Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 02:40 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,424,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You'd think someone who gets things wrong as often as you do would learn to look things up yourself.

The child was running around playing and ran though an open window after the window was left open by someone working in the apartment.

Look it up; I'm not in the mood to do it for you. It's common cultural knowledge. Just paste this in Google:

"How did Conor Clapton die."

You'll get several pages worth of sources.
Yes he fell out of window, he wasn’t dangled out a window or put on the window sill, it wasn’t moms fault, and nothing I’ve ever read says he ever blamed her. As for getting things wrong that’s a matter of opinion, and I do t think you’re is held by anyone but you. How about getting the giant chip off your shoulder?

Old 07-09-2019, 02:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
This is the deal. You CAN'T sue the cruise line.

The cruise line may pay them a bunch of money to be quiet and go away (Disney parents whose kid was attacked by the gator) but you cannot sue.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes he fell out of window, he wasn’t dangled out a window or put on the window sill, it wasn’t moms fault, and nothing I’ve ever read says he ever blamed her. As for getting things wrong that’s a matter of opinion, and I do t think you’re is held by anyone but you. How about getting the giant chip off your shoulder?
You claimed that the Clapton child was leaning against the window, which isn't true. He was playing and ran through an open window. That's hardly a "matter of opinion" — it's a fact, sorry to confuse you with the truth. You can save your personal attacks; I got a few rep points that indicate otherwise, btw.

I never claimed he blamed her or didn't blame her so not sure what you're on about with that.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-09-2019 at 03:12 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 03:04 PM

8,496 posts, read 3,336,502 times
One other thing ... many here are focused on the railing pointing out it can be foolish to put children on them. True enough, particularly since most railings are designed to keep people from falling over them out into an open space.

But this is a cruise ship and that probably isn't the primary purpose of the railing. It's at the same height as the open window with (almost certainly) the lower windows not opening. Our one trip on Freedom of the Seas was as it crossed the tail end of a hurricane. We were one of the few who remained on the pool deck until it was closed. Even a large cruise ship in that kind of weather moves - a lot - with it incredibly difficult to walk up there without holding on to something. That railing is intended to keep people from slamming into the window wall.

Thinking the window was closed, I can see where the grandfather used the railing to help support the child but then at the same time not prevent her from reaching towards the "window" to bang on it. That scenario seems more likely to me that the one that came thru Port Authority (from the cruise ship line, presumably) that the grandfather "slipped." This ship was at dock, the deck a flat surface.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
This is the deal. You CAN'T sue the cruise line.

The cruise line may pay them a bunch of money to be quiet and go away (Disney parents whose kid was attacked by the gator) but you cannot sue.
Why can't you sue?

I do know lots of businesses make you sign something saying you won't sue, but that doesn't hold in court. It just intimidates people and makes them think they can't sue.

edited to add: A quick google search turns up innumerable threads about cruise line lawsuits, and there are apparently whole law firms who do nothing but that.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:43 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,548 times
The family already has an attorney. The cruise line is not responsible for any of this. Grandpa is. You don’t set a baby on a railing with an open window 11 stories up.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
11 stories up and they didn't feel the breeze through the open window, do parents take any responsibility for their children anymore..

Old 07-09-2019, 05:07 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Unforgivable. Apparently Grandpa was dangling her out an 11th story window.

How ghastly.

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/na...8-dc8fd5d44ef0
No dangling.

Family’s lawyer says the toddler liked to bang on glass, cept it was an open window and off she went.

This is not making sense to me unless the toddler was maybe standing on a chair.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
The family already has an attorney. The cruise line is not responsible for any of this. Grandpa is. You don’t set a baby on a railing with an open window 11 stories up.

That didn't take long. Someone's looking for a pay day, and the family's attorney is blaming the cruise line.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No dangling.

Family’s lawyer says the toddler liked to bang on glass, cept it was an open window and off she went.

This is not making sense to me unless the toddler was maybe standing on a chair.
The only way the baby could be up that high is if Grandpa lifted her on to the rail. Supposedly he knew she liked to bang on glass and was trying to let her do that. I personally would be freaked out if my baby was pounding on the glass of an 11th floor window no matter how unlikely it would be to break, but maybe that's just me.

It's so strange that people are upset that a window was open in an area with small children. The ONLY way a baby could be up that high is if an adult lifted them up. There's no reason to be sealing all the windows; children are not going to just be falling out of windows unless someone is literally holding them up to the open window, and who in their right mind would do that?... Oh, wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events