Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 AM

3,126 posts, read 5,051,193 times

Advertisements

Nothing explains it. There are a percentage of parents/child minders that put their charges into danger daily. The odds are that some percentage will result in tragedy. The ones who have a learning curve figure out that seating a child on hand rails, dangling them out a window, dangling them over a zoo pit, putting them on the roof of the car for a ride or getting behind the zoo safety barrier is a bad idea. The others will lose a small % of their kids to tragedy.

Of course if you tell them they are doing something stupid they will scoff. Just imagine if some well meaning person came up to Grandpa during the cruise and said don't seat your grand daughter on a hand railing, it isn't safe and she may fall off. He probably would have become incensed and maybe cursed the person out but almost certainly would not have changed his behavior.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:12 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
I think the grandfather just propped her up on the rail without thinking, without a good grasp on her, making the terrible assumption that the glass pane would support the front of her, similar to the way hockey glass would.

Similar to this

Old 07-12-2019, 09:15 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
[url]
I cant find the story I saw this morning but the picture in this article was attributed to the father of the girl reportedly taken "shortly after". Obviously its a bit later because of the police tape and such but its also dark. I thought I had heard it was like 5 pm. So I don't know what or when
Yes, it happens at 5pm, so the photo was taken much later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The next time you're at a zoo or an aquarium, notice how many parents do this with similar sized children.
Do what, bang on the glass? I sure hope parents aren't letting their children do that. That's horrible for the animals inside the enclosure. There are always signs everywhere saying not to bang on the enclosures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm very confused by the photo in post #248. There's a sign saying "open window" pointing to what looks to me like a pane of glass, i.e. a CLOSED window. The pane to the right of it appears to be open. If that window marked "open" is actually open, then I guess I couldn't have told it was open either.
Really? You can't even see out the closed windows in the picture due to the tinting. You can clearly see out into the city from the open windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think we are “defending” the granddad as much as saying he wasn’t doing anything g different than millions of other grandparents do, indulging a little girl he loved and he made a mistake in judgement resulting in tragedy. I don’t think it’s that out of the norm what he did..
No, a million other grandparents do not put their grandchildren in a situation that causes their death.

I really don't get why people want to pretend like this type of behavior is completely normal.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:26 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Do what, bang on the glass? I sure hope parents aren't letting their children do that. That's horrible for the animals inside the enclosure. There are always signs everywhere saying not to bang on the enclosures.
I think she meant a lot of parents sit or stand their kids on rails, rails that are clearly not meant for that purpose. I see it all the time and a surprising number of those parents don't have much of a grip on their kids either.
And what???? you think people read signs? AND pay attention to what they say? You know it isn't so.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I think she meant a lot of parents sit or stand their kids on rails, rails that are clearly not meant for that purpose. I see it all the time and a surprising number of those parents don't have much of a grip on their kids either.
And what???? you think people read signs? AND pay attention to what they say? You know it isn't so.
This is funny, but horrible at the same time. So, the signs are there not so much to deter people (if we know that some people won't read or heed them), but mainly to avoid insurance liability for the facility owners? Gawd, what a world!

Old 07-12-2019, 10:44 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,579 times
I believe he held her up to look at the view. He had to know the window was open. It was no more than 6-12 inches from his face. He did not expect her to lean forward to bang on the glass. When she did, he lost control of her because he was not holding her tight enough. She may have been leaning back and resting on him prior to lunging forward. Like others have said, baby and toddler physical behavior can be unpredictable.

If indulging her love of banging on glass was so important - why hoist her up? The lower glass panels would have sufficed.

After the accident, one of the parents or grandma may have said "Why did you do that? You know she likes to bang on glass." Next line of thought - hire an attorney and blame the cruise line.

It was a horrible accident that could/should have been prevented. While I feel bad for the family, I feel worse for the baby.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:59 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
I believe he held her up to look at the view. He had to know the window was open. It was no more than 6-12 inches from his face. He did not expect her to lean forward to bang on the glass. When she did, he lost control of her because he was not holding her tight enough. She may have been leaning back and resting on him prior to lunging forward. Like others have said, baby and toddler physical behavior can be unpredictable.

If indulging her love of banging on glass was so important - why hoist her up? The lower glass panels would have sufficed.

After the accident, one of the parents or grandma may have said "Why did you do that? You know she likes to bang on glass." Next line of thought - hire an attorney and blame the cruise line.

It was a horrible accident that could/should have been prevented. While I feel bad for the family, I feel worse for the baby.
I just want to state that hiring an attorney after something like this is a necessity today. The lawyer is currently acting as the family's spokesperson and also present while the police in Puerto Rico interviewed the family. It doesn't IMO say anything about them that they hired an attorney. The family still hasn't been able to see the surveillance video of the fall, and that's with an attorney. It wouldn't surprise me if they were getting death threats. The attorney today is a guard dog and bouncer as well in these situations.

I'm not saying they aren't going to sue, I'm simply pointing out that the fact they hired one does not in any way mean they responded to the death of their child with the thought of winning cash.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:05 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I just want to state that hiring an attorney after something like this is a necessity today. The lawyer is currently acting as the family's spokesperson and also present while the police in Puerto Rico interviewed the family. It doesn't IMO say anything about them that they hired an attorney. The family still hasn't been able to see the surveillance video of the fall, and that's with an attorney. It wouldn't surprise me if they were getting death threats. The attorney today is a guard dog and bouncer as well in these situations.

I'm not saying they aren't going to sue, I'm simply pointing out that the fact they hired one does not in any way mean they responded to the death of their child with the thought of winning cash.
They hired the attorney to try and put all the blame on RC. Every statement made by their lawyer is about how RC was negligent, they shouldn't have windows that open, etc...

Old 07-12-2019, 11:18 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
You know how they say babies have a swimming instinct up to a certain age? If you put a baby in water it’s supposed to be able to swim or tread naturally. It would be cool if babies also had a flying instinct. So if something like this happens she can sprout little wings and glide down to the ground.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You know how they say babies have a swimming instinct up to a certain age?
I think you're thinking of dogs. Babies don't have a natural swimming instinct. They make instinctively make similar movements in water, but definitely can't swim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events