Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 08:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think that's what most people would have done. After being found alive and relatively well, give a news conference and thank everyone involved and ask to respect the privacy of the family and stay off social media for a while.
Yes.

I posted this earlier, but when people are rescued the audience wants a thrilled, joyful person to make the media rounds but they're unable to do it.

Because they're suffering from early PTSD symptoms.

After this ordeal, it's truly unusual to see someone bask in the spotlight and so very much enjoy retelling the story of escaping into the harsh desert to avoid an assailant who was tracking her.

Especially in the light of the fact that LE isn't acting to chase down the knife guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 08:06 AM

14,321 posts, read 11,719,111 times
The fiancee hates "white cis-het men" so much, it's a little astonishing she is marrying one.

The family is completely bent out of shape because no one believes the mom. The fact that even law enforcement is skeptical doesn't mean that no one believes women when they say they've been attacked by a sexual predator, it just means no one believes women whose stories change so fast it appears they're making up details as they go along and forgetting what they made up before. As she ran she grabbed her tiny dog who couldn't walk, then found water in a stagnant pond that turned into a spring that tasted so good she decided to leave and go elsewhere, first tying up the beloved tiny dog next to what was now a stagnant pond again. It was so important to take the dog with her while running for her life that now she abandons it? And the dog that couldn't walk freed itself from its leash while magically keeping its collar intact and wandered 200 yards away. She "traveled" by night to avoid being seen by the predator, except she never saw him after the first day and wasn't worried about seeing him again so she was traveling at night to avoid dehydration. Despite that spring. And four days of "traveling" got her no more than 2.5 miles from her starting point. Good grief!

Also there is the little fact that there is no evidence. No one else anywhere around saw the man. She provided only a vague description. There are no footprints (except hers; somehow hers were still there in the campground although the man's were obliterated by other people walking around the area). There are marks on her arm that apparently could be scratches from rocks or vegetation (or cactus...hmmm).

Last edited by saibot; 07-18-2019 at 08:45 AM..

Old 07-18-2019, 08:12 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
There was a lot of people questioning things on the INYO County Sheriffs facebook page. I don't know anywhere else its being discussed.
I looked at a Daily Mail article about it because they usually manage to get details American newspapers don't have, and every single comment of the 200 or so said something to the effect of, "Something's fishy about her story."

Old 07-18-2019, 08:24 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I looked at a Daily Mail article about it because they usually manage to get details American newspapers don't have, and every single comment of the 200 or so said something to the effect of, "Something's fishy about her story."
I can't post a link, because we're not supposed to when the target is another discussion forum, but most of the comments are disbelieving on the site that starts with red and ends with dit.

If the fiancee is driving this narrative -- and that seems to be what Powell Junior is saying -- she is doing her future mother-in-law no favors. People will regard Sheryl Powell skeptically for years to come. Her friends will be put in the unenviable position of having to defend her public comments.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:27 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I was thinking he must have been in his 80s or had a severe disability.
She said he was around 50.

Must have been really out of shape not to be able to catch her. Or, maybe he had a bum leg like the dog.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I can't post a link, because we're not supposed to when the target is another discussion forum, but most of the comments are disbelieving on the site that starts with red and ends with dit.

If the fiancee is driving this narrative -- and that seems to be what Powell Junior is saying -- she is doing her future mother-in-law no favors. People will regard Sheryl Powell skeptically for years to come. Her friends will be put in the unenviable position of having to defend her public comments.
It's being discussed on the facebook pages of media sources, comments on their stories.

The ONLY site I've seen where Powell's story is believed is on their own family facebook pages, because they're speedy quick to delete doubters.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:35 AM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Love how the brilliant fiancée wrote “womxn” instead of women. She hates men that much? Oh sorry—White men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The fiancee hates "white cis-het men" so much, it's a little astonishing she is marrying one.
Okay, now I'm really hoping this turns out to be a made-up story, and I hope it's well publicized. Then let's see what this fiancee womxn posts to facebook. Waiting with bated breath.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:43 AM

1,153 posts, read 567,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
Love how the brilliant fiancée wrote “womxn” instead of women. She hates men that much? Oh sorry—White men.

And as the daughter of a mom who had dementia I don’t need her speaking on my mother’s behalf.
Sorry. A bit off topic but: ugh.

I object to people writing 'womxn' - we're women, it's spelt w-o-m-e-n and we've been around since forever, please stop trying to re-brand us as mostly transgender or whatever.

(P.S. Wasel, not aimed at you, aimed at the fiancee, just couldn't find the original quote)

Old 07-18-2019, 08:48 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yeah sorry, I am not taking time to scoop up a dog if someone is standing there threatening me with a knife. Dang that guy was slow. Maybe he was actually a turtle?
She DID say he was wearing dark green....

Old 07-18-2019, 09:35 AM

501 posts, read 360,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And I have another, very minor, point to bring up. Sheryl stated she tied her dog Miley up by the water hole, and somehow Miley escaped the leash.

When found, this dog was wearing her original collar, and blue ID tag, but apparently with no leash.

How does a dog escape being tied up, where they somehow disconnect their leash but their collar is still intact?
Miley watched enough of Lassie in action to figure it out !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events