Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

An adult was not paying attention and made a fatal mistake. I couldn't live with myself if I was responsible for it. I don't think the guy needs to be punished any further. He will be burdened with this for the rest of his days.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You don't "get" that people sometimes make tragic mistakes of judgment? He didn't intentionally do this as far as I can tell. I never said that he was "right," or that it's "OK." I just said it seems to be a tragic accident - you know, as opposed to a murder.
I wouldn't even call this an error in judgement. If he had known the window was open but still decided to put her on the railing so she could look out, that would be an error in judgement.

This is a failure to observe that the window he thought was in place, actually was not.

Similar to placing a baby down in the beach sand near a rattlesnake that he didn't see.

He just didn't see that the window was open.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:00 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I wouldn't even call this an error in judgement. If he had known the window was open but still decided to put her on the railing so she could look out, that would be an error in judgement.

This is a failure to observe that the window he thought was in place, actually was not.

Similar to placing a baby down in the beach sand near a rattlesnake that he didn't see.

Like I said, he didn't intentionally kill this child. I feel really sorry for the entire family. He made a tragic mistake with terrible consequences. The entire family will have to assimilate this and live with the horror of this day and his actions for years. What a sad, sad story.

I do think it was a tragic mistake judgment wise but we're splitting hairs now. My point is that I don't think there was any criminal intent or even criminal negligence on anyone's part - not the grandfather's and not the cruise line.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I've observed similar situation as we were raising our kids. It tended to be the men but not always.

Someone would do something I didn't think was safe. I was told to quit being such a worry wart. That they're just having fun. That it was fine. 9 times out of 10 it was.

But the 10th time, someone would get hurt. Invariably the blame would be on the kid for doing something unexpected, or the circumstances, or ... "Who could have seen that happening?"

I did. And I told you to stop.

Of course, the family is blaming the cruise line for putting a safety rail right in front of those windows. Why that was just an invitation for injury, etc.

But odds are 50-50 that grandpa will accept the blame for this.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 AM

Putting a toddler up on a safety rail to bang on a glass window is just stupid.

Not checking to see if the window was actually there is another lapse in judgement.

This was a tragedy, to be sure. But it was an easily preventable tragedy.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've observed similar situation as we were raising our kids. It tended to be the men but not always.

Someone would do something I didn't think was safe. I was told to quit being such a worry wart. That they're just having fun. That it was fine. 9 times out of 10 it was.

But the 10th time, someone would get hurt. Invariably the blame would be on the kid for doing something unexpected, or the circumstances, or ... "Who could have seen that happening?"

I did. And I told you to stop.

Of course, the family is blaming the cruise line for putting a safety rail right in front of those windows. Why that was just an invitation for injury, etc.

But odds are 50-50 that grandpa will accept the blame for this.
My dad was "showing me" how to do some sort of martial art thing when I was a kid and dropped me on my head. I mean, smack on my head. I was about 10 and I guess I'm fine (Jury's still out on that one - LOL) but my point is that my mother, even if she'd been able to do something like that, wouldn't have done it and in fact, she was standing to the side saying, "Oh, stop that! Someone is going to get hurt!" And someone did. My dad was like, "Oops - I'm really sorry about that!" Ouch.

I have observed over the years that some people - like you said, usually men - are just rougher and less cautious with kids, even though there's no doubt in my mind that they love these children. It's almost like they're oblivious to things that (generally) mothers and other female relatives pay close attention to.

Before anyone gets on their high horse about gender, of course I realize there are exceptions and that many men are just as careful as many women, and that sometimes it's the woman who is more careless or less observant. This is just a general statement.

