Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 02:39 PM

4,417 posts, read 3,497,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Have you ever fallen on a prickly pear? They are very tough. They do not just break off. I cannot imagine how you would cut off a tail without a knife. (Fruit seems to come off easier when it is ripe anyway). Also they are prickly. In addition to the spines they are covered with hairs that have a mild irritant chemical in them. the hairs are really irritating. you do not want to get them in your mouth, that is for sure. Maybe she had some duct tape to remove the hairs.

It sounds difficult to just eat one in the wilderness, according to this article. https://www.thespruceeats.com/prickl...-fruit-2343047

"When picking a prickly pear cactus fruit, you must protect your hands. You can use thick gloves or an old towel folded into a couple of layers. Six paper towels stacked together should also work just fine. Use the gloves or towels to grip the fruit, and gently twist it. The greener fruits will require a firmer grip and more twisting, and the riper fruits will pop right off with very little effort. Place the fruits into a bowl or basket. Do not touch the fruit with your bare hands. You will need to get the glochids off so that you can handle the fruit. (If you purchase the fruit from a store, these glochids should already be removed.) The glochids can easily be burned off over an open flame."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 02:40 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,036,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I had to look it up. Her fiancé happens to be a white cis het.
Don't assume.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasel View Post
It sounds difficult to just eat one in the wilderness, according to this article. https://www.thespruceeats.com/prickl...-fruit-2343047

You will need to get the glochids off so that you can handle the fruit. (If you purchase the fruit from a store, these glochids should already be removed.) The glochids can easily be burned off over an open flame."
Glochids. I have never seen that word before. Is that the hair?I googled it but the definition is not clear.

a barbed bristle on the areole of some cacti.

Definition of areole. : a round or elongated often raised or depressed area on a cactus which is equivalent to a bud and from which spines, flowers, stems, or roots grow.

Still not clear. Glochids must be either spines or hair, not sure which one.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:54 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,437,690 times
The tiny hairs are the worst. I have worn really thick gloves and still gotten poked by them.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:04 PM

Maybe she had a potato peeler in her pocket. That is what my friend and I used when he showed me how to eat them. A potato peeler works great and it would explain a lot. Someone needs to tell her she was peeling potatoes for the camping trip before they left and absent mindedly shoved the peeler into her pocket. Then her story woudl make more sense. Anyone know how to get her a message?

Old 07-18-2019, 03:17 PM

7,258 posts, read 7,125,418 times
So the whole thing sounds made up.

I'm voting for domestic dispute (husband grabbed her arm) she fled when he drove off to move the car. She stayed hidden and ignored his calls. After spending a night out there she woke up and realized she wasn't sure what direction to go so down seemed the best choice. Then she got into trouble without food or water.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:53 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,241,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Actually, that area is probably too dry for very many mosquitoes to be around. I've been bitten plenty, but only in swampy areas or while hiking through vegetation near streams or lakes. There are few bugs in the more arid parts of California mountains, which this definitely was.
Tried to rep you. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

Now there’s a 69 year old woman missing since Friday in the Mohave. https://people.com/human-interest/wo...-hike-husband/
From your article, this is almost humorous. Who hikes in a bikini? I do hope she is found safe.

"Robert said he believes his wife, who was wearing a bikini and carrying a beer in her hand, might have been picked up while crossing the road to get back to their trailer and taken to Las Vegas."

Old 07-18-2019, 03:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 2,171,444 times
Our neighbor has prickly pear cacti.

One evening, our university student daughter walks into our house and I realize something is very wrong. All the color is drained from her and she looks very wobbly. I have no idea what on earth the matter is, but we immediately begin to assist her and discover her hand has been deeply cut (apparently, she wrapped the wound and sat with her head between her knees for some time before we saw her). It turns out she asked the family next door if she could cut off a pad or fruit or some bit of a prickly pear cactus to take to a classmate who was starting a research project on them. She is very experienced with plants and bugs and the outdoors and I am sure she proceeded with caution, but even so her hand slipped...

She needed several stitches. I don't even need to ask her opinion on the validity of the cactus eating/drinking with no tools or gloves or towels theory.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,145,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Don't assume.
True that.

Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM

8,349 posts, read 3,559,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
My wife and I were visiting Yosemite National Park several years ago and had a very frightening experience while in the woods. We had taken a path and walked a quarter of a mile or, when all of a sudden it became noticeably quiet no sound whatsoever, there’s always sounds of birds and animals around but this as dead silent without even a breeze blowing. We looked at each other and turned around to head back to the SUV in the parking lot. Never had I been in the wilderness or woods and not heard wildlife of some sort. Things just didn’t feel right, very scary!
If a predatory animal is about the birds and other small animals hide and get really quiet. If you don't hear the small critters that's when something isn't right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events