Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 02:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
See, this is exactly what I'm saying. There is no way a toddler could fall out that window, if she were stood on the railing (where the feet are in the photo).

I still don't know exactly what it looked like - but it didn't look like that photo.

The child would have barely been able to put her fingertips out the window, stretched out.
Yes, a child could easily fall out the window when placed on the railing, and leaning forward.

I don't know why you don't think the windows look like the pictures. They haven't remodeled the ship. That is exactly what they look like all the way around the pool deck.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The window is obviously open in that picture because it's only half-open. How the blue tinting appeared visually to someone can depend on lighting and distance.
The man was only inches away from the window. You would have to be seriously visually impaired to not be able to tell the window was open.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Yes, a child could easily fall out the window when placed on the railing, and leaning forward.

I don't know why you don't think the windows look like the pictures. They haven't remodeled the ship. That is exactly what they look like all the way around the pool deck.
If she had been placed on the railing, standing, and reached forward to hit the window, she would have hit a closed window in front of her. Look at the foot, in the photo, for scale. She would have been about 3 times the length of that foot.

Am I the only one who agrees with that perspective? She wouldn't have been able to stick her head out the open window, she's too short.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
If she had been placed on the railing, standing, and reached forward to hit the window, she would have hit a closed window in front of her. Look at the foot, in the photo, for scale. She would have been about 3 times the length of that foot.

Am I the only one who agrees with that perspective? She wouldn't have been able to stick her head out the open window, she's too short.
She didn't hit a closed window though, because the window was open... She fell out an open window.

Yes, a small child would be too short to stick her head out the window if she were on the ground, but she wasn't on the ground. Her grandfather had placed her on the railing, in front of the open window.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The window is obviously open in that picture because it's only half-open. How the blue tinting appeared visually to someone can depend on lighting and distance.

This was an unlikely accident. It was either unlikely because the grandfather did not see that the window was open or it was unlikely because he somehow "slipped" while standing there, dropping the child through the window.

I suppose I could see someone saying that he tripped - maybe on a lounger leg and in his falling forward against the railing the child flew forward from his hands. But no one is saying that - neither the cruise line (presumably that's the version as given by Port Authority) or the family.

Port Authority: The grandfather sat the girl in the window and lost his balance, and the girl fell to her death. How would you "lose your balance" or "slip" on that decking once presumably stationary - just standing there?

That was a very early story that was not confirmed. In the very beginning there were multiple versions of what happened.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:

It may look different from inside, there may be no tinting on the inside. Depending on lighting and angle of view, it may not look like that photo. Seems like it didn't because both grandpa and the baby thought it looked like glass.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:50 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,338,301 times
Quote:
The man was only inches away from the window. You would have to be seriously visually impaired to not be able to tell the window was open.
What's so haunting about this is the possibility that someone could make a such a horrible mistake. It's natural to want it to be someone's "fault." The grandfather wants it to be the fault of the cruise line if only to partially absolve himself. Hearers may want it to be the fault of the grandfather, that it simply isn't possible for careful people not to SEE a danger.

If this man was holding onto a squirming child and presumably talking to her as he walked towards the wall perhaps he wasn't even looking at the window that closely, or at all. The ones he saw from a distance seemed to be a wall; so all of them were. That's how the human brain works; it generalizes. That's neurologically efficient, until of course a mistake is made.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:58 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
Quote:
Have you ever walked into a sliding glass door?

There is a HUGE difference between a closed sliding glass door located on the ground floor and an OPEN window on the 11th floor with air flowing through it. Doesn't even compare!!!!!

Old 07-10-2019, 03:00 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,982,632 times
Quote:
See, this is exactly what I'm saying. There is no way a toddler could fall out that window, if she were stood on the railing (where the feet are in the photo).

I still don't know exactly what it looked like - but it didn't look like that photo.

The child would have barely been able to put her fingertips out the window, stretched out.
? The railing isn’t where the feet are in that picture, it’s right at the bottom edge of the half open window. A toddler on that railing could easily fall out if the window was open.

Old 07-10-2019, 03:02 PM

153 posts, read 138,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
The handrail was designed and installed at a height for adults to hold onto if the adult needs to help avoid slipping and to hold on to while looking out the windows. It was not designed as an infant seat and thus was misused by the grandfather. He had lacked good judgement sadly when he placed the child on the rail.

O
Yes. Exactly.
How terribly ironic, though, that he chose the one spot along the the rail that had an open window above it. Maybe, as someone else theorized, he was holding the child's hand and allowing her to walk along the rail until suddenly coming upon the open window, at which point she fell through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events