Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 03:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thx-1138 View Post
Yes, MAD magazine was my introduction to politics, I still like the ones from the 60s for the nostalgia.

Each artist had their own unique style, from the outrageous humor of Don Martin and Al Jaffee to the more reality-based Mort Drucker and Dave Berg, it was like several comics in one.

I can't really say I will miss it though, my interest waned in the 80s, the old crew was being replaced and it just wasn't as good.

I bet I had 100 of the magazines and maybe 40 of the paperback books from the 60s and 70s.

You can still find old school used ones for a reasonable price, I got a couple "100 page supers specials" for $5 each at a comic book store here in my town.

Thx
I haven’t seen a comic book store since the 1960s either. Ours was a tiny store called Bob’s Comics and kids would stop by every afternoon after school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 03:56 PM

615 posts, read 340,802 times
Perhaps Mad Mag was always a far lefty satire mag and I didn't notice. To me it is now just another medium that destroyed itself with the decision to bash / insult only half the population (a business model of Late Night Shows, cable news, large news papers, most magazines, etc). Loved Mad Mag back in the 70s, picked up a copy about a year ago and quickly put it back on the shelf, there was no equal satire of both the left and the right.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:07 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,910,863 times
Quote:
Yes, and the price going up to $1.50 and beyond is no longer "cheap."

Of all the great artists I believe Mort Drucker was my favorite, hard to decide, but he was so great with those caricatures from the movies, many of which I saw when they were released, sometimes his drawings looked more like the actor than the actor themselves.

It certainly lost it's edge in the 80s, I used to look at the ones from the 90s and 2000s in the library on occasion and was only marginally amused.

I used to also like the ones from the 1950s, Will Elder:

24 hour shell petrol station

Here is the first Mad paperback book I bought.

And I had pretty much every issue from 1968 to about 1975...

P.S. I found the TV show kind of weak too.

Thx
MAD had some good beatnik stuff, no doubt...

I always enjoyed Dave Berg, and Sergio Aragones, especially. Ken Jaffe was pretty good, too..

Funny mag in 60s and 70s, it think it went a bit downhill in recent years..

Old 07-07-2019, 08:01 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...g-down-855767/
I owe my sense of humor, and early awareness of political events, to this magazine. The 2010s has not been kind to comedy, or print media, so it's not terribly surprising.

Growing up, I loved "Mad".

I think it's a sad casualty of our times.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Perhaps Mad Mag was always a far lefty satire mag and I didn't notice. To me it is now just another medium that destroyed itself with the decision to bash / insult only half the population (a business model of Late Night Shows, cable news, large news papers, most magazines, etc). Loved Mad Mag back in the 70s, picked up a copy about a year ago and quickly put it back on the shelf, there was no equal satire of both the left and the right.
LOL. Its target audience was pre teen boys, around 10-12 yrs old, you do realize this, right?

Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
LOL. Its target audience was pre teen boys, around 10-12 yrs old, you do realize this, right?
I believe the target audience was teenagers and young adults, not 10 - 12 year olds.
It would be silly to market any publication to such a small age group. No matter how popular it could become it wouldn't be successful with just a three year age group.

As I recall years ago the publisher was asked what the target audience for Mad was, and he said he didn't know and didn't want to know. He refused to even do any surveys to find out. Because he said, if they find out the their primary demographic is 13 year old boys, he didn't want the writers to start writing for 13 year old boys and lose everybody else. Which I think he was probably telling the truth. At least back in the day, Mad had enough content to entertain many adults, IMHO.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I think I still have most of my collection in a box of old magazines someplace. But I don't think I have even looked at them in the last 20 or 25 years.
https://www.madcoversite.com/price.html

Old 07-08-2019, 09:03 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Quote:

Each artist had their own unique style, from the outrageous humor of Don Martin and Al Jaffee to the more reality-based Mort Drucker and Dave Berg, it was like several comics in one.

This is a rare photo of the very private late, great cartoonist Don Martin.

https://13thdimension.com/wp-content...17/05/don-.jpg

Full website: https://13thdimension.com/don-martin...-the-nutheads/

Old 07-08-2019, 11:20 AM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I believe the target audience was teenagers and young adults, not 10 - 12 year olds.
It would be silly to market any publication to such a small age group. No matter how popular it could become it wouldn't be successful with just a three year age group.

As I recall years ago the publisher was asked what the target audience for Mad was, and he said he didn't know and didn't want to know. He refused to even do any surveys to find out. Because he said, if they find out the their primary demographic is 13 year old boys, he didn't want the writers to start writing for 13 year old boys and lose everybody else. Which I think he was probably telling the truth. At least back in the day, Mad had enough content to entertain many adults, IMHO.

I was a girl and I started reading it in about 5th grade. I understood the satire perfectly.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:56 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
I didn't even know they were still around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events