Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

This family will probably never recover from this tragedy. I feel so sorry for everyone involved. And no, I do not blame the cruise line. I think this was a tragic ACCIDENT and I am sure the grandfather feels absolutely terrible - grief stricken. And his adult child must have so many conflicting emotions - just absolutely awful all the way around.

I know that my dad loved his grandchildren immensely but he wasn't a great baby sitter. I hate to say it but I could see how this could happen accidentally. And I can only imagine the horrific aftermath of such events. It makes me shudder and breaks my heart if I think about it too much.

As a grandmother, I freely admit that I've lost some of that "hands on" awareness that parents of young children, myself included when mine were young, have. I can't help but imagine the absolute devastation of being the cause in some way of the death of a grandchild. Oh. My. GOSH. A grandparent's first impulse in that case would be to try to comfort their child - but then how could they comfort that child, when THEY were negligent themselves? It's just terrible.

I also don't think this is the fault of the cruise line. It was a tragic accident. Can we please leave it at that?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:42 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,223,963 times
I suppose if the handrails were slickly polished and the child slipped off and hit her head on the floor, then they would complain about there not being a warning about the slick handrails. Well, there would be no problem if they weren't using the handrails inappropriately to WALK on!

Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
There's nothing wrong with it on the face of it, they were trying to keep her entertained. Babies can't do any kind of damage to thick glass like that. You'd barely feel it if a baby hit you.
I was pretty much a free range Mama, but I drew the line at letting them pound on glass.

Seems a stupid way to keep an 18 month old child entertained.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I agree, plus it’s a cruise ship with thousands of areas open everywhere. Anyone can jump over a railing anytime to their death if they’ve a mind to. This child was lifted up to an area that on her own she wouldn’t have been able to reach. That area is like a breezeway porch so of course there’s going to be windows open.

How many signs and warnings do we need as a society? There’s no common sense anymore. The cruise line shouldn’t need a sign addressing the railings or windows or anything. What should the sign say? Uhh, don’t put any people on the railings or lean against windows as they may open up unless they’re already open and you are too dumb to notice it. Also be advised as the entire ship has railings and decks and tons of other windows so please stay away from all railings and windows and decks, oh on second thought, please stay off our ship and go home and hide. Ridiculous! Grandpa was an idiot and accidentally killed his granddaughter. Tragic but it’s all on him.
Bingo.

How many signs would they need to keep idiots from doing dumb things?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I was pretty much a free range Mama, but I drew the line at letting them pound on glass.

Seems a stupid way to keep an 18 month old child entertained.
I was thinking the same thing. Letting a child pound on glass is stupid. They might not be able to do any damage to thick glass, but I don't even see why that's the point; toddlers can't tell the difference between thick glass and glass that might break more easily.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:02 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was thinking the same thing. Letting a child pound on glass is stupid. They might not be able to do any damage to thick glass, but I don't even see why that's the point; toddlers can't tell the difference between thick glass and glass that might break more easily.
I agree and had the same thought. The plexiglass at the hockey rink is indestructible and there's plenty of noise going on during a game, so that's probably fine. Everywhere else, no. Even a toddler can easily learn that the only place she is allowed to pound on glass is the hockey rink. Allowing a child to pound on glass everywhere she goes is bad parenting (or grandparenting), but of course this is hardly the time to point this out to those poor parents.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 PM
bjh

60,079 posts, read 30,382,128 times
Family is finger pointing as a coping mechanism. Bottom line, stupid behavior by an adult led to a tragic outcome.

Old 07-10-2019, 09:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I also don't think this is the fault of the cruise line. It was a tragic accident. Can we please leave it at that?
An accident that was completely preventable.

Im sorry, but I just don't get this line of thinking. An accident would be if the child was running around and tripped and fell over a chair leg.

Dropping a child out an 11 story window? That goes well beyond an accident. He killed his grandchild and ruined the lives of his family.

And maybe trivial, but he also ruined thousands of people's vacation. How can you enjoy your vacation knowing a child died in such a horrific way? How do you sit out on the pool deck, go swimming, enjoy the breeze knowing a child fell to her death out of one of those windows? Obviously a ruined vacation isn't nearly as bad as losing a child, but still, people don't pay thousands of dollars to have their honeymoons, anniversaries, family reunions, once in a lifetime trips, etc... Marred by such a horrifying event.

Old 07-10-2019, 11:36 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Grandpa will probably be treated like the fictional characters, Peter and Pavel, who threw the bride and groom to the wolves. Everywhere they went to escape, the story of what they'd done followed them.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:31 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
An accident that was completely preventable.

Im sorry, but I just don't get this line of thinking. An accident would be if the child was running around and tripped and fell over a chair leg.

Dropping a child out an 11 story window? That goes well beyond an accident. He killed his grandchild and ruined the lives of his family.

And maybe trivial, but he also ruined thousands of people's vacation. How can you enjoy your vacation knowing a child died in such a horrific way? How do you sit out on the pool deck, go swimming, enjoy the breeze knowing a child fell to her death out of one of those windows? Obviously a ruined vacation isn't nearly as bad as losing a child, but still, people don't pay thousands of dollars to have their honeymoons, anniversaries, family reunions, once in a lifetime trips, etc... Marred by such a horrifying event.
You don't "get" that people sometimes make tragic mistakes of judgment? He didn't intentionally do this as far as I can tell. I never said that he was "right," or that it's "OK." I just said it seems to be a tragic accident - you know, as opposed to a murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events