and many, perhaps the majority, of the public believe it. Incidents like this also run contrary to the stereotype that men don't have any modesty. Not only did something very inappropriate make it into the media but it also involved a modest man. So cast doubt on whether it actually happened and blame the victim to counter both.
Good points.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:21 PM

If we blame the victim, then we convince ourselves it was their fault, and thus because we are ourselves so wise, we can assure ourselves WE would never have that experience.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:24 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
If we blame the victim, then we convince ourselves it was their fault, and thus because we are ourselves so wise, we can assure ourselves WE would never have that experience.
Yes. Very common little psychological trick.

"He didn't do all he could to avoid this. Can't happen to me because I wouldn't have done what he did."

Old 06-27-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Yes. Very common little psychological trick.

"He didn't do all he could to avoid this. Can't happen to me because I wouldn't have done what he did."
You got it!

You hear this all the time whenever a woman is assaulted. It is very common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events