Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 01:49 AM

21,535 posts, read 8,719,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I read recently that the decline in population will have a dramatic effect on the economy, housing prices will drop, those that have children will be in large part from the Judaeo-Christian community. The Earth will start to decline in population by 2060 with a dramatic drop in population by 2100.
Population decline? I've never heard that before. You may be referring to the rate of population increase, which is declining. But since 1952 the world population has tripled, and it continues to increase at an alarming rate. https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,335,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Population decline? I've never heard that before. You may be referring to the rate of population increase, which is declining. But since 1952 the world population has tripled, and it continues to increase at an alarming rate. https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
To keep up with the current number of people every woman has to have 2.1 children. The list of nations that are below the 2.1 growth rate continues to grow. While the UN continues to say that the Earth will have over 10 billion people by 2100, many researchers have looked at the UN numbers and questioned them. While schools continue to teach that the world has a population problem, the reality is that as Nations have become educated, birth rates decline. On top of that many Nations have encouraged limiting the amount of children a family can have.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/scie...tter-1.3808527

https://medium.com/s/story/by-the-en...k-2f606c1ef088

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-rates-decline

https://www.wired.com/story/the-worl...out-of-people/

Old 08-13-2019, 09:17 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,890,151 times
Then there's Poland and Hungary, which are urging their citizens to reproduce.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:19 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,979,232 times
Is NOT having 10B people on Earth by 2100 a terrible thing, though? Obviously, the population dropping too drastically can have some negative impacts but I'm with those who think there are too many people on this planet already, and I also think we're not taking care of it nearly as well as we could. I would love to see all nations develop and find ways to better take care of the planet and even use birth control; that would be ideal imo. Ideal but sadly probably unlikely, at least for the next couple of generations.

Pollution and sanitation in many third world countries is often just horrible; there are rivers and bays full of trash and people using the bathroom out in the streets or openly on beaches. If anyone is conscious of population control/too many people on Earth, it should be people in these types of areas before anyone else but unfortunately the eduction and resources often just aren't there.

Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I don't think the majority of people who don't want kids are doing it for their planet.
Oh come on. That's what I've been telling myself and others for years!

I love my planet!

Old 08-13-2019, 02:28 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,635,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I All living beings have a strong desire to replicate themselves.
Not ALL of us! Shudder. No desire here.

What if every person was coerced into adopting a rescue animal? No matter if they LIKED animals or had the proper housing or financials....

Sort of like that.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:07 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
On the other hand, I have four daughters. I won't need nursing home insurance. I'm raising my owned skilled nursing facility.
I’m eating my heart out, I have two sons that I’d die for, they could have a kidney each, my liver, bone marrow, my heart if one of them needed it, but if I got sick, they’d say, “Jeez, bummer dad, let’s Google nursing homes, have you got any money?”
My brother-in-law, two daughters, has no worries at all, if his wife is out of town, his girls fight over who can fix dad his favourite dinner.
My ace in the hole is my granddaughter, but her dad, my youngest, would probably say, “Grandpa’s too proud to take any help, pass daddy the remote sweetheart.”

Old 08-17-2019, 04:17 PM

22,327 posts, read 29,411,685 times
I celebrate Childfree day everyday!!! Cheers!!

Old 09-23-2019, 10:03 PM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times
I'm so thankful I have 3 children. They are adults now. Yes, it was difficult at times but definitively worth it. It made me a more selfless person and the rewards have been great. I love to see them give back to society and be a positive force in the world. Now, they are thinking of marrying and looking to start families of their own. I have a relative that chose not to have kids and she's 60 now. She struggles with loneliness and depression and spends a lot of her time criticizing our kids and those of us that decided to have them. If you chose NOT to have kids be confident of your choice. Don't be jealous and bitter of others who chose to have them. My co-worker was 62 and cried at work more then once about not having children and that there wasn't anyone to look after her in her old age. She'd watch 'Leave it to Beaver' before work. I felt sad for her.

Old 09-24-2019, 07:53 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
I'm so thankful I have 3 children. They are adults now. Yes, it was difficult at times but definitively worth it. It made me a more selfless person and the rewards have been great. I love to see them give back to society and be a positive force in the world. Now, they are thinking of marrying and looking to start families of their own. I have a relative that chose not to have kids and she's 60 now. She struggles with loneliness and depression and spends a lot of her time criticizing our kids and those of us that decided to have them. If you chose NOT to have kids be confident of your choice. Don't be jealous and bitter of others who chose to have them. My co-worker was 62 and cried at work more then once about not having children and that there wasn't anyone to look after her in her old age. She'd watch 'Leave it to Beaver' before work. I felt sad for her.
I don't expect my daughter to "look after me" in my old age. I mean, if I become incapacitated, she will have to figure out where to stash me or whatever, but it's not as if I expect her to move me into her home and wipe my ass.

My own mother is close to 91, but I don't talk to her every day, and she doesn't expect me to. She always told us to just live our lives and not worry about her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events