Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM

7,077 posts, read 8,937,659 times

Advertisements

Back in the 1970s I had a lot of Mad magazines that my mom threw out along with a number of old wrestling magazines and baseball cards that were “too old to ever be worth anything”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 07:35 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Alfred E Neuman finally retires.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I remember my brother buying mad magazine , didn't know it was still around.
Yes, who knew it still existed? I used to read it in the 1960s when I was in 4th-5th grade. Spy vs Spy was my favorite.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:01 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL Newsstands? I can't even remember the last decade I spotted that magazine anywhere.
Some of us still frequent these places called bookstores.

The internet has been a gut-punch to chains. But independent bookstores are thriving. And most of them carry... magazines.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:14 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,049,358 times
It ran it's course long ago.

There are other long-running comedy shows that need to die off too, like the Simpsons, Family Guy, and everything regarding Rick & Morty.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
I remember looking at it a few times back in the mid 80s, when I was middle school aged, some of it was OK, but I never liked it enough to get a subscription to it, I do remember though a lot of older people didnt like this magazine, they thought it was pure garbage, and they really didnt want us kids looking at it.

Nowadays though, with almost every parent of middle school kids, being 'helicopter parents', somehow I bet they have restricted their kids from reading it.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:45 PM

29,820 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
It ran it's course long ago.

There are other long-running comedy shows that need to die off too, like the Simpsons, Family Guy, and everything regarding Rick & Morty.

This is pertaining to the magazine. Mad, the TV series has been gone for quite some time.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 AM

464 posts, read 286,715 times
Yes, MAD magazine was my introduction to politics, I still like the ones from the 60s for the nostalgia.

Each artist had their own unique style, from the outrageous humor of Don Martin and Al Jaffee to the more reality-based Mort Drucker and Dave Berg, it was like several comics in one.

I can't really say I will miss it though, my interest waned in the 80s, the old crew was being replaced and it just wasn't as good.

I bet I had 100 of the magazines and maybe 40 of the paperback books from the 60s and 70s.

You can still find old school used ones for a reasonable price, I got a couple "100 page supers specials" for $5 each at a comic book store here in my town.

Thx

Old 07-07-2019, 02:21 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes, MAD magazine was my introduction to politics, I still like the ones from the 60s for the nostalgia.

Each artist had their own unique style, from the outrageous humor of Don Martin and Al Jaffee to the more reality-based Mort Drucker and Dave Berg, it was like several comics in one.

I can't really say I will miss it though, my interest waned in the 80s, the old crew was being replaced and it just wasn't as good.

I bet I had 100 of the magazines and maybe 40 of the paperback books from the 60s and 70s.

You can still find old school used ones for a reasonable price, I got a couple "100 page supers specials" for $5 each at a comic book store here in my town.

Thx
Yeah, me too. I think I bought every issue from 1974 to 1979. I also would search used book stores and buy all the back issues I could find from the late 60s and early 70s to add to my collection. But about 1980, I just lost all interest in it. I thought I just outgrew it, but thinking back, I think it was going down hill and that's why I lost interest. That and the fact that I was an adult then. When I had to start paying for them myself, it just didn't seem as important. LOL. I think I still have most of my collection in a box of old magazines someplace. But I don't think I have even looked at them in the last 20 or 25 years.

I'm sure I haven't seen a Mad Magazine in the last 20 years. The few times I looked at a copy at a newsstand in the 80s and 90s, it looked like a shell of its former self. Nothing that made me want to buy it. It's hard to believe it even lasted this long.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:51 AM

464 posts, read 286,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Yeah, me too. I think I bought every issue from 1974 to 1979. I also would search used book stores and buy all the back issues I could find from the late 60s and early 70s to add to my collection. But about 1980, I just lost all interest in it. I thought I just outgrew it, but thinking back, I think it was going down hill and that's why I lost interest. That and the fact that I was an adult then. When I had to start paying for them myself, it just didn't seem as important. LOL. I think I still have most of my collection in a box of old magazines someplace. But I don't think I have even looked at them in the last 20 or 25 years.

I'm sure I haven't seen a Mad Magazine in the last 20 years. The few times I looked at a copy at a newsstand in the 80s and 90s, it looked like a shell of its former self. Nothing that made me want to buy it. It's hard to believe it even lasted this long.

Yes, and the price going up to $1.50 and beyond is no longer "cheap."

Of all the great artists I believe Mort Drucker was my favorite, hard to decide, but he was so great with those caricatures from the movies, many of which I saw when they were released, sometimes his drawings looked more like the actor than the actor themselves.

It certainly lost it's edge in the 80s, I used to look at the ones from the 90s and 2000s in the library on occasion and was only marginally amused.

I used to also like the ones from the 1950s, Will Elder:

24 hour shell petrol station

Here is the first Mad paperback book I bought.

And I had pretty much every issue from 1968 to about 1975...

P.S. I found the TV show kind of weak too.

Thx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events