Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2019, 07:53 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yes, to be a parent is a difficult and noble task. It deserves respect and admiration. And we need to perpetuate the species so we can continue to be the steward of life on Earth.

Because then we would be advocating the idea that humanity should die out, which is a disgusting idea.
I don't agree. I don't feel a person should be respected because they chose to have sex and make a kid. Producing kids is easy; reproduction by itself does not make a human worthy of respect and admiration. I respect people who work their asses off day in and day out to be good parents; those people who are consistently dedicated and support their children physically, emotionally, and financially.

As for the idea that we are the stewards of life on earth, if we are, we are horrible stewards. If we are the only ones stopping the planet from becoming extinct, perhaps us dying out wouldn't be such a bad thing, because there is a lot of scientific evidence suggesting our careful stewardship is the cause of its rapid demise. I'm not saying we should die out; only that we should change our ways and become the the stewards we really should be and not the destroyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 03:56 PM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

I wouldn't worry so much about the childfree movement eliminating people on earth. Mass shootings are doing that job for us pretty well.
251 mass shootings this year. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. And some people are tweaked because other people aren't having kids?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/break...019/ar-AAF8L02

Old 08-04-2019, 04:59 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,244,809 times
Quote:
251 mass shootings this year. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right. And some people are tweaked because other people aren't having kids?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/break...019/ar-AAF8L02
251 is mass elimination?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 PM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
I'm simply telling you the numbers. What do you want me to do? Cry all over my keyboard while I'm typing?

Hey look, you started this thread and you asked for opinions. You're getting mine. Do I want you to cry all over your keyboard? What an odd thing to ask.

Quote:
I'm not blase about what would happen, either during or after a major pandemic as you seem to accuse me of. I am simply pointing out that overpopulation on our planet is no figment of imagination and at this point, won't be solved by what used to be a very effective way: disease.

I care about the earth. And many, many people who don't want to have children give overpopulation as a reason to not reproduce. I'd say as a group, they're far more concerned about it than you are. Which means they care more for your kids and grandkids than you do.
OK so you think the world is overpopulated and that's your publicly stated reason for not having kids. Whoopie. If you want a medal for caring so much about the earth, you won't get one from me. And it's creepy to speculate how great the earth would be if only a few billion people would die.

Quote:
And no, you don't do the "heavy lifting" in life. We all contribute.
Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:30 PM

1,149 posts, read 934,016 times
I think we do. Let's stop congratulating the high school students, people who live on the system, and those who continue to have unplanned kids and "Don't know what to do!", for popping out kids!

Old 08-05-2019, 01:37 AM

7,027 posts, read 4,889,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
251 is mass elimination?
Huh? Elucidate, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Hey look, you started this thread and you asked for opinions. You're getting mine. Do I want you to cry all over your keyboard? What an odd thing to ask.
I did, didn't I? But you were implying I didn't care enough about what would happen if we had a global pandemic. That's not exactly what I wanted your opinion on.

Quote:
OK so you think the world is overpopulated and that's your publicly stated reason for not having kids. Whoopie. If you want a medal for caring so much about the earth, you won't get one from me. And it's creepy to speculate how great the earth would be if only a few billion people would die.
Um, yes, I think the world is overpopulated. No, that's not the reason I didn't have kids. I just didn't want them (that's reason enough).

What was creepy about the earth back in 1900 when we had about 6 billion fewer people here?

Quote:

Thanks. Thanks a lot.
I'm not saying parents do no work. I just think they tend to overexaggerate the difficulty and the importance of it somewhat.

You're welcome.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:50 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,095,465 times
Quote:
I don't think we're seriously going to run out of people in the near future. I'd personally like to see the world population get down to the levels they were around the early 19th century which were 1.6 billion people. I think those are far more sustainable levels than we have today.

Any pandemic with a kill rate of 50% (which is pretty high) is only going to lower the population to 3.8 billion people, still more than double what it was in 1900. So even the worst disease possible isn't going to stop people from over populating the world.

That's a very sobering thought.

A reduction of about 79% of the worlds population would be beneficial? At the risk of sounding cliche (like the tv commercial); that's not how it works.

Perspective: Detroit. Population decline from it's peak in 1950 to 2017 was 37%. Abandoned buildings overtaken by trees, urban decay, rampant crime & abject poverty ... And what you suggest would double that decline & on a global scale.

So much for agricultural technology, species conservation, forestry services, national parks, strong military, 1st world healthcare or law enforcement. We need people. Healthy, well-educated people.

We need to re prioritize health care; the biggest risk is not measles (fever & spots?). Even Ebola has nothing on the neurological horror of 1 in every 45 children now suffering developmental delay. We don't need to spend millions in Africa on spotless surgical theaters that only do sterilization when IV fluids would save thousands from Malaria.

We need babies. Healthy & happy babies. If you don't personally want them, that's fine; not everbody does babies best; there are other contributions to be made but population decline isn't the answer to our problems. That's actually just not how any of this works.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
I wonder how many parents actually don't like being parents and won't say so because they know they will be mercilessly attacked for admitting the truth. I know some must not like it.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM

949 posts, read 572,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
251 is mass elimination?
Well, it's for the politicians to use and not do anything about.

Old 08-05-2019, 02:15 PM

500 posts, read 359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Even worse is Grandparents Day. Seriously, celebrating people because their children had children?

https://nationaltoday.com/national-grandparents-day/
My favorite bumper sticker follows this line of thinking.....

"Only the best mommies get to be grandmommies"....

I smile everytime I see this one...

My grammie was mean and bitter, my mom was worse...

Mom did get a grandchild from my younger brother....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events