One time, in fact THE one time that I left my kids (school age) with my parents for a weekend, because I had to go on a business trip, my mom later booked one overnight with some church ladies, so the kids were going to spend one night alone with my dad. I said, "Dad, just put in a movie and be sure they have popcorn - let them fall asleep on pallets in the media room, I don't care - it's a weekend night and Mom will be home the next morning. BUT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE THOSE KIDS OVER TO YOUR 85 YEAR OLD MOTHER'S HOUSE - SHE CAN'T HANDLE ALL FOUR KIDS AND DOESN'T HAVE THE ROOM." See I KNEW he was just not wired together to be a good sitter! No sooner was I gone, and my mom gone, than he did exactly that - hauled all four kids over to his elderly mother's house to spend the night. He just couldn't imagine doing it. I was so mad!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-11-2019, 08:32 AM

731 posts, read 767,978 times
This was a horrible incident and I do not believe the grandfather did this on purpose.

I think it is a POSSIBILITY, that the grandfather did know the window was open and just decided to pick up the granddaughter to see the view. And now he is saying he didn't know the window was open to protect himself. I can't even imagine how he must feel.

There are so many possibilities here. I don't think the story about the child banging on glass at a hockey game has anything to do with this. It sounds like an excuse to me. The grandfather took a large risk and the results were unspeakable. One thing is for sure, that poor kid is gone because of a very foolish move that the grandfather made.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My dad was "showing me" how to do some sort of martial art thing when I was a kid and dropped me on my head. I mean, smack on my head. I was about 10 and I guess I'm fine (Jury's still out on that one - LOL) but my point is that my mother, even if she'd been able to do something like that, wouldn't have done it and in fact, she was standing to the side saying, "Oh, stop that! Someone is going to get hurt!" And someone did. My dad was like, "Oops - I'm really sorry about that!" Ouch.

I have observed over the years that some people - like you said, usually men - are just rougher and less cautious with kids, even though there's no doubt in my mind that they love these children. It's almost like they're oblivious to things that (generally) mothers and other female relatives pay close attention to.

Before anyone gets on their high horse about gender, of course I realize there are exceptions and that many men are just as careful as many women, and that sometimes it's the woman who is more careless or less observant. This is just a general statement.

One time, in fact THE one time that I left my kids (school age) with my parents for a weekend, because I had to go on a business trip, my mom later booked one overnight with some church ladies, so the kids were going to spend one night alone with my dad. I said, "Dad, just put in a movie and be sure they have popcorn - let them fall asleep on pallets in the media room, I don't care - it's a weekend night and Mom will be home the next morning. BUT DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES TAKE THOSE KIDS OVER TO YOUR 85 YEAR OLD MOTHER'S HOUSE - SHE CAN'T HANDLE ALL FOUR KIDS AND DOESN'T HAVE THE ROOM." See I KNEW he was just not wired together to be a good sitter! No sooner was I gone, and my mom gone, than he did exactly that - hauled all four kids over to his elderly mother's house to spend the night. He just couldn't imagine doing it. I was so mad!!!!!!!!!
Probably every mother could recount similar tales.

In defense of those who put kids in risky situations, perhaps this helps children develop their sense of adventure and an awareness of where to draw the line.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:18 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
You actually can sue. It is just almost impossible to win. When you purchase your cruise 'ticket' you basically sign away your life.

You know the only people who ever when against cruise lines? The attorneys. There are unethical attorneys all over South Florida who take these cases to milk the plaintiff.

There are maritime law firms all over South Florida but they will not touch cruise ship suits. It is a waste of their time.

I would imagine that the attorney is acting as spokesperson for the family and not neccessarily in a legal manner.
That could be, and the grandfather would need an attorney in the event he's charged with something for being responsible for the accident.

I can imagine the family is in shock and are inconsolable at this point over this senseless tragedy, and the grandfather-well, one can only imagine his grief. And I guess it's human nature to look elsewhere besides oneself to blame for such a tragedy. Perhaps it's part of a denial process under such circumstances when one is unable to face, or even conceive of the reality that his/her own actions caused such a devastating result. I still can't imagine suing under these circumstances, but maybe that is just me.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post

So he was legally blind? There is absolutely no way you do not see that the window is open unless you had serious vision or mental problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